RANTS!

Mr. K
Forum God
Mr. K
Forum God

Jan 21 2008, 07:47 PM #1

I realized that with so many different people that pass through here we all have opinions and beliefs. Sometimes we want to rant about it or share our beef about whatever. I do mean whatever, because it doesn't have to be something huge...sometimes even the smallest thing bothers us.

Trust me I know :P

I got to thinking after bringing up a tiny rant in the Intro's with Cupcake and Tats, that since not all of us wish to blog, we are free to express here if anyone wishes. So this thread is dedicated to rants...go ahead and bitch XD

OH and remember we should respect people's beliefs even when you don't share the same opinion. Debates are good but if it gets nasty Mr. K will cap your ass ^____^

I'll even start mine off with a pet peeve of mine. It is something that has bothered me ever since I got into writing Fanfiction.

In the beginning I wasn't the best writer, my grammar sucked, my structure needed work etc. Now days I feel confident my writing skills have improved greatly. But I never have let that confidence go to my head and I don't go around flaming people just because I know better or I like the sound of my own voice (if you can actually call it that over the internet).

For me writing was and is an escape, it's like reading a good book you can't put down, it's exciting and entertaining. Sometimes it's just to make myself laugh. As I always said, a persons story should be written for themselves first and then for their audience if they wish to post it up for the world to see.

Ok, me is rambling lol. What I'm getting at is people that attack and flame the little guy. People that create communities all for the sake of bashing writers of Gravitation Fanfiction because the author lacks good writing skills. I hope these people realize one day that they are only coming off as bullies and know-it-alls just because they have a god complex or something.

I totally agree with good reviews, when someone gives advice on how to improve or clean up a story. Granted some stuff that people post as stories are spam or obviously someone's gag to get everyone riled up. And it works! LOL!

Of course everyone has a right to their opinion. But it is how you use that opinion that matters to me. When people old enough to know better go around picking on little kids--because some of these flamers are grown women--I get P.O'd! It's not like places like this can be stopped, because the world will always have bullies, people feel accepted when they get together and bully someone else. Stupid human psychology. But to have a poor writers work posted in a place for the world to see, so that a group of bullies can bash and pick that person's story apart is just tasteless.

IT PISSES ME OFF!

I have never had a story posted in one of these communities...don't care if I did anyways. What makes me fume is when they pick on the little guys. How do they know if this bad writer they are picking on doesn't speak English as a first language? Or that maybe this bad writer is only a young person just learning how to write etc? Age ranges in fanfiction, well Gravi fanfiction can be anywhere from what, like 12 to 50! I really could rant about this because there are so many reasons why this pisses me off.

I hate how author's new or old, have to feel like they are entering a new classroom. How they feel they must make that first good impression or risk feeling the wrath of the Gravi bullies. People get attacked for even expressing their reasons for why they wrote their fic the way they did. Like if they paired someone odd together etc...you know fuck them! You just write what makes you feel happy, screw the better writers (actually I shouldn't call them that, because what makes a writer good isn't the same for everyone) with big fucking mouths.

Anyways, why does all fanfiction according to these bullies have to be so spectacular anyways? This is what art is all about...diversity. If you don't like something, don't say something nasty and bad...move on and read something else.

Keep you fat mouth shut!

Phew....so sorry for that I was never bullied as a child, but I have this inner beast for people that pick on others and for the little guys I don't know why. I just do. This needed to come out for years now heh... Feel free to add your own opinion or rant yourself about something new :P

Tatsuha Uesugi
Forum God

Jan 21 2008, 09:30 PM #2

Mmm...I'm not sure that's what she means, Nina. I think she means folks who are mean for the pure hell of it. Unfortunately, I have seen a few of those and it makes me pretty sad. I don't think the anonymity of the internet should preclude the right of being an ass just because a: you can and b: you don't have to suffer the consequences of a face to face. I've seen some pretty nasty things out there. It makes me feel bad for the author or for others that might be wondering if they can write something but decide not to because they're afraid of such rude and nasty comments. Yeah, everything is a gamble and yeah you're putting your stuff up for the world to see and comment on, but there is a thing called civility and there are some that take perverse glee in being as uncivilized as possible.

I had one reviewer criticize an AU fic I did. While I don't agree with some of what she said, I totally agree with the way she did it. She didn't tear me down or make it personal, she just said what she had to say and that was her opinion. It wouldn't have been constructive at all if she'd called me names or was as nasty as possible in her commentary. Seems like an oxymoron to call it constructive criticism at that point when there's absolutely nothing constructive about it.

*hands K a Bass Ale* It's ok...just breathe...LOL. That was a helluva beginning to this humble little thread! :D
"

"Have you ever danced with the Devil by the pale moonlight?"

Mr. K
Forum God
Mr. K
Forum God

Jan 21 2008, 09:33 PM #3

First things first. Making mistakes is part of being human, but if you can fess up to them that makes you even cooler. I mean I make shit loads of mistakes I admit it XD

Yes, for sure. Anyone that risks posting their work online should understand the type of criticism they may face. Of course there is always a way of delivering this criticism that can make all the difference AND actually help the writer/artist whatever.

But see now you think what you said wasn't cool, but it's hard even like it is with real people in front of you, to sometimes keep your emotions or bad day in check. What makes online sharing harder than real life, is the fact it's so hard to convey what you mean to someone online. What you say in a post can mean 10 different things to 10 different people.

Even with the multitude of emotes and stuff etc...it is SO hard to say what you mean and make people understand online sometimes. Don't you find you have to apologize often for something someone else misunderstood? It used to happen to me a lot. Anyways critique is good if it's done to help someone absolutely. :thmbsup:

EDIT: Dear Tats! Wow you understand me SO well! LOL! That is EXACTLY what I meant. Civility. I mean I dunno if I'm the most civilized at times...but I really believe in what goes around comes around kinda philosophy. There seems to be so few people that think and act with common sense anymore. Just a little common sense XD

*puts ale into my Bass Ale glass* You know this really is your glass I'm drinking out of. One day hun it will be yours...that is if I don't accidentally break it or anything ^^;; But that shouldn't happen because it's up high away from me...it should be safe :P

Tatsuha Uesugi
Forum God

Jan 21 2008, 09:59 PM #4

Meheh, I don't think anyone could mistake this emot-- :badbananas:

What's that Lassie? Timmy fell down a well, we're out of milk and Uncle Roscoe is wearing my underwear again?

Yeah, it's very hard to say what you mean digitally sometimes. I too find myself wondering a lot of the person on the other side mistook my intent.

I'm sure whatever you said isn't as bad as you think it is. It usually seems worse to you than it does to the other person.
"

Mr. K
Forum God
Mr. K
Forum God

Jan 22 2008, 12:03 AM #5

Yeah it's such a fine line what is good random and bad. And everyone has different tastes and such so it's hard to make everyone happy. I think what I'm trying to say is like when our mothers say "If you can't say something nice don't say it at all." It's just that sometimes what people to say, the mean things, are totally unnecessary.

I mean I read stuff and laugh at how stupid it is, or how poorly written it is. And often that giddy fangirly sugar induced fic make me want bang my head on my desk. But, I don't say anything to them..I just leave it alone. That stuff will never go away and I know my complaining wont do anything.

Now perhaps if it was to save the Yaoi whales or something. I may join in lol!

I mean I suppose if a person admits to writing bad on purpose because they are lazy...man maybe those people really do want to be flamed or something XD There are all kinds of silly people out there both being writers and the readers/reviewers.

People are so amusing.

And of course..this place is for whatever rant you want to get off your chest. If it makes you feel better by all means hun ^^

Mr. K
Forum God
Mr. K
Forum God

Feb 21 2008, 06:41 AM #6

This is VERY surprising even to me lol! But, I realize the fine line between people having their freedom of speech and the fanfic bullies I ranted about here previously. I think what I hated about my fanfic bully rant was the fact it's like a group of people attacking the small guy. Like a group of nittering hens all cackling about someone else's misfortune of not writing a good fic.

That image alone is what really gets me.

I still don't think it's nice and yes I do believe that people can find a more constructive way to deal with their dislikes instead of advertising peoples fics. It is the unfortunate way of the Internet I'm afraid. But I solely believe that you're at risk when you post up anything on the net...that is the risk we all take. As Tats said, people need to act with some civility.

But today I came across the other side of the street, so to speak. There was this person on FF.net that claims to stand up for authors who are victims of someone's badfic ranting on her Livejournal. She posts on FF about how this badfic flamer posts only on her LJ, bashing authors stories and is a coward for not telling her thoughts to the authors themselves...instead of hiding on LJ and bashing stories there. This hero-person calls herself Duck Dodgers IV XDD! Found HERE

At first I thought that wow how interesting that someone is doing this. But then I thought that this stuff isn't really a story and why is it posted on FF? I thought maybe this person had some guts to stand up for the little guy...only dear god was I wrong!! I read her reply to a person that reviewed her statement HERE Wow, right?

That's what I thought!

It became apparent that this Duck person is possibly just a troll, a spammer looking for attention or something. (If you look at Duck's FF profile you'll notice she has posted warnings all in the last three or so days XD! All about this Bad_fics87 person...vendetta perhaps?) Maybe she thinks what she's doing a good deed, I dunno. I looked on the LJ site of Bad_fic87--the person that is apparently so wrong for having posted flames about fics she/he did not like. HERE in Bad_fics87's journal it is obvious the Duck Dodger has made a stand. Funny, that it only seems to be everyone BUT Bad_fic that replies to her. Anyways, after looking over the amusing posts, it is obvious that the people standing up for Bad_fic87 are arguing with the same person lol! Sure Duck puts a different email and such at the bottom of her posts, but I checked those emails and most are nothing and others lead to one LJ and a Deviantart account. Either it is the same person or Duck Dodgers is using other people's emails. I dunno, but doesn't all those LJ posts sound the same? Am I the only one that thinks this is true?

Anyways, I can't believe for once I'm siding with the Bad_fic87 person. Sure they are being nasty, but they are doing it on their own journal all by themselves. They haven't got a group of cackling people to bash the fic. It's still annoying to see someone that makes a journal just to bash people's fics...but it's not like you can stop them. It's not like Gravi Bad Fic or the million other badfic comms can stopped...unfortunately it is a part of life AND their freedom of speech. I mean this Bad_fic person doesn't even get many replies if ever about her flame-y posts.

LOL! I found this whole thing very amusing in a stupid twisted way. My drama for the day...lol Perhaps the acts of stupid humans is entertaining, because just when you think people can't get any weirder...I find stuff like this. But I guess I couldn't believe I thought Duck could have been one of the good guys...but they only turned out to be another bad guy. What a shame...

Actually I think Duck Dodgers has multiple personalities or is really bored lol! But this time I must side with the Freedom of Speech side. Not the tasteless flamming side...NO...the freedom that gives people the opportunity to say what they want.

:hockeysmile: That was a load of stupid, eh? I just HAD to say this somewhere!!

Shuichi Shindou
Forum Ruler

Aug 4 2008, 12:33 AM #7

I have a rant.

Well more like a: NOOOOOO!!!!!!

Look what happened to SHU!! LOOK! O.O!! (too lazy to explain it again)

Yuki! why did you let me drive that day?!!! T.T

and there goes my NDK.. and the start of &#036;&#036;&#036; indebtness.. *sob sob* and now the fact that I have to rely on rides now >< Arg! i'm so sad and frustrated and ..sad.. *sniffle* Well.. I guess its time to find me a 3rd job ... ='( fiddlesticks..

Tatsuha Uesugi
Forum God

Aug 4 2008, 01:47 AM #8

D A M N! Are you kidding me? That's ridiculous suckage! Sorry this happened to you but honestly, it could've been way worse. You could have been seriously hurt, so I am glad you're well enough to be pissed about it!

Doesn't your insurance take care of any of it? The good news is, from my experience, as long as there're no engine parts messed up, the car body is cake to fix. They'll buff and undent and give you new doors all day long. Let one thing go wrong with your engine and they'll slap a big ass TOTALLED sign on it cuz they don't want to pay for it.

What's NDK?
"

Mr. K
Forum God
Mr. K
Forum God

Aug 5 2008, 03:56 PM #9

OH MY! That is awful! Poor you and your poor car v.v I'm glad to hear you're all right though. It sucks SUCKS how life works out that way. Like just before you are going on a much awaited trip, and something like this happens.

I call that MURPHY!

Isn't there anyone else that can drive? Or maybe you could bus it to the con?

manhug

Shuichi Shindou
Forum Ruler

Aug 6 2008, 04:10 PM #10

aww thanks guys. I'm feeling better already. you're right it could have been a lot worse, all I got was a couple of bruises and a scratch on one of my fingers from when i clenched the steering wheel so tight but nothing else, not even any other cars phew!

But still.. yeah *sob* my trip... well i'm looking around for other drivers but the thing is also a place to stay. Since i won't be able to afford my hotel room anymore *le sigh* ='( and i had 2 other companions..

BTW NDK is Nan Desu Kan. a promising looking con that takes place in Denver, CO each year (for 10 years now?) Vic Mignogna (my fave VA) was going to be there =( so that's why i sprinted for getting the trip (plus since its not that big a drive to get there) but as i researched it, it looks really bad ass and one of the biggest cons in the states. looked awesome!

my car is being fixed at the moment (still don't know how i'ma pay). Oh! and as for the insurance.. after the calculations we decided not to get the insurance involved. it worked out better in my favor and price. >.>

luckily though.. It wasn't too long after that I learned that my state is FINALLY going to have an anime CONVENTION!! and its the weekend before NDK so hooray! i'll be able to go there ! it'll be a first year one though so its gonna be small and such but its looking more promising everyday !! yay!! ^-^ *excitedness*

Pinkkiller
Forum God

Aug 17 2008, 10:50 PM #11

My God i didn't see this until now.. Man Shu, that must've been horrible.. I'm thinking about you, and i hope you are alright! :hug:

Shuichi Shindou
Forum Ruler

Aug 27 2008, 05:20 AM #12

thanks Yuki-love. When you think about me my whole world becomes all better! :wub:

On a slightly brighter, and perhaps creepy note, Hello Kitty came out unharmed. :lol: like the only thing. o.O back there

Sakuma Ryuichi
Forum Ruler

Sep 8 2008, 02:21 PM #13

I have a rant, and then I'm going to go back to read what everyone else ranted about.

I HATE that we here in American will actually have to PAY for decent TV!

I work my ass off, and I'm finally back o/l (online) and I could only afford to get internet, not full cable TV AND internet!

I know I'm a blue-collar worker (hai, Paramedics are the blue-collar workers of the medical profession), but I work DAMN HARD to get what little I have, and now the government want me to 1.) pay around &#036;100 for a box by Feb 2009 or I don't even get the crappy free TV 2.) pay for cable TV or 3.) pay for satellite TV!

IF I COULD DO THAT, I'D NOT LOST MY CABLE IN THE FIRST F*CKING PLACE!

I hate having to choose between car insurance or cable/internet. As it is, the only reason I have internet is because my roomie put it in his name! I owe &#036;400, which I plan on paying off, but they want it all at once!

This sucks. Even Kuma thinks its not fair!

Sometimes, I wish I still lived at home. *pout*

Ryuichi
*~*~*SUPER-GENIUS VOCALIST SAKUMA RYUICHI!!*~*~*

Sakuma Ryuichi
Forum Ruler

Sep 8 2008, 02:53 PM #14

Shuichi Shindou @ Aug 6 2008, 12:10 PM wrote: aww thanks guys. I'm feeling better already. you're right it could have been a lot worse, all I got was a couple of bruises and a scratch on one of my fingers from when i clenched the steering wheel so tight but nothing else, not even any other cars phew!

