Stromboli

editor
God's Grace Special Angel
editor
God's Grace Special Angel

November 3rd, 2014, 5:02 pm #1

Posted by:

nevans52
This has always been a huge favorite at my house, and I bet your family will like it too.

editor didn't try it because to is too complicated but I love Stromboli.

STROMBOLI

Dough: 1 loaf frozen white dough, thawed - or use my pizza dough recipe [2 cups bread flour, 2 tsp yeast, 3/4 cup warm water, 1 Tbsp sugar, 1 Tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp salt mix and let run on "dough" setting on bread machine until after first rise.

Now that you have dough [whichever way you choose]:

Roll dough into 10 X 15" rectangle on a well-floured surface.

Beat together well:
1 egg
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp italian seasoning blend
1/2 tsp garlic powder or garlic salt
sprinkle of onion powder

Spread this over the dough, to within 1/2" of the sides and ends' reserving about 1 Tbsp mixture for the glaze.

Start layering cheese and meats:

light layer of shredded mozzarella
layer of thin-sliced deli ham or turkey [packaged works fine - I often use Carl Budig]
sprinkle of parmesan cheese
layer of pepperoni slices
light layer of shredded mozzarella

Starting on a long side of the dough, roll up jelly-roll style, as if making cinnamon rolls. Seal the seam and seal the ends by pinching the dough together.

Lay the roll seam side down on a cookie sheet that has been greased and sprinkled with cornmeal.
Let rise until almost double. Mix 1 Tblsp water with the reserved egg mixture and brush over the dough. If desired, you can sprinkle with garlic salt [Trader Joes garlic salt in a grinder is great for this].

Bake at 375F for 35-40 minutes, or until sounds hollow when thumped [start checking after 30 min].
Remove from oven and let rest a few minutes before slicing in 2" portions. To serve, heat spaghetti or marinara sauce for dipping or spooning over the stromboli.

Confirmation of reply: