How Long Does It Take

September 29th, 2007, 5:48 am #1

DD is using CPAP. She asked me to ask you this:
wrote: I still do not like my sleep mask.  I just don't like stuff on my face when
I am trying to sleep.  I did eventually fall asleep, and although I woke
up several times, I did sleep with it on for about 7 hours.  I did not feel
any better this morning, and was still tired when I woke up.      Do any of
your people remember how long it took to notice a difference in how they
felt?

Deleted User
Deleted User

September 29th, 2007, 10:34 am #2

:morn:

I noticed a difference after the first night sleeping with CPAP. If she does not notice a difference soon - I think within the next few days, she should talk to her doctor. The pressure on her machine may not be set correctly and not fully correcting her sleep apnea.

September 29th, 2007, 10:54 am #3

I certainly appreciate your quick reply, Dave. When the health care dropped it off, that is all he did. It was my understanding they explained it and adjusted it. Yesterday her husband woke her up because the mask had slid off and the machine woke him up. I told her she is going to have to work with the provider and not be so easily discouraged.

September 30th, 2007, 3:15 pm #4

Her problem in my guestimation is that no chin strap was provided. Did they with you are were you supposed to ask after that discovery?
wrote:I gave up after about 30 minutes last night..  I definitely need the chin
strap...  I keep opening my mouth and then I sorta "panic" because the
machine does weird things when the mouth it open..    I quit until I get a
chin strap, and even then I have my doubts.

Deleted User
Deleted User

September 30th, 2007, 7:34 pm #5

Our masks have good head straps and are very comfortable. I know there are optional chin straps available to help keep the mouth closed, which is very important. Your daughter definately needs to be assertive with her provider and get a mask that fits properly. It means all the difference in the world, as people won't wear the mask all night, or at all, if it is not comfortable.

October 1st, 2007, 4:42 am #6

I sure appreciate your replies and so does, Michele. She was quite discouraged and is now waiting on a chin strap. :th:

October 2nd, 2007, 9:11 am #7

Update from Michele.
wrote:I did try the mask again last night..  laid in bed until midnight... finally fell asleep but woke up fast as I apparently opened my mouth..  machine goes crazy..    I have to stop trying until I get the chin strap as I just get frustrated.

Anybody have frustration stories?

Deleted User
Deleted User

October 2nd, 2007, 10:24 am #8

:morn:

If our masks are not on correctly, air leaks out and there is lots of noise. If this happens in the night to Fayrda or me, we help eachother get the mask on correctly. That is frustring, and over the years we have learned to make sure our masks are on tightly before going to sleep.

Another piece of advice I just though of...Michelle should make sure she is really tired and ready to fall asleep before putting on the mask and machine. If not, it can cause frustration as she breathes against the pressure. We have learned the right time to put the mask on before falling asleep. Just have to make sure to do it, and not fall asleep without the mask and machine on.

It sounds like Michelle should wait for the chin strap. Hopefully she will get that soon, and the help she needs to get the mask and machine working for her.

October 2nd, 2007, 11:17 am #9

Thanks, Dave. I just sent that to her. I can't encourage her from experience, but you sure have. :th:

Deleted User
Deleted User

October 2nd, 2007, 11:23 am #10

Always happy to help a good friend. :)