June 29th, 2018, 10:37 pm #71

Hey, I know this is 2 years old but I hope you see this evilwombat, I just used your guide to help unbrick my gopro thank you so much for making this guide! Very simple and easy to follow instructions.

July 8th, 2018, 4:47 am #72

rafafernandezr83 wrote: Still freezing, what can i do???
Please help!!
I'm afraid you are stuck with the usual steps: format the card, and/or try another card. It's amazing how many freezes during recording are caused by cards that are (a) corrupted and need formatting, (b) are too slow, or (c) counterfeit, leading to (a) and/or (b).

If it's freezing without a card, you most likely have a hardware-damaged unit, and firmware reflashing will not help here. The only advice is to check for corrosion on the herobus connector, which can short out if wet or rusted (especially towards the bottom of the connector, where the power pins are). Aside from this, you can call them and see if they'll replace the camera.

August 16th, 2018, 4:37 pm #73

I cannot say how thankful I am for unbricking my gopro 4 silver with your method.
Thank you so much, you are the best.

August 17th, 2018, 6:49 pm #74

Having actually already put my bricked Go Pro Hero 4 Black in the trash and feeling depressed I thought I'd have another google search for giving my Go Pro life again after trying all the "button holding and stand on 1 foot" methods over 3 days. Came across this and wasn't actually thinking it would work, however thinking I'd give it one last go, I fished the Go Pro out of the trash can, thankfully it wasn't cover in goo. I tried it using a Mac, crazy I know, anyway it worked, I'm so so grateful. Thank you very much for this, very happy.

August 19th, 2018, 4:02 pm #75

evilwombat wrote:
rafafernandezr83 wrote: Still freezing, what can i do???
Please help!!
I'm afraid you are stuck with the usual steps: format the card, and/or try another card. It's amazing how many freezes during recording are caused by cards that are (a) corrupted and need formatting, (b) are too slow, or (c) counterfeit, leading to (a) and/or (b).

If it's freezing without a card, you most likely have a hardware-damaged unit, and firmware reflashing will not help here. The only advice is to check for corrosion on the herobus connector, which can short out if wet or rusted (especially towards the bottom of the connector, where the power pins are). Aside from this, you can call them and see if they'll replace the camera.
evilwombat - THANK YOU!! You relieved me from the angst and stress, and gave me a proper fix to my Hero 4 . Thank you!!!

August 26th, 2018, 4:57 pm #76

I had an issue following the later steps of this guide. I had got up to Part 5, running the program and seeing the wombat on the GoPro screen. after that, code started loading on the screen of the GoPro, but it eventually said that it couldn't mount the SD card and to try again. I tried three different microSD cards, all 32GB capacity formatted with FAT32 and only the h4-recovery.tgz file on there. One was a SanDisk extreme, and the other two were Micro Center cards. I'm suspecting that the SD card reader on the GoPro might be dead, but I'm not sure. Can you think of anything that would be wrong, or if there's a possible fix?

Also the GoPro is a Hero 4 Black, if that helps. Thanks in advance, and awesome guide nonetheless!

September 3rd, 2018, 5:13 pm #77

I seem to get writing errors during flashing..
Does this mean I have a broken motherboard?
GoPro hero 4 black edition got bricked during an interrupted OTA update. Still powers up, but its bricked and useless.
writing_failed_error.JPG

September 15th, 2018, 9:44 pm #78

Hi Evilwombat, thanks a lot for the tutorial. I have flashed one gopro 4 Black successfully. Another 4 black says update complete, but when try to start it, it wont start. Any suggestions?
thanks