Snapdragon Flowers

Delete
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Delete
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

May 5th, 2011, 6:46 pm #1

How do you transplant Snapdragon flowers? This is the second year since I planted them, and they have been blooming every since! Many books state that they are annuals. Thank you.

Deleted User
Deleted User

May 5th, 2011, 10:53 pm #2

Hi, Ironia.

Snapdragons are technically an annual, but I've had them come back even up here in WNY.

If you can leave them where they are and they are OK, then that would be the best thing to do. If you need to transplant them, then make sure to water them well before and after moving them and getting all of the roots - dig deep. Keep them well watered for about a week or more after the transplant.

Delete
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Delete
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

May 6th, 2011, 11:07 am #3

Thank you Dave! I'm trying to save money by spreading them in my yard without buying new plants! These flowers are becoming my favorite in the yard for they come back year after year!

May 6th, 2011, 4:14 pm #4

In the city I had snapdragons that came back each year without doing anything special, but I never tried to propagate them.

Cindy marie
Heaven Bound
Heaven Bound
Cindy marie
Heaven Bound
Heaven Bound

May 6th, 2011, 5:17 pm #5

I have never known them to come back. I wonder if they are self seeding. Some annuals act like perennials by self seeding.

Delete
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Delete
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

May 12th, 2011, 10:49 am #6

Thank for your answers. My snapdragons are blooming now. I will not disturb them. Cindy marie, I have noticed that they seem to be spreading, so I will not touch them or use money I really do not have to purchase more.

Delete
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Delete
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

July 6th, 2011, 2:38 pm #7

The snapdragon flowers in my flower beds are so beautiful! I don't have a lot, just enough to see the many colors they come in, i.e. purple, red, yellow, white, pink. I hope to add more next year.

July 6th, 2011, 3:10 pm #8

I hope you can add to this collection Ironia. They remind me of the wonderful time I had in my old neighborhood. Maybe I need to buy a pot or seeds of them next year?

Delete
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Delete
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

July 6th, 2011, 7:40 pm #9

I think it would be worth it! Have you ever grown flowers from seeds? I tried but did not succeed.

July 7th, 2011, 11:53 am #10

Oh yes, I used to grow flowers from seeds. Marigolds works well. Now this is mid summer so I don't know that anything works well, but marigolds are an annual which will spread and come back just like snapdragons.