having to say goodbye to my baby

Wendy Adelissa
God's Grace Warrior
Wendy Adelissa
God's Grace Warrior

August 20th, 2008, 6:45 pm #1

Hello, I want to tell you the story of my best friend, Thumper. It was Christmas time in 1995, I was 15 years old and my parents were going through a really hard time financially. I said all I wanted for Christmas was a dog, my mom being a little afraid of dogs used the excuse that we couldn't have dogs in the apartment (even though 3 years later my dad did buy a dog who has come and gone but that is another story). She agreed to letting me have a cat. I am an animal lover first and foremost but to be honest I got my fill of cats as a child (I was only around the alpha male kind that liked to scratch) I wanted that undying loyalty and affection of a dog, but I figured any pet was better than none. I decided wanted a female cat around 6 months old who was black and white with a pink nose. I planned on naming her miss suzy after a beloved bedtime story that was read to me as a child. So I called the cat people (a nonprofit that places cats in homes). I went to this house, oddly it was the home of a classmate. They had 13 cats! but only one of them came up to me. He wasn't the most affectionate or lively of the bunch, but he looked at me like, I need to go home with you. Chalk it up to being a very innocent 15 year old but at that point I still thought I had a girl. He was a little larger than I would have expected a 6 month old cat to be but based on his birthday they gave me that is how old he was (my mom still says he has to be older). 2 weeks into our relationship which included me kicking him off my bed every night as I got used to him sleeping right at my feet, we realized, this is a boy! If only I had been a johnny cash fan at that point we might have had a boy named sue! But I was amazed at how high he could jump, according to his previous owners he was born on easter weekend 1995. So thumper stuck.
We have been through a lot together. He has always been a rather low energy cat. He had his fun as a kitten but for the most part he was a sleeper. Not a cuddle kitty really but he used to lick me awake when he was hungry. He loved to be groomed and was even good in the bathtub even though I knew he hated it.
I know this might draw some criticism but we have been a poor family financially and my mom always had the attitude that we fulfilled our first duty by saving an animal that probably would have been put to sleep by now anyway. I paid for his neutering, first shots and declawing (my mom's insistence) but never took him back after that because of finances.
He developed a cough that has been going on for several years but we figured it was asthma or something, he is also a long hair cat so we thought furballs at first. it never slowed him down. Everything was wonderful until this past November. He got a bloody nose, fever, and lost a lot of weight from not eating. He got better but was never the same. He never played again, never really wanted to be bothered after that. This happened again twice, he would stop eating for 5 days, lose some bowel function, have a bloody nose and stool, and then be perfectly fine.
Last month he got what appears to be a bad ear infection (bleeding inside the ear) but what has made us make this decision is he acts half the time like he doesn't know me. He meows from under my bed because he is hungry but is to fearful to come out and eat, so we are having to feed him as much as we can the one time he comes out every day. I have to stand over him when he eats because he is so jittery and nervous that if I don't he will run away. He is very weak as well. My plan is to go next Friday (8/29) if they can fit him in. I plan to pay the extra $20 and have him sedated first. I just can't bear to actually watch him die and no matter what anyone tells me I just don't trust the painlessness of the procedure. I figure if he is out he is less likely to know what is happening to him. I have put this decision off for months because I had issues with playing God so to speak. I kept praying he would die in his sleep. But it has come down to am I keeping him alive for him or for me...and that answer is obvious right now. He has no life.
I might actually get my dog in a few months, and I am waiting until I am sure I can afford vet visits this time, but I am so glad I had my Thumper first. My bedroom is going to be very lonely as I have shared my bed with him for nearly 13 years. I am also worried about my niece Rebekah who is autistic. Thumper means a lot to her. She even calls my room Thumper's room.
Sorry so lengthy but I knew you guys would understand. I was practically a child when I got him and I feel so old now in so many ways, it is more than letting go of my pet, it is like part of me is dying. In a very real sense I am losing a beloved family member.
Wendy

August 20th, 2008, 8:35 pm #2

Dear Wendy, I understand the pain in the decision--do or don't or be damned.

May God, our Creator of all creation, great and small and of all flesh, send a merciful resolve for Thumper. My prayers, dear Lord for Your peace are for all that were mentioned in Wendy's post. Amen

carolr3639
Sold Out To God
carolr3639
Sold Out To God

August 20th, 2008, 9:34 pm #3

Ah Wendy, you're making us cry. I love cats and feel so bad when they die. My DH is a vet. It really hurts him to put an animal to sleep. Praying for you.

Wendy Adelissa
God's Grace Warrior
Wendy Adelissa
God's Grace Warrior

August 21st, 2008, 5:47 am #4

Here are a couple of photos of my baby taken about 5 years ago. He was a lot fatter then :) (yay I just learned to post pics :) )

We had another cat for a while that was an outside cat, while thumper is an inside cat. We always said Thumper was the Laurence Olivier type while Tigger (a gray tabby) was the John Wayne type lol. Thumper is a very refined, somewhat serious, and spoiled kitty, Tigger was a man's man kitty who decided one day he had enough of us and went on to greener pastures...we always suspected he had more than one home lol.

Deleted User
Deleted User

August 23rd, 2008, 7:11 am #5

praying for you.

Wendy Adelissa
God's Grace Warrior
Wendy Adelissa
God's Grace Warrior

August 24th, 2008, 4:23 am #6

We have decided on Labor day since no one in the family has anything going on on that day and the vet we picked is open then. Thank you for all your prayers, I feel a little better and more at peace on the decision but nothing is going to help with the loss but time and God's grace, I am sure.

August 24th, 2008, 6:17 am #7

Wendy, I wrote this on the day I had to put K-9 down. I passed it on to Davedsel when he had to put Maxx down. I give and pray it for Thumper and your family.

Prayer For Pet's Euthanasia

Heavenly Father, I had to face a decision that I never thought I could make. I had to have my beloved pet euthanized. What a struggle to come to this decision. What anxiety and grief I feel. And now there is the guilt.

Father God, this decision was not made with haste. I believe that You are the giver and taker of life. I have never before had to place myself in this position. I made this choice with great love and compassion in my heart.

Almighty God, I ask for your forgiveness for taking a life and for not waiting on You as I have done with all my other pets. I am glad that we have this option to spare our pets from inhumane suffering and that we are able to give them a peaceful death.

Lord God, I thank You that You have given this means to trusted Veterinarians that mourn an animal's death and that have compassion and understanding for the owner who struggles with this decision.

God of all comfort, I thank You for ministering to me during this procedure and afterward when reality haunted me. I thank You that I did not have to face this alone. I thank You for all the family and friends that granted me solace during my grief. I thank You for a wonderful support system.

Creator God, I thank You in Your wisdom that You have given us companion animals to love. I thank You for my animal's loyalty and faithfulness. I thank You for the rich memories I have to hold onto.

Lord, in Your mercy I have returned my pet to You. In Your mercy I believe You hold him in Your heart for his faithful service to me on earth. I pray that I might have peace of mind and presence of spirit to know that You are indeed in control. I bring my petition before You, in the name of the Good Shepherd. Amen

Wendy Adelissa
God's Grace Warrior
Wendy Adelissa
God's Grace Warrior

August 25th, 2008, 2:41 pm #8

Thankyou Candy :)

Wendy Adelissa
God's Grace Warrior
Wendy Adelissa
God's Grace Warrior

August 29th, 2008, 1:33 am #9

Thumper took a turn for the worse and was losing bladder control so we took him in this afternoon. I was so surprised how quick and painless the whole procedure was. His heart actually stopped pretty much the instant the needle was removed. He looked so peaceful. My mom once commented on how when people die the lines of worry from the world often look like they just disappeared. I felt like that with Thumper. I will miss him dearly but I think God has given me peace over the whole situation and I know I did the right thing.

August 29th, 2008, 7:49 am #10

Wendy, saddened that Thumper will no longer be there with you now, but rejoicing that Thumper is at peace and gave you that sign of his love for you as final good-byes were said. May God continue to comfort you.