I want to get back... where do I start?!?

MusicMom
God's Grace Helper
MusicMom
God's Grace Helper

March 23rd, 2007, 3:23 am #1

I need some help here...I'll tell you my story (the short version)...
but first
:rolleyes: HELLO, again! I've been away too long, I guess.

Five years ago I lost about 28 lbs. (on ediets) and kept it off for nearly two years!!! PTL! Then we moved to where we are now and our habits got changed, etc. I gradually have put all but about 5 lbs. back on my body--ugh. I'd like to lose 20. HELP!!!

I keep trying to do one thing or another but get so discouraged when those things don't seem to help me lose (I mean like walking 3 times a week, drinking water, etc.). Maybe I can't just do one thing at a time. I'm thinking that maybe if I add in one good habit every few weeks I will keep them better.

Am I wrong? Or if not, what do you suggest is the best thing to start doing first? I am already walking 2 miles, usually 3 times a week. I'm trying to eat healthy but I think my portions get too big sometimes. WHY can't I do this this time? It seems infinitely harder to get going!

Thanks in advance for all your comments and encouragement!

Delete
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Delete
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

March 23rd, 2007, 3:40 am #2

Hi MusicMom! Welcome back! You made the first major step in posting! I too lost a lot of weight and regain it back! But the Lord has given me another chance to lose weight again by interacting with this loving group! Take your time, read the various posts, and let the Lord lead you again in your weight loss journey! :)

Ariella
Heaven Bound
Heaven Bound
Ariella
Heaven Bound
Heaven Bound

March 23rd, 2007, 4:27 am #3

Hi Musicmom great to see you returning!!! i like your idea of adding in something new every few weeks; you have the exercise under control for now - so now's a good time to start making changes to portion sizes and reducing those - step by step -- but combining the steps as we go :) The encouragement and fellowship here is great incentive as well and a great support so I hope you'll find time to make regular visits - i know you'll be blessed. There are several challenges going on which can also help with the journey; like a water drinking challenge and right now theres one on eliminating evening eating - so if thats a problem area for you why not look into the challenge!!! Praying God blesses you and rewards your desire to lose weight; and helps you to know which direction to go! Bless you and again great to see you back!

March 23rd, 2007, 4:31 am #4

Such a lovely surprise to see you again! One baby step at a time, or work on the mindset by re-reading the truths that worked for you the first time, OR BOTH. I am glad you are walking. Join the Walk By Faith thread in the Gym forum for encouragement. I believe you counted calories before. Know your range and work on getting there by tracking and journaling again. We are here to offer you the support and prayer you need. Check out the Challenge Central forum and see which challenges you would like to join. It really helps. Welcome back!

J.I.L.
Hallelujah Member
Hallelujah Member
J.I.L.
Hallelujah Member
Hallelujah Member

March 23rd, 2007, 5:08 am #5

I agree one day at a time one meal at a time one workout at a time, slow and steady wins the race, progressive change is the name of the game.
wrote:WHY can't I do this this time? It seems infinitely harder to get going!
You can do it this time, that obstacle of weight we have will be overcome this time for with God all things are possible. Musicmom, you got God on your side and we :home: are rooting for ya :rah:
BTW way to go with the healthy changes you have already started, thats great!

rosie
Award Member
rosie
Award Member

March 23rd, 2007, 8:28 am #6

yes my friend i have been where you are many times
but you have the right idear , take :baby: one day at a time, one meal at a time
and do what you have said get work on one change at a time, i am like you i try to many changes and then i give up
establish a new habit before you start on a new on, and i am also talking to myself here as well
and stay close to this :brill: :fel: for the love and support you will get here
and remember YOU CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST THAT STRENGTHENS YOU , keep that in your mind at all times
welcome back my friend
love rosie :hug: :hug: :god: :rain: :power: :hc: :feed: :back: :dog:

MusicMom
God's Grace Helper
MusicMom
God's Grace Helper

March 23rd, 2007, 2:44 pm #7

:th: everyone!
I forget how much I need encouragement.

Have a very blessed day!!!

Melanie

Roseheart
Hallelujah Member
Hallelujah Member
Roseheart
Hallelujah Member
Hallelujah Member

March 24th, 2007, 8:13 am #8

Melanie, one thing I commend you on is doing something about the 5 lb weight gain now before it becomes 10, 15, 20, etc. It won't either if you stay on top of things. So what happened? You said "then we moved to where we are now and our habits got changed". Obviously, you had developed some very good habits. How long has it been since you moved? Did you eat out of stress or loneliness (new place, new people, etc. and missing your old friends, old places)? If that is the case, perhaps a visit to the Chamber of Commerce or Visitor's Office may give you some new information of some new and fun things to do. It will give you new opportunities to make new friends too.

monkey143
Trustee
Trustee

March 24th, 2007, 11:49 am #9

Hi! I agree with everyone here, esp. Denise - starting early to nip it in the bud is so important. Your theory about making small changes is excellent, and one I tried when I was 2 pounds over what I thought was ideal for me. That's now 22 pounds, so before my story is yours, I really want to encourage you to read ChangeOne, by Readers Digest. It's a fantastic step-by-step plan to do what you want to do, instead of floundering around and getting discouraged. ChangeOne really works and it shouldn't take you that long, from where you're at - and the habits you learn you will carry with you for the rest of your life. :)

March 24th, 2007, 2:23 pm #10

Melanie has 20 pounds to lose after re-gaining all but 5 of her loss. Maintenance was never a thought in our pretty little Christian heads. We had success driven mindsets, period. That is where the real battle begins, Melanie, I am retracing my steps again, so you aren't alone here. Come often. There is much to :feed: here.