6:32 PM - Mar 27, 2018 #51

Awesome! You're welcome. I'm glad it's working for you :)

3:14 PM - Apr 02, 2018 #52

Thank you so much for contributing!
But sadly neither my PC or Mac can communicate with the camera
"Initializing libusb
Could not find the camera USB device.
 - Is the camera plugged in? Is it in USB command mode?
 - If you are using Linux, do you have permissions to access the USB device?"
Any suggestions?
I don´t think it is hardware fault because it worked when I left it and unfortunately for to long.
Any suggestions?

7:59 PM - Apr 02, 2018 #53

Make sure your are currently following the steps to get the camera into recovery mode. Unplug the camera and pull out the battery. Press and hold the shutter button, plug camera into PC, and only then let go of Shutter. That should do it... I suppose it's possible that Windows will make you reinstall the drivers or something, but Windows should at least make a sound when you plug the camera in.

2:41 AM - Apr 03, 2018 #54

evilwombat wrote: Make sure your are currently following the steps to get the camera into recovery mode. Unplug the camera and pull out the battery. Press and hold the shutter button, plug camera into PC, and only then let go of Shutter. That should do it... I suppose it's possible that Windows will make you reinstall the drivers or something, but Windows should at least make a sound when you plug the camera in.
Thank you.
I hear the sound in windows so I know it is connected. The problem arises when the script is run.

3:24 AM - Apr 03, 2018 #55

>> I hear the sound in windows so I know it is connected.  The problem arises when the script is run.

Hmm. Does the camera show up in Device Manager (under 'libusb devices' or whatnot)? Or does it show up as an unknown device? Can you verify that you have the correct drivers installed? You may have to (re-)run Zadig again. Did you use the libusb or the libusbK option in Zadig?

2:01 AM - Apr 04, 2018 #56

evilwombat wrote: >> I hear the sound in windows so I know it is connected.  The problem arises when the script is run.

Hmm. Does the camera show up in Device Manager (under 'libusb devices' or whatnot)? Or does it show up as an unknown device? Can you verify that you have the correct drivers installed? You may have to (re-)run Zadig again. Did you use the libusb or the libusbK option in Zadig?
You are so correct. I used the standard USB drivers and and when the beep came on I was confident it was ok, but it was not properly identified.
I ran Zadig libusbk and although it did not say more than unknown device it was recognized as a Gopro so I went ahead.
And it worked!
After the procedure the camera started to charge the battery again and while it was doing that I inserted the micro SD in the PC and the Gopro Quik software inserted new firmware to it and then I put in the camera and a couple of minutes later everything is great!

Your help is so much appreciated and so swift.
I´d like to send a small gift. If you would like to receive it, send me paypal account or what you use.

Have a great day!

11:34 AM - Apr 15, 2018 #57

Thank you!! This works and fixed my GoPro4 Silver. Your step-by-step instructions were perfect. Thank you for fixing my issue!!!

6:09 AM - Jun 18, 2018 #58

Hi evilwombat, 

First of all, I'd like to thank you for sharing this awesome guide. I was hoping this could be the final saviour to my bricked Hero4Silver.
I've been following your conversation with Bempa68 'cause I got exactly same problem as him. When I followed your steps, supposedly put my bricked Hero4Silver into recovery mode, then connected to my iMac, it wouldn't recognise the camera, showing error message in Terminal as below: 
"Initializing libusb
Could not find the camera USB device.
 - Is the camera plugged in? Is it in USB command mode?
 - If you are using Linux, do you have permissions to access the USB device?"

Trouble is that I don't have a PC, is there any suggestion you can provide? Much appreciated!

7:24 AM - Jun 18, 2018 #59

Hmm. The first thing to check would be to verify that you are running the tool as "root". When running the recovery command on your Mac, are you being asked for your password? The program needs direct access to USB devices to talk to the camera, hence the password request. (If you are running the tool several times in a row, you may only be prompted for the password the first time, which is fine).

Next, I would make sure that you are following the recovery steps correctly. That is, remove battery from camera, hold down the Record button (top), plug in USB, then let go of the button.

Next, we could try to play with USB a little. Unfortunately, the USB recovery mode built into the camera is a bit quirky, and it might not work with all USB ports. For instance, I get the same problem on my laptop when I use a USB 3.0 port, but not a USB 2.0 port (but my other laptop only has USB 3.0 ports and they all work fine). So as you can see, it's a combination of USB quirks in the camera's bootloader, and how computers respond to those quirks. With Macs, sometimes it helps to insert a USB hub between the camera and the Mac, though on other Macs, I've seen USB hubs cause problems (and plugging the camera directly into the Mac).

Next, and I realize this may not be particularly helpful, you can ask around and see if you know anyone with a PC, to see if things behave differently. I know this is a bit of a cop-out solution, but hopefully the recovery procedure is only something you only have to do once.

Finally, it is possible that the camera is electrically dead, which might explain why it won't enumerate over USB. My tool can only recover firmware-related issues (mainly caused by glitched updates), but there may be other reasons a camera could be dead (such as something being shorted or fried) which would require physical electrical repair. In your case, I am not sure what the problem would be, but it IS entirely possible that the failure to detect the camera is caused by Mac OS quirks, rather than by camera damage. But you never know (which is why comparing to a Windows or Linux PC might be interesting). As a wild guess, if your camera was bricked by a failed update installation, there is an excellent chance you will be able to recover it. But if the camera was bricked by falling into water (especially salt water), then that's obviously a very different story :)

Good luck, and sorry I couldn't be of more help here
- evilwombat

Ps. Hero4s in rough environments can in rare-ish cases develop corrosion in the Herobus port, which can sometimes short out the power/ground signals and prevent the camera from turning on. If you know this is the problem, cleaning the corrosion out of the Herobus connector with a little bit of alcohol can help.

7:35 AM - Jun 18, 2018 #60

Hi evilwombat,
Thank you so much for taking much of your time to give me thorough guidance. I can confirm: 1. I followed your steps precisely to put camera into recovery mode, 2. I used original GoPro USB cable directly connecting to USB2.0 port on iMac, 3. I took the camera with me in a few scuba dives (in GoPro waterproof case) but it worked fine afterwards. However I did leave it in a drawer for over the past 10 months without charging it.
I will try again on a PC and clean the USB connector as suggested. Will report back.
Thank you again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk