How much space left on SD card?

3:24 PM - Aug 09, 2011 #1

Hello all. New Gopro user here. Just got it this week and have been playing around with it. I tried the search function, but couldn't find the answer to my question: How can you tell how much recording space is left on the SD card as you're using it? I see the numbers in the display changing as it's recording, but haven't been able to figure out what they mean. I have noticed, that while taking timed still shots, the number on the display increments with each shot. But I don't know what the number means, and how it works while I'm recording video. I'm sure there's a simple answer for this. Thanks in advance!

11:52 PM - Aug 09, 2011 #2

The numbers tell you how many files have been saved to the SD card.If the display says 1 you have 1 video/photo on the card.If the display says 10 then you have 10 videos/photos on the card.The count will only go as high as 999 and stop there but if you continue shooting the pictures will continue to be saved.
Knowing how much space is left on the card is guess work but as a general rule of thumb an 8GB card will fill up with video in about the same time as a fully charged battery lasts,depending on what video format you are using.
The first page of the instruction manual explains what all the symbols on the screen mean.

7:39 AM - Aug 10, 2011 #3

Got it. Thanks. I guess I need to look at the pictures too while I'm breezing through the instructions. :lol:

6:35 PM - Aug 10, 2011 #4

well.. for what its worth...

if the card is full.. the gopro dispplay will show a FULL sign :)

11:09 AM - Aug 10, 2018 #5

So I would rather know if my SD card is nearly full, instead of taking it out for a day and it becoming full after 10minutes.
Is it possible to find this out, on the GoPro or connected to the android app?

12:02 PM - Aug 10, 2018 #6

NImStaff wrote: So I would rather know if my SD card is nearly full, instead of taking it out for a day and it becoming full after 10minutes.
Is it possible to find this out, on the GoPro or connected to the android app?
NimStaff,what model GoPro are you using?

These posts are from 2011 and the info above relates to early model GoPros.
Things have changed with later models such as HERO 4 , 5 and 6.
Now the estimated video recording time and how many photos that will fit on the remaining card space are indicated at the bottom of the front LCD screen and at the top of the rear LCD screen in each mode.

12:18 PM - Aug 10, 2018 #7

Thank you.
I am using a hero 4 .. not sure if it's black or silver.
So on photos it says 448/1998 and video it's 55minutes.
It's a 64gb sd card so does that mean I'll have about 25gb left?

1:11 PM - Aug 10, 2018 #8

Hard to say for sure,it depends on the settings you're using.
You would have to put the card into a computer and see whats left and try to get a gauge on how much in GBs will be left at any time.
A lot of things will alter how much storage space will be used in a given amount of recording time,light levels , colours , resolution , frame rates ,protune on or off etc.
I have found the estimations in video recording time left to be fairly reliable when sticking with the same settings throughout a filming day.
The numbers for photos you mentioned is photos taken/photos left.
You will see slight changes to both sets of numbers if you change some settings.
The video numbers will update as you go to reflect a close estimate each time you stop recording.