But still.. yeah *sob* my trip... well i'm looking around for other drivers but the thing is also a place to stay. Since i won't be able to afford my hotel room anymore *le sigh* ='( and i had 2 other companions..

BTW NDK is Nan Desu Kan. a promising looking con that takes place in Denver, CO each year (for 10 years now?) Vic Mignogna (my fave VA) was going to be there =( so that's why i sprinted for getting the trip (plus since its not that big a drive to get there) but as i researched it, it looks really bad ass and one of the biggest cons in the states. looked awesome!

my car is being fixed at the moment (still don't know how i'ma pay). Oh! and as for the insurance.. after the calculations we decided not to get the insurance involved. it worked out better in my favor and price. >.>

luckily though.. It wasn't too long after that I learned that my state is FINALLY going to have an anime CONVENTION!! and its the weekend before NDK so hooray! i'll be able to go there ! it'll be a first year one though so its gonna be small and such but its looking more promising everyday !! yay!! ^-^ *excitedness*
WOW SHU! :blink:

I'm glad that you didn't get hurt! Poor car! I know I'd be pissed if my Yusuke got seriously hurt, especially since he's the first new car I bought, and I have one more payment before he's MINE! :mwahaha:

Tell us all about the cons when you come back! Kuma and I are missing con-love as we speak! *twitches*

Hope your baby gets fixed all nice and shiny! :)

And Sakano has a HUGE car! >_<;

Ryuichi

*~*~*SUPER-GENIUS VOCALIST SAKUMA RYUICHI!!*~*~*

Saki Ukai
Forum Lord
Saki Ukai
Forum Lord

Sep 19 2008, 03:28 AM #15

Here's what bugged me the most about yesterday.

MY REALLY GOOD FRIEND WAS IN A CAR ACCIDENT. SHE COULD HAVE DIED.

AND NOBODY TOLD ME.

And then one of the girls was trying to give ME a lecture about not being a good friend because I didn't have her house number, BECAUSE MY FRIEND SAID I WOULDN'T NEED IT, and because I didn't visit her, SINCE I HAD NO MONEY FOR GAS AND HAD TO BUY COLLEGE THINGS and couldn't go ANYWHERE unless SOMEONE ELSE got me, and because I argued with her over texts instead of being a "good friend" and calling her AFTER I GOT THE HOUSE NUMBER.

And she was like "if my best friends were in a car accident, I would know and wouldn't be waiting for someone to tell me." And I'm here thinking "EVERYONE has to wait for someone to tell them, unless you're OUTSIDE WATCHING THE ACCIDENT or INSIDE THE ACCIDENT YOURSELF. And SHE didn't get a call, SHE was told in person by my friend's girlfriend.

What frustrated me so much was that EVERYONE was just coming up with stuff, and then on top of it, this chick was pretty much saying I didn't deserve to be mad and I should just "get over" the fact that none of my friends had a right of mind to TELL me via text since they couldn't TELL ME IN PERSON.

And she's like "we hardly ever text, when's the last time we texted?" I texted her on Monday, THE DAY SHE WAS TOLD. So she can't say I was the one when SHE was the one who DIDN'T RESPOND TO A TEXT.

And then SHE thinks she has the right to tell ME I'm being a "bad friend" when she's so OBVIOUSLY showed me how AMAZING of a friend SHE IS?

Hah.

I'm not HER friend anymore, and boy am I glad.

Oh, yeah, my friend's doing better. She got out of the hospital on Tuesday, went back Wednesday night and went back home Wednesday night-er, so now she's at home. She'll be out of school for around a month, and broke a leg, chipped a hip, and did something to her pelvis, but she's doin' okay. She's in good spirits, and I'm so proud of her. (XD Surely, the fact that she's going to cosplay Shuichi has noooothing to do with her happy spirits...)