Owning A Pet

July 5th, 2013, 2:39 pm #1

July 5, 2013
Looking to get heart-healthy? You may want to visit your local animal shelter. Being a pet owner can reduce your risk of heart disease.

Daily Dose

Purchasing a pet may be an investment in your family — and your health. According to the American Heart Association, a four-legged friend — especially a dog — may offer heart-health benefits. Evidence suggests that pet owners weigh less and have lower blood pressure, better cholesterol values, and a better stress response. All these add up to a younger heart. Why? For starters dog owners are more active and more likely to get the recommended amount of exercise (150 minutes) each week. Furry companions also help you manage inevitable stresses better. Of course, getting a pet doesn’t give you license to curl up on the couch with Fido and a bag of chips. Pet ownership is simply one more way to keep your heart and its arteries younger; being active, managing stress, avoiding all forms of tobacco, controlling your weight and eating a heart-healthful GO! diet are keys to living healthy.

gracie
Heaven Bound
Heaven Bound
gracie
Heaven Bound
Heaven Bound

July 14th, 2013, 3:51 am #2

I had to give up my pets when I lost my home and moved into this apartment. However, I have Patiocat... so named because he has taken up residence on my patio. I've long since given up trying to get rid of him. He lays at my back door like a dog, and often sits on my lap when I'm out there reading.

July 14th, 2013, 4:01 am #3

What a blessing to have the cat adopt you, Grace! :gar2: :gar1: :cat: