Food!

Mr. K
Forum God
Mr. K
Forum God

Feb 17 2007, 01:34 AM #1

I dunno if any of you care, but I wrote up a recipe for Tats and thought maybe someone here might want to try it as well lol I REALLY love to share recipes, so from time to time I may post some up here for you ^^ Besides it's good practice to write recipes...helps me utilize my work plan skills ^^ So I'll use this thread to share stuff with you!

The recipe sounded trying and scary so I did it in a recipe format. It really is not that hard ^^ I hope you all give it a try...it's yummy!

Roasted Red Pepper Sauce

This can be used on pasta, like linguine or fettuccine…any pasta really! ^^ You will need a blender for this recipe.

Ingredients

1 red pepper quartered and deseeded
4 large cloves of garlic
3 large pieces of Sun dried Tomatoes
¼ cup of chicken or vegetable stock (try the canned stuff it’s easier :P)
Half an onion diced
2 tsp of dried basil, double the amount if you use fresh
1 tsp of dried oregano, double the amount if you use fresh
1-2 tbsp of Balsamic vinegar (2 tablespoons means it will be more sweet)
1 tbsp of olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

*NOTE – Place the sun dried tomatoes in half a cup of water for an hour before making this sauce. Reserve the water for later use.

Directions

1. Preheat your oven and set it on broil. 450 F

2. Slice your red pepper into four parts, take out seeds. Lightly oil a baking sheet or a pie tin, place the red peppers skin-side up under the broiler. Let them turn black, the skin is literally charred. Take out and place into a paper lunch bag or a Ziploc bag. Let them cool and sweat.

3. Turn oven down to 350 F. Put the garlic in the oven and roast them. Takes aprox. 5-10 mins (keep watch they burn quickly!)

4. Dice your onion and put into blender. Add the sun dried tomatoes, basil, oregano, balsamic vinegar and olive oil to the blender. Blend using the puree setting.

5. Check garlic and remove when done put into blender. Peel the skin off red peppers when cool enough and add to blender. Note – the mixture should be thick as toothpaste.

6. Now add the wet ingredients, add the stock and add some of the sun dried tomato water—add a little at a time and blend to be sure not to make the sauce to thin.

7. When it is well blended pour it into a sauce pan and season with salt and pepper. Low temp to keep warm until you have your pasta ready.

8. Toss to coat pasta and voila.

SERVES 2

TIPS!

- If you have a gas stove you can roast the red pepper directly on the flame. Using the green stem to move it around, blacken all sides of the pepper and place in paper bag to cool and peel.
- Use Vegetable stock if you wish to keep this recipe Vegetarian ^^

Shuichi Shindou
Forum Ruler

Feb 17 2007, 04:29 AM #2

;-; you said you would help Shu out with teh cooking too!... i asked-ed

but YAY! i'm happy for these! I really really.. REAAALLY need cooking tips! like you don't even know o.o! so thanks K!! :D

-Shu-chan :cute:

Mr. K
Forum God
Mr. K
Forum God

Feb 17 2007, 05:22 AM #3

OH yes Shu-chan hun! If you want I can help ^^ I will try :P YAY I'm glad you like the idea of recipes.. but I fear if I start with tips about cooking I will never stop XD! I really could go on and on about this stuff!

Heck if you got a question ever...ask me I'd love to try and solve it ^____^ I mean anything. Like "Why did my broccoli lose it's colour?" XD ok *ish being dragged away but the gag authorities* lol And if you got any questions about a recipe...ask aways!

:hockeysmile:

Raoul
Advanced Member
Raoul
Advanced Member

Feb 17 2007, 02:13 PM #4

Ok, now I'm hooked. Why DOES my broccoli lose its color? Whenever it's steamed it's a nice vibrant green but if you boil it, which I also like, it turns all dull. Is there a way to boil it and keep the bright green color? I tend to boil for awhile cuz when I like it like that, I like it soft.

What can I say, I like old people food, including applesauce and cream of rice.. >.>
Noblesse Oblige...

Mimea
Advanced Member
Mimea
Advanced Member

Feb 17 2007, 09:58 PM #5

HEY there is NOTHING wrong apple sauce OR cream of rice! Once you start flirting with prune juice for its regularity abilities then we may have to have a talk.

*thinks of all the fun one could have with apple sauce* Hmm next trip to the store will include some apple sauce. ^o^

Mr. K
Forum God
Mr. K
Forum God

Feb 17 2007, 11:39 PM #6

Raoul @ Feb 17 2007, 09:13 AM wrote: Ok, now I'm hooked. Why DOES my broccoli lose its color? Whenever it's steamed it's a nice vibrant green but if you boil it, which I also like, it turns all dull. Is there a way to boil it and keep the bright green color? I tend to boil for awhile cuz when I like it like that, I like it soft.

What can I say, I like old people food, including applesauce and cream of rice.. >.>
Well since you wanted to know I'll tell ya ^^

Broccoli and as with any vegetable that you boil or steam should never come in contact with acids while cooking, like water where tomatoes boiled in or anything. So only salted fresh water for boiling and or steaming broccoli ^^ Now if you want to boil the broccoli submerged in water, make sure the water is gently salted and brought to a simmering boil... not a bubbling boil. Place you pieces of broccoli in STEM first so the heads or trees part floats on top of the water(that part cooks the fastest). Like a survivor with a life jacket ^^;;

Actually I never knew that broccoli could stand up like that in water till school XD So, let it cook for a few minutes(WITHOUT A LID! Very important ! Because it will make the little bit of acid that comes out of broccoli to come back down and turn the broccoli that nasty olive colour :P)...check with a fork for tenderness. If the fork goes thru the stem easily and without force the broccoli is done.

If you steam the cooking time is reduced by half! If you made it to far ahead of the rest of the meal and can't use it right away. Gently run some cold water over the done broccoli to stop the cooking process and re-heat by submerging it again in hot water for 30 secs to a minute.

Serve it immediately!

>.> I hope that answered the question. And I hope it worked for you ^^ Let me know eh?

Ohhh! Apple sauce is Yummy! Its compliment with pork too ^^ You know why that started btw. Fruit aids digestion after eating heavy things like meat. Hence why in the old times apples and or apple sauce was common with pork XD

*ish shot*

LOL Raoul and prune juice! *howls*

Nakano Yuuji
Nakano Yuuji

Feb 18 2007, 02:14 AM #7

hmm. here's a dish that me and my mum made up :3 and it's totally GI. and totally super-duper tasty. and I'm sorry if my terminology sucks.

zucchini with minced meat and cheeeeeeese. (it's optional to use that many es >.>) serves four. 30 minutes preparation (if you don't know your way around a kitchen, like me)

1 zucchini
700-800 grams of minced meat (just... think four hamburgers)
cheeeeeeese to your taste
about a cup of squashed tomatoes (ha! no idea what this is called! but, no seeds, no skins, more like thick tomato juice)
vegetable e-z spice (you can take any kind, really, it's just that we always have the vegetable one at home) vegeta?

*slice and dice the zucchini (cut it in half first before you cut along the length. saves a lot of trouble), and fry it in a bit of olive oil at medium temperature until the colour becomes a wee bit darker, and it becomes al dente. (chewy)

*fry the minced meat in olive oil and spice it with salt and pepper and paprika powder (no, I'm not sure of what it's called in English, but I have discussed it with darling K at length, and this was the best we could come up with :P)

*spread the zucchini out in a low wide oven pan (7x11 inches, something like that?), and spread half of the meat on top.

*make meatsauce out of the rest of the meat(here's where the tomatoes and veggie spice fit in. half a cup of water is nice too. I like rosemary in meat sauce, but nobody else does) and spread it on top, making sure it covers all the zucchini and meat.

*cover with cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese! I like Jarlsberg. shove it in the oven on 180-200 degrees Celcius >.> (depending on your oven) until the cheese has melted.

serve with lots of salad.

...I hope that was somewhat coherent.

Mr. K
Forum God
Mr. K
Forum God

Feb 27 2007, 02:57 AM #8

I keep editing the title of this topic because I realized this can be a thread all about food! Not just recipes. But sharing things about Food and recipes etc ^^ As usual I'm all excited about food XD

But I recalled that Tats and I had an interesting discussion about weird foods...on top of aimless minutes we talk about food XD But this shit is pure insane! Here are two links to the strangest food I have ever heard of to date so far...

Please feel free to post your weird facts OR good facts too! ^^

Casu Marzu (a cheese loaded with maggots)

Kopi Luwak (weasel shit coffee beans)

Double ACK!

I ask you $600 for a pound of this coffee?!

Yuki-addicted_Angel

Mar 1 2007, 07:46 PM #9

Here is this recipe Suguru and I made today :party:
And hey, we're still alive... :bow:

Here it is:

Needed:
1 piece of chicken fillet (damn the translator if it is wrong)
2 little (really little) cans of mashed tomatoes
Ketjap (just a little, again)
1 little can of pineapple pieces
1 little can of peach pieces
Sambal (We forgot it, don't do that yourself)
Salt
Pepper
Rice

Here we go:
1. Cut the chicken (whahahahaha, sounds too wrong) in little pieces, just like the pineapple and peach pieces.
2. Put a frying-pan on the fire, put some olive-oil in it (Bertolli) and throw the chicken in it as well.
3. Make sure the chicken is white-baked before you continue, this in case of bacteria.
4. Open the cans (all of them).
5. Flavour the chicken pieces with pepper and salt (you'll have to do this by yourself, there my mother says you need 'a certain feeling')
6. Put the little bit of ketjap by the chicken and stir until the chicken starts to colour brown.
7. Put the mashed tomatoes in it.
8. Stir again.
9. Put the pineapple with juice in the pan.
10. Put the peach without the juice in the pan, save the juice, you might need it.
11. Stir again.
12. To flavour it, put some sambal in it (if you don't have sambal use a lot of pepper, it isn't as good, but else its too tasteless)
13. Keep stirring the sauce now and then while cooking the rice.
14. If the sauce is too thick, you can use a little peach-juice.

15. Bon appetit :thankyouthankyou: :lol:
(\ /)
( . .)
c(“)(“)

So what if you can see, the darkest side of me?
No one will ever change the satan that I have become...
Hell, we believe, it's not the real me!
Somebody help me tame the satan-me...
The satan that I have become...

Suguru Fujisaki
Suguru Fujisaki

Mar 1 2007, 07:49 PM #10

:hug: yay, still living...
and to make an even greater impact...
it was eatable ^^ and that says something, for me at least :P

Tatsuha Uesugi
Forum God

Mar 3 2007, 12:56 PM #11

I think the way you guys spell ketchup is cute! What's sambal?
"

"Have you ever danced with the Devil by the pale moonlight?"

Mr. K
Forum God
Mr. K
Forum God

Mar 3 2007, 09:48 PM #12

Tatsuha Uesugi @ Mar 3 2007, 07:56 AM wrote: I think the way you guys spell ketchup is cute! What's sambal?
I hope Suguru or AddictedYuki don't mind if I answered this. Btw your recipe here sounds VERY interesting. Chicken with all this fruit with sambal sounds divine o-o I must try this out!

For Tats: Actually Ketjap is not Ketchup. It's exactly that Ketjap. It's like a soy sauce that is sweeter than normal soy sauce. It comes in a bottle like you'd see Oyster sauce or Fish sauce or Hoisen sauce etc ^^ I actually have to use this stuff on Monday XD! But you could substitute soy sauce for Ketjap ^^ This stuff

Well, Sambal is as I've seen it, a paste made with chilies that comes in a very small jar like when you buy capers, or minced garlic in oil. Tiny like a tin of tomato paste. And you would only use a tiny amount of the stuff because it's hot! Thai dishes that I've read often ask for Sambal. Although there are different kinds, I imagine they vary in heat.

I'm wondering if the
aren't what we call Tomato paste? Are these cans of Tomato's really thick and pasty? I'm gonna guess this is what you meant, because I never seen crushed tomatoes in tiny cans ^^

Thanks for the recipe!

Tatsuha Uesugi
Forum God

Mar 4 2007, 05:13 AM #13

Whoa! Hey thanks for the heads up. I was wondering how ketchup was going to fit into this recipe! Good to know. I'll have to look for both it and sambal in the store. I think I'd have a better chance finding both at a local Asian grocer than the regular store. Cool...it'll give me an excuse to go there and stock up on Pocky and Ramune!
"

"Have you ever danced with the Devil by the pale moonlight?"

Yuki-addicted_Angel

Mar 5 2007, 12:33 PM #14

Mr. K @ Mar 3 2007, 04:48 PM wrote: I'm wondering if the
aren't what we call Tomato paste? Are these cans of Tomato's really thick and pasty? I'm gonna guess this is what you meant, because I never seen crushed tomatoes in tiny cans ^^
-_- Mashed Tomatoes, Tomato paste, it looks like the same if you get them next to each other. And mashing tomatoes can be quite funny ^_^
But hey, I used a dictonary for that one :lol:
(\ /)
( . .)
c(“)(“)

So what if you can see, the darkest side of me?
No one will ever change the satan that I have become...
Hell, we believe, it's not the real me!
Somebody help me tame the satan-me...
The satan that I have become...

Mr. K
Forum God
Mr. K
Forum God

Mar 11 2007, 06:24 AM #15

Yuki-addicted_Angel @ Mar 5 2007, 07:33 AM wrote: -_- Mashed Tomatoes, Tomato paste, it looks like the same if you get them next to each other. And mashing tomatoes can be quite funny ^_^
But hey, I used a dictonary for that one :lol:
I tried your recipe! It wasn't bad ^^ Really fruity and a touch sweet, I can see it being really awesome with BBQ chicken or something. I didn't have Sambal so I used Jamaican hot sauce :P It was nice! But i think I'm going to try again with sambal. I think I might keep out the pineapple juice from the can and just add the fruit only.

THANKS for sharing, it was fun to try!

Suguru I have that cheese soup recipe too. I"ll post that up as soon as I write up the directions. The soup was the bomb! I think your mom will love it!

Peace out.