JAPAN

Tatsuha Uesugi
Forum God

Feb 21 2006, 02:55 AM #1

Hey.

I came across these three short BBC documentaries about topics in Japan that hit close to home for this forum. The three below are: Sex in Japan, Music in Japan and Shopping in Japan.

Each one is about 14 minutes long and shows a lot of good insight into the lives and psyches of the Japanese culture. I test downloaded each and virus scanned them before putting them up and they came out fine. Scan again before you play them. They downloaded fine, even though Yousendit has been acting wonky lately. Oh and be aware that each of them have a few slight audio glitches.

Sex in Japan

WARNING WARNING--DANGER, DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!

The BBC lets it all hang out...all of it! This one has nudity--full frontal for women and a blink and you miss it man. If this bothers you don't download it. Just ask someone to describe it to you in scrutinzing detail. This short documentary explores mostly the masculine world of sexuality in Japan, including fetishes, thought processes and how attitudes toward sex in Japan differ from the West. Unfortunately it does not include alternate sexualities or women's points of view. Also, sadly, no host/hostess clubs are viewed.

Topics include:
'
Bondage in Japan--they make it an artform!

Compensation Dating--Teens and young women in Japan selling dates and themselves in order to supplement their income and their designer shopping habits

Love vs. Sex--Why Japanese men don't seem to think one goes with the other

Love Hotels--you know you want to go to one!

The Schoolgirl--Every man's and some women's wet dream

Download it here--139 MB MPG file:
http://beta.yousendit.com/transfer.php? ... 3DD475C620

Music in Japan

This is something that hits very close to home. It's all about the emerging and exploding music industry in Japan. There's no nudity in this one but there are Nazi uniforms worn by fans--I dunno either!

Topics include:

East vs. West: How same music genres differ on the opposite halves of the earth.

Emerging genres: Hip Hop, Rap and Metal make inroads into Japan.

Foreign Bands: How Blur, Queen and other bands view cracking the biggest music market outside of America and why it's important to do it there first.

Japanese Bands Going Global: A look at different bands and artists from different genres and their quest to go beyond Japan.

Boy Bands: No country is safe! Although, the ones in Japan are decidedly pretty...

Download it here 142 MB MPG file:
http://s46.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1CL0 ... 324ILQ1IN5

And finally--Shopping in Japan

This documentary explores the shopping habits of the Japanese and how keeping up with the Joneses is a way of life for them. Meet a real live Japanese Otaku with a serious gadget habit and a dating sim fetish. Take a look at the reasoning behind the shopping habits of Japanese women and check out some of the outfits and uniforms shop girls wear. This is relevant to us because it not only gives insight into teen culture, you get to see Shibuya and Akihabara up close and personal. No real nudity (a couple pics of animated naked girls), and one very real slobbering Otaku.

Topics include:

Geek Chic--The obssesive habits of a Japanese Otaku who just can't get enough of those gadgets and magical girls in short skirts.

Parasite Chicks--Ladies who live at home as long as they can for the sole purpose of being able to save money to feed their shopping habits.

Shibuya 109--Shibuya 106 makes an appearance in one of the Gravi episodes...I forget which. See what the real thing looks like.

Customer Service--I don't know about anywhere else, but here in the States, good customer service has gone the way of the dinosaur...a brontosaurus who was really pissed off when he went! Customer service is an artform in Japan and maybe just a little bit scary...

Download it here 132 MB MPG file :
http://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3OFJ ... 3S6P3OSZGB

Happy viewing!
"

"Have you ever danced with the Devil by the pale moonlight?"

Mr. K
Forum God
Mr. K
Forum God

Feb 22 2006, 07:40 PM #2

Well I watched all three, and WOW. I love documentaries. So much stuff going on in Japan XD! The music one was cool! What I love most from the info I gathered on that, was the fact that there are so many genre's in one place! I love all kinds of music, so Japan is cool for having a very colourful arrangement. Even tho North America is colourful with genre's J-rock/pop/punk etc is better :P

The shopping! Holy mother of Yuki LOL...you're right they have made it into an art form XD Shopping is nothing like that here in Canada at least. Just one big block of a building, that you enter like with the rest of the herd and visit different outlets. Nontheless it fun tho :P Shop till you drop as they say. I'd spend all my yen in Tokyo to lol! *chants* I wanna be a charisma girl *snorts* I wanna visit Akihabara! Video game central baby!

The Sex! Holy smackers. You know they mentioned that a lot of people don't realize that Japan has a very wild sex life. I never actually thought that before. See, because in my mind it is a rule of thumb that the more quiet someone/country is the wilder they are XD And it always proves to be true ^^ But I never realized that the apt's and houses were so small etc. Damn I wonder if it was really possible for K to buy Hiro a house with a backyard afterall XD! Esspecially no nookie out in the yard then :P But Love Hotels, hell why not. And I never knew Japan was the originator of Bondage. w00t! Hang em high! LOL

j-chan
Forum Ruler
j-chan
Forum Ruler

Feb 22 2006, 08:50 PM #3

gah!! I have the song they played when they were showing Shibuya 109! I just can't remember what the heck its called x.x

OHOH! And that guy! The one that directos movies/stars in them? TOTALLY recognized him! He plays in Battle Royal!

"Youth does not mean inexpirience, rather clearer ideas on matters the elder cannot grasp."

keriko
Forum Ruler
keriko
Forum Ruler

Feb 23 2006, 08:31 PM #4

Oh those videos are soo cool! The one about music made think about Utada Hikaru. Apparently a few years back Utada Hikaru did release an album in the states and it was an abismal flop. I asked a person in the know what the problem was, they gave her crappy r&b sounding sounds, alienating an fans she may have already had in the states and certainly not getting new ones.

