Denominational Opinions?

editor
God's Grace Special Angel
editor

November 3rd, 2014, 5:14 pm #1

The Pocket Testament League
Today at 4:13 AM

Day 861: Unclean? Then You Shouldn't Do It!

Romans 14:14b

...But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for him it is unclean.

Thoughts for Today:

The great nineteenth century preacher Charles Spurgeon, took a good deal of criticism for his admitted passion for cigar smoking. It was reported a man once came to him and said, "I heard you smoked, but I cannot believe it to be true." Spurgeon replied, "I cultivate my flowers, and burn my weeds." ("Burning weeds" was Spurgeon's way of confirming he smoked.)

People are often shocked at how one person might freely participate in an activity which others do not find to be acceptable. Skirmishes then break out. Fights begin. And many times division is the result. Just look at all the denominations we have within the Christian faith. Most, if not all, were the product of a disagreement regarding doctrine, conduct, or some nuance in the form of worship.

Spurgeon's perspective on cigar smoking seems to be a lot like Paul's on dietary restrictions. They might both have said, "Personally, I don't think anything is unclean by itself. But if someone thinks it's unclean for them, then for them it is." The key is -- for the individual, personally -- not necessarily for everyone else. In his later years, Spurgeon would eventually give up his favored pastime. Why? Because one day he opened the New York times to find a full page ad with the headline: "The Cigar that Charles Spurgeon Smokes". But that's a whole different subject, which Paul will soon address.

Questions to Ponder:

Do you think it is "unclean" for someone to smoke cigarettes? What about cigars? Consume alcoholic beverages? Or dance? There are Christians who love the Lord, and are born again, yet do all those things with freedom in Christ. Some churches have made one or all of those activities a matter of salvation. Paul tells us this should not be our perspective. We are not to judge. Only God judges. However, if we think it is unclean for us, then we shouldn't do it

gracie
Heaven Bound
Heaven Bound
gracie
Heaven Bound
Heaven Bound

November 24th, 2014, 4:55 am #2

Wow! I never would've guessed. I hate cigars and cigar smoke, and yet, somehow I like Spurgeon even more than previously. :p

gracie
Heaven Bound
Heaven Bound
gracie
Heaven Bound
Heaven Bound

November 24th, 2014, 4:55 am #3

oops, double post

editor
editor