female related question

shayna
shayna

October 23rd, 2007, 12:54 pm #1

Ok, sorry if this is tmi
I have a question about how to eat healthy at that women's time of month.
I get - and this is a hormonal thing apparantly - um - lots of gas and even the runs a day or two before and during my period.
Normally I eat tons of salad, but I can't during this time of month because it upsets my stomach even more.
So, I wind up eating lots more bread and things during this time of month because I can't eat as much fresh fruits and veggies as I normally do.
I think cooked veggies sit better - but I don't usually eat those for lunch because it takes time to chop and steam veggies and leftover fresh steamed veggies are not as good the next day although they are ok when thrown into a salad.
So, I will have a bagel and lunchmeat for breakfast - my usual breakfast and then again for lunch during this time of month often and that is not real healthy.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

October 23rd, 2007, 1:05 pm #2

Good question for those that still have TOM. I am through that for over ten years now. I was reading yesterday however about a high fiber diet which includes most fruits and veggies. I do think what you are doing for that few days a month is fine. Foods that do bind are high fat foods (those cold cuts would qualify),
rice, bananas, potatoes without the skin on and cheese.

monkey143
Trustee
Trustee

October 25th, 2007, 11:00 am #3

Hi, Shayna. This is a common complaint, as the hormones that fluctuate during our periods also cause intestinal upset. CE didn't add eggs to the list of binders but since they are sulfuric, they might not help your gas trouble. For that, have you tried GasX or Beeno?

The thing that helped me the most with ALL factors of PMS was going off sugar. That included the sugar in pasta sauce, ketchup and canned veggies - it included white bread, all pasta, all potatoes. I started that eating plan about a week before my TOM and experienced NOTHING but a little blood. No cramps, no irritability, no GI upset, nothing.

Good luck. :)

monkey143
Trustee
Trustee

October 25th, 2007, 11:01 am #4

PS - CE, I see you have 34,343 posts. Cool! 3434343434343 :lol:

monkey143
Trustee
Trustee

October 25th, 2007, 11:01 am #5

...and I also noticed I've been here longer that I have NOT been here! :)

Ariella
Heaven Bound
Heaven Bound
Ariella
Heaven Bound
Heaven Bound

October 29th, 2007, 12:51 am #6

hey shayna :wave: great question!!!! i hope what has been said already will help you --- i don't suffer in the same way as you mentioned during that time of the month as far as eating desires, but i know its something many women do ..... and you ask a great question!!! how would soup work? that could be heated up - especially as you head into winter ..... when the salad doesn't work for you

Wendy Adelissa
God's Grace Warrior
Wendy Adelissa
God's Grace Warrior

December 7th, 2007, 3:40 pm #7

Hello, just noticed your question. I have pmdd or whatever it is called, where I get a heavy depression as well as the GI symptoms about a week before and while it hasn't cured it completely, I also have found not necessarily a low carb but a good carb diet has helped. Aside from not getting the GI symptoms from too much sugar, it really helped stabilize my mood. Dieting was always hard for me before...puts such a strain on nerves when you are hungry. But high fiber, low calorie foods keep you full longer and are less damaging on a diet and therefore less damaging on your nerves :) My diet consists of about 4-5 veggies, 2 fruits, 2 whole grains and 2 dairys and things are much much better!

landjk8
landjk8

December 12th, 2007, 1:44 pm #8

Shayna - Why not change up your breakfast a little bit even if you have bagel for lunch??? oatmeal works for me great. I put a little cinnamon, splenda brown sugar,
and low cal butter. It really doesn't take much to fill me up and last for about 5 hours!