Exhibit A:
"Easy Breezy"
That's right kids she's says "Japanesey." WTF?!
Easy Breezy Vid

I love Utada and always will but ... not in this video or for this song.

j-chan
Forum Ruler
j-chan
Forum Ruler

Feb 23 2006, 09:26 PM #5

That video made me bring up this question *again* in my life:

Why do people who are in bathing suits/pools/oceans always try to run for cover when it rains? I mean, they're already wet so why is rain a problem?

Other than that, I didn't know she was in the U.S. o-o

"Youth does not mean inexpirience, rather clearer ideas on matters the elder cannot grasp."

keriko
Forum Ruler
keriko
Forum Ruler

Feb 23 2006, 09:48 PM #6

Yea her album was called Exodus I believe. She's still releasing albums in good ol' Nippon (or Nihon however you like to say it) but I'm not sure if she'll release another english album. *sniffle* I'm sure her popularity will raise when KH2 comes out as she's singing the opening song again.

Tatsuha Uesugi
Forum God

Jul 16 2006, 05:07 AM #7

I came across this site that some of you may have already seen. For those who haven't and if you're like me, you like pictures of everyday life in Japan. People, places, buildings, cosplay, etc. The site is http://www.japanwindow.com/index.php and each picture is very well done and has a caption beneath it telling where it was taken and what it is by transplanted L.A. resident Andy Gray who now lives in Japan.

I haven't gone through them all as there are several galleries, but what I have seen is well worth a few minutes of your time to see how life is for the non Gackt citizen on the street.

Tats

http://www.japanwindow.com/index.php
"

Mr. K
Forum God
Mr. K
Forum God

Jul 16 2006, 10:53 PM #8

I looked at this guys photos. They are lovely! I mean he captures so much with simple photo's. This is like a wonderful tour thank you for posting this Tats!! :D

Tatsuha Uesugi
Forum God

Oct 17 2006, 02:38 PM #9

Hey all. I just came across this site which is pretty cool. Don't know if any of you know about it yet, but it has Japanese lessons that can be podcast (I think) as well as listened to with your regular player and it has videos, movie reviews and cool commercials and videos culled from Youtube that all have to do with Japan and the culture.

http://japancast.net

On the very first page are two hysterical videos one featuring a Japanese Ronald McDonald who don't take no shit from convenience store clerks and a hysterical video featuring Gackt making fun of himself that's just beyond comprehension! It's very cute--check out Nurse Gackt!

Anyhoo, thought I'd pass this along.

If anyone is interested, I also uploaded one of the documentaries I have from the BBC on Japan to megauploads. It's 15 minutes long and deals with shopping trends in Japan. Very informative and well done.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HJYKPMOU

If you have trouble downloading it let me know. I HATE megaupload's confusing page layout but it's the only one I know of that will let me upload that much.

Big Daddy.
"

Zellas
Forum God
Zellas
Forum God

Oct 17 2006, 02:59 PM #10

Thanks for sharing Tats ^_^ If you guys like things like this then look out for Japanorama. It's a program hosted by Jonathon Ross on BBC 3 and it's great! my favourite episodes are the Kawaii and Otaku episodes.

Tatsuha Uesugi
Forum God

Oct 17 2006, 04:36 PM #11

Funny you should mention Japanorama. I am downloading Otaku at this very minute! I have the torrents for the others though I think they're a little dodgy. I downloaded the mkv of Otaku on Sunday and it plays great but doesn't have any sound, so I found the avi of it and am now in the process. I'm looking forward to seeing it. Incidentally I also found the torrent for Season 2 ep 1 Kakkoii if you're interested.
"

keriko
Forum Ruler
keriko
Forum Ruler

Oct 17 2006, 08:47 PM #12

yes! tats you've come through again with the awesome vids to cater to my japanophile self.
*intense huggles* You sure know how to make a pet feel loved. B)

Do you or Sakano *wink* have the links to the japanorama things? I'd hate to have to trade sexual favors but i'm not above it. :whip:

Zellas
Forum God
Zellas
Forum God

Oct 17 2006, 09:30 PM #13

Thanks Tats but i'm watching the repeates of Season 2 on BBC3...it's on really late and i'm normally still up. It's really interesting. I watched one the other night of Jonathon Ross running around Japan wearing leather and PVC with Hard Gay. It was so hillarious!

Keriko baby, I know there is a torrent for season one on Tokyo Toshokan but it's really crappy quality. I'll try and find a better version for you.

*kisses*

*~edit~*

Japanorama Season 1 torrent

Mr. K
Forum God
Mr. K
Forum God

Oct 18 2006, 12:59 AM #14

Ohh this site is great! I watched a bunch of the clips there and the commercials. XD That Ronald cracked me up! LOL he's mint how hilarious. The bank commercial :P Very entertaining place, I still have lots to look at. Thanks hun for this!

*downloads that BBC thing* those are also very informative! I love these things thanks again :spin:

And Sakano thanks too I got that torrent saved :hug:

Shuichi Shindou
Forum Ruler

Nov 2 2006, 08:05 AM #15

=O!! whoa that site is awesome! luckily i can read hiragana and katakana.. even though I don't always understand... oh that little ladybug baby in the halloween pic is darling. hehe thanks tatsu-kun!! :lol:

-shu-chan :cute: