How to reflash firmware onto a bricked Hero4 camera over USB

Discuss the GoPro Hero4 Silver Here

March 27th, 2018, 6:32 pm #51

Awesome! You're welcome. I'm glad it's working for you :)

April 2nd, 2018, 3:14 pm #52

Thank you so much for contributing!
But sadly neither my PC or Mac can communicate with the camera
"Initializing libusb
Could not find the camera USB device.
 - Is the camera plugged in? Is it in USB command mode?
 - If you are using Linux, do you have permissions to access the USB device?"
Any suggestions?
I don´t think it is hardware fault because it worked when I left it and unfortunately for to long.
Any suggestions?

April 2nd, 2018, 7:59 pm #53

Make sure your are currently following the steps to get the camera into recovery mode. Unplug the camera and pull out the battery. Press and hold the shutter button, plug camera into PC, and only then let go of Shutter. That should do it... I suppose it's possible that Windows will make you reinstall the drivers or something, but Windows should at least make a sound when you plug the camera in.

April 3rd, 2018, 2:41 am #54

evilwombat wrote: Make sure your are currently following the steps to get the camera into recovery mode. Unplug the camera and pull out the battery. Press and hold the shutter button, plug camera into PC, and only then let go of Shutter. That should do it... I suppose it's possible that Windows will make you reinstall the drivers or something, but Windows should at least make a sound when you plug the camera in.
Thank you.
I hear the sound in windows so I know it is connected. The problem arises when the script is run.

April 3rd, 2018, 3:24 am #55

>> I hear the sound in windows so I know it is connected.  The problem arises when the script is run.

Hmm. Does the camera show up in Device Manager (under 'libusb devices' or whatnot)? Or does it show up as an unknown device? Can you verify that you have the correct drivers installed? You may have to (re-)run Zadig again. Did you use the libusb or the libusbK option in Zadig?

April 4th, 2018, 2:01 am #56

evilwombat wrote: >> I hear the sound in windows so I know it is connected.  The problem arises when the script is run.

Hmm. Does the camera show up in Device Manager (under 'libusb devices' or whatnot)? Or does it show up as an unknown device? Can you verify that you have the correct drivers installed? You may have to (re-)run Zadig again. Did you use the libusb or the libusbK option in Zadig?
You are so correct. I used the standard USB drivers and and when the beep came on I was confident it was ok, but it was not properly identified.
I ran Zadig libusbk and although it did not say more than unknown device it was recognized as a Gopro so I went ahead.
And it worked!
After the procedure the camera started to charge the battery again and while it was doing that I inserted the micro SD in the PC and the Gopro Quik software inserted new firmware to it and then I put in the camera and a couple of minutes later everything is great!

Your help is so much appreciated and so swift.
I´d like to send a small gift. If you would like to receive it, send me paypal account or what you use.

Have a great day!

April 15th, 2018, 11:34 am #57

Thank you!! This works and fixed my GoPro4 Silver. Your step-by-step instructions were perfect. Thank you for fixing my issue!!!