Cottage Pie Recipe

Deleted User
Deleted User

May 20th, 2013, 3:19 am #1

Here is my version of a Cottage Pie. Strictly speaking, a Cottage Pie uses beef, turkey or pork where a Shepherd's Pie uses lamb. Traditionally the topping is mashed potatoes, but I now use mashed cauliflower. The texture and flavor is very much like mashed potatoes but with far fewer carbohydrates. It takes a little extra work to make this recipe, but we enjoy it very much.

Cottage Pie Recipe

INGREDIENTS

Topping
1 head of raw or 2 bags of frozen cauliflower
salt/pepper to taste
1 tsp garlic powder and/or your favorite herbs and spices
½ cup milk
2-3 tablespoons butter
1 to 1.5 cup shredded of diced cheese, any type
2 eggs, beaten

Base
1 pound ground meat (beef, turkey, chicken or pork)
1 large or two small onions, peeled and diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt/pepper to taste
1 tsp garlic powder and/or your favorite herbs and spices
1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
1 package beef gravy mix

Middle
2 cans any type of vegetable, drained and rinsed OR 1 bag frozen vegetables, cooked for 2 minutes then drained.

DIRECTIONS

Topping
In large pot, place cauliflower (cut raw head into small pieces) and cover with water. Cover and bring to boil and cook for 20-30 minutes until cauliflower pieces are very soft.
Drain cauliflower pieces in colander and rinse with cold water. Shake off excess water and return cauliflower to pot.
Mash cauliflower until smooth.
Add milk, butter, cheese and seasonings. Stir thoroughly.
Add the two beaten eggs and mix well. Set aside while cooking base.

Base
In a large saute pan, cook the diced onion in the olive oil until onion just starts to brown. Add seasonings while cooking.
Add the ground meat and cook until no pink is visible.
Turn off heat.
Add the diced tomatoes and about ¼ cup water to rinse out can.
Add the gravy mix and stir completely.

FINAL PREPARATIONS
Put cooked base into 13x9” pan of any type. Spread vegetables over base mix. Carefully spread
topping over vegetables and base.

Bake in a 375 degree oven for 30-35 minutes. Broil for 5-10 minutes until top is nicely browned.
Remove from oven and let sit on stove top for about 15 or 20 minutes. Cut into slices and serve 6-8 people.

May 20th, 2013, 11:40 am #2

Way to many steps involved for me but it does sound yummy. I finally have a stove/oven and will be revisiting our Soup's On forum.

Confirmation of reply: