Wanted: A Heart Bran Muffin Recipe

Roseheart
Hallelujah Member
Hallelujah Member
Roseheart
Hallelujah Member
Hallelujah Member

March 19th, 2007, 8:03 pm #1

Does anyone have a good wholesome, hearty grainy Bran Muffin Mix. One that you might add wheat germ, flaxmeal, molasses, etc. too? I can't seem to get my hands on one and the ones I do have are laden with sugar and oil. I may have to improvise but if someone has a good recipe already I would appreciate it. It would prevent unnecessary waste on any flops I might attempt. Thanks!

Ariella
Heaven Bound
Heaven Bound
Ariella
Heaven Bound
Heaven Bound

March 20th, 2007, 2:22 am #2

i don't - but it sounds interesting for if you do find a recipe! :)

J.I.L.
Hallelujah Member
Hallelujah Member
J.I.L.
Hallelujah Member
Hallelujah Member

March 20th, 2007, 7:39 pm #3

Denise,
I dont know if this will help you but I found it in one of my cookbooks today. I also have a fat free baking cookbook( friend is borrowing right now) it recommends using apple sauce or sometimes even fat free yogurt instead of oils or even heavy creams, I have done this before and was quite happy with the results suprisingly. If you add your flaxmeal and wheatgerm like you said that would be one hearty muffin, let us know how it turns out for healthy eating I'm all for a hearty bran muffin. Not to mention we wont only be REGULARS here at Grace, ya know what I'm saying :gig:

Hearty Bran Muffins
"All-purpose and whole wheat flours combine with wheat bran for a nourishing muffin that 's sweetened with molasses."
INGREDIENTS:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups wheat bran
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda 6 tablespoons molasses
2 cups buttermilk
1 egg, beaten
3 tablespoons butter, melted

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease muffin pans or line with paper cups.
2. In a large bowl, combine all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, wheat bran, salt and baking soda. Add molasses, buttermilk, egg and butter; stir just to moisten. Scoop batter into prepared muffin pans. Cups should be 2/3 to 3/4 full.
3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.

Roseheart
Hallelujah Member
Hallelujah Member
Roseheart
Hallelujah Member
Hallelujah Member

March 21st, 2007, 8:04 am #4

Thanks JIL! I will give that a go, perhaps add a few extras and let you know how it turns out. I really appreciate it and thank you also for the suggestions of applesauce and yogurt. I'd hurt about applesauce before but not yogurt. Looking forward to trying it with the yogurt (fat-free, plain).

J.I.L.
Hallelujah Member
Hallelujah Member
J.I.L.
Hallelujah Member
Hallelujah Member

March 21st, 2007, 3:45 pm #5

very welcome sis :)

Deleted User
Deleted User

June 20th, 2008, 12:35 pm #6

Jane Brody's
Best of Bran Muffins :yum:
3 Cups All Bran Cereal
1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
1 Cup Raisins
1 Cup Boiling Water
2 Eggs, lightly beaten
2 Cups Buttermilk
1/4 Cup Molasses ( I use Blackstrap Molasses)
2 1/4 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
4 teaspoons Sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon Salt, if desired
1. In a large bowl, combine cereal, oil and raisins, and pour the boiling water over them. Set aside to cool slightly.
2. In a small bowl, combine the eggs, buttermilk, and molasses. Add this to partly cooled cereal mixture.
3. In another small bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Add the flour mixture to the cereal mixture, stirring just enough to moisten the dry ingredients. Cover the batter with a damp towel and let stand for at least 15 minutes, preferably for 1 hour.
4. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 24 muffin cups and divide the batter among them, filling each cup about three-fourths full. Bake the muffins for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove the muffins from oven, and, when they are slightly cooled, take them out of the tin and place on a rack to cool completely.

These muffins are not sweet.
I add Stevia to satisfy my taste buds, often omitting the sugar.
I have used Apple Juice instead of the boiling water.
These are my all time best bran muffins. I have been making them for years.
You can put any kind of nuts or dried fruit you like into them.
I once put cherries in them at Christmas.

Confirmation of reply: