My Dog Day Journal

1:44 PM - Mar 08, 2008 #1

Because I have 3 dogs left in my household who are all aging, I believe it is therapeutic for me to write about their remaining days.

Today, Moses, who has cancer showed a positive reaction to his second added pain pill. I saw him place his paw to the ground. Praise God because this is the affect the Vet said I would see by adding an opiate to his regime.

Today, Lucky's right face is swollen and sticking out quite noticeably. He must have a tooth infected for the gum is more than triple the size. DH would not let me call the Vet so I gave Lucky an antibiotic for infection and an aspirin for pain. I will call the Vet Monday when DH is gone and will try to schedule a Tuesday appointment when he is gone. Problem, Lucky needs to be muzzled when he goes to the Vet so I am not sure what arrangements the Vet will make for the examination.

If you have pet concerns, write away here with me.

Delete
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Delete
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

6:11 PM - Mar 08, 2008 #2

Dear Editor:

:bless: to you on this journey! In my life, I have had four dogs and one rabbit.

I cannot imagine what you are going through with three dogs at one time. My words are so feeble, but just want you to know the compassion I feel. We know that God IS and will provide.

:hug:

Deleted User
Deleted User

7:48 PM - Mar 08, 2008 #3

Candy, I know what you are going through and am praying for you. We had a similar situation with Maxx. Now our problem is that Daisy just refuses to be housebroken at 7 months. Trying to get her trained to use the litter pan, she does only about 1/2 the time. Rosebud seemed so easy. We were thinking we may have to train them both to go outside. We'll see how that goes.

I know you are doing all you can for your Boys and they appreciate your good care.

Banned account
Hallelujah Member
Hallelujah Member
Banned account
Hallelujah Member
Hallelujah Member

4:23 AM - Mar 09, 2008 #4

Candy, I am glad to hear something positive concerning Moses. :hug: Oh, your poor Lucky. I am so sorry. I am miffed at your dh not letting you call the vet. :bam: I am glad you had something to give him. :hug: Praying for your fur babies and your situation at home. Let us know how vet visit goes. :bless:

10:14 AM - Mar 09, 2008 #5

Ironia, Dave and Barbara---what a lovely surprise to see your support. We pet lovers must stand together. Dave, my DD's youngest pet had the same problem. After a test for cause it was determined she was not an obstinate learner but a dog that had some type of crystals (not quite stones forming) and a pill of some sort and cranberry extract relieved her of this disorder which had originally been thought of a behavioral problem. If you want more details I will have Michele email you. In fact, just yesterday, she asked how you were. Lucky's swelling is already reduced today. I know there is a problem, but it was a blessing to behold.

At Dawn's Early Light. Seems I only think well in the early AM hours of the day.

So that you may become familiar with me and my great heart for animals, as I desire to know you better, I will use this time to tell you about what runs through my head.

God has a sense of humor and you better believe it. I was distraught yesterday, My youngest dog has bone cancer. I said when I had to add the recommended opiates to his daily routine I would put him down. He has so much life left in him, that I humbly eat those words. Yesterday he began supplementing his pain killer with a narcotic. In just two dosages I see the relief it gave him (Moses) and he now is able to place his paw on the floor. I now understand that an opiate does not rob one of quality of life as I thought, but just lends aid in "eating the pain away."

Oh yeah, why does God have a sense of humor? Because I received His message to lighten up. As I gave Moses' dosage this morning, on the prescription bottle it says, "Do not take this drug if you become pregnant". As a neutered boy this was to absurd for me not to note.

May you all see the ways God attempts to speak, "Love and laugh." That is the cure for gloominess. Have a blessed day and be a blessing to others.

rosie
Award Member
rosie
Award Member

5:11 PM - Mar 09, 2008 #6

ah dear sweet candy my heart goes out to u
for i love my dog and know how much u love yours
u will get through this i am sure
i am here for u candy
love rosie :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

8:22 AM - Mar 10, 2008 #7

Thanks, Rosie! How is Ben these days?

Moses' comfort level appears to be stabilized for about 10 hours at a time. The Vet said he would adjust the dosage either way depending on what I see. I am content right now with the medication. Lucky "looks" like not a thing is wrong. I asked DH is he was sure Lucky did not just get whacked in the face in the woods on his walk. Now, neither of us are sure because the swelling went down as rapidly as it came about.

Delete
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Delete
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

4:12 PM - Mar 11, 2008 #8

Editor -- I just read your recent posts! So happy Lucky's swelling has gone down!
wrote:Do not take this drug if you become pregnant.
I appreciate the humor! So glad that Moses' comfort level has improved!

Blessings!

Banned account
Hallelujah Member
Hallelujah Member
Banned account
Hallelujah Member
Hallelujah Member

5:42 PM - Mar 11, 2008 #9

Candy, that is great about Lucky's swelling going down. I am certainly glad Moses has a better comfort level. :hug:

5:52 PM - Mar 11, 2008 #10

Thanks, Ironia and Barbara. I failed to credit God for voiding the trip to the Vet for Lucky. I was so concerned because Lucky has to wear a muzzle there and I kept on wondering how we would accomplish that oneI am pubically proclaiming that God loves and cares and healed him. :praise:

I was just sitting on the sofa and kissing Moses and telling him how much I love him. The boys are always here for me and the house is not as empty. You ladies sure help too!