Hi from Qld

February 2nd, 2017, 6:17 pm #1

Its actually my second time around on this forum. I used to come on a few years back and ask newbie questions regarding surf footage for my HD Hero. It now resides at the bottom of the ocean. Rambo was unreal and IIRC his watersport was outrigging and showed me footage of a good stack once. I now run the gopro 4 silver and have a side mount on a gath hat i am trying to get some tube footage with. Unfortunately i am still a crap surfer.

This is my second post so apologies for breaking the unwritten forum rule of asking a question before an intro. This time around I am trying to learn how to better use my gopro on dry land out of the housing and the best accessories to collect for better tripod based standard cam corder style footage. I am doing something a bit different for a charity when i go to Indonesia soon that I wanna film. All on my other thread though.

This is still an awesome forum.
Thanks in advance for any help
Henno

February 4th, 2017, 4:07 pm #2

169 views and not one person says hi. Looks like this forum went down hill big time.

July 10th, 2018, 12:53 am #3

i'll say hi  :)
queensland, hey its a nice spot in the world, better not tell everyone how good it is here lol. I am new to the group as well. i'm land locked here so no surfing.  i have a gopro 4 silver and just got a 6 black a couple of weeks ago. been playing around with this little beastie
2gopros.jpg

July 12th, 2018, 11:33 am #4

Hello, Queensland; I guess you're getting ready for Christmas this month since it's mid-winter Down Under.  That's a very interesting setup you've adapted for your 2 cameras using the flat adhesive mounts.  How is it attached to your truck bed?  I've never seen anything like it before.  And are you going for stereo footage with the cameras?  I've had a try, but only with stills so far, no video yet.  I acquired a second Hero 5 Black at a too-good-to-pass-up discount several weeks back; I'd bought the first early last year and used it to make a timelapse video of the eclipse since I lived within the area of totality.  I can't attach it because it's a 75mb .mp4 file and too big to post. 
GoPro3D0002 (color anaglyph).JPG
HPIM1496.JPG

July 17th, 2018, 5:59 am #5

your first photo makes my eyes go wonky lol
 correct it has been like Christmas in june over here :) . mostly because our illustrious government decided in their wisdom to impose a tax on cheap imports after july 1st, I have heard there's a new parcel fee as well (but so far my parcels have not been affected)  so that necessitated a small truckload of stuff before the new laws came into affect. needless to say i have a lot of things to play with. i bought a couple of quick connect tripod mounts, the mounts have bubble level on one corner, which is handy for balancing the steadycam i also got some different length tripod bolts. i drilled the plastic gopro mount slightly undersize and bolted them to the quick disconnect mounts. the truck as you call it is the base that comes with the steadycam. that's one of the reasons i bought it as i noticed that the base had two slots for tripod bolts,and i thought to myself hmm theres an interesting idea. if i take two of the heaviest weights off the steadycam it balances up quite nicely and overall i am quite happy with the setup. i have had some additional ideas about adding a narrower field of view lens to one of the gopros  so i could add like a view with in a view in an editor perhaps. the other thing i did was add la longer bolt and extension tube between the handle and gymbal there's an extra 25 mm of length. i must have big hands or something. the the cross slide that allows you to balance the rig has bubble levels on the bolts that tighten each slide but their useless for balancing the steadycam that about all i can add at the moment i have some other things to try but i need some time to play with it all first
steadycam1a.jpg
steadycam1b.jpg
Last edited by chardie on July 17th, 2018, 7:05 am, edited 4 times in total.

July 17th, 2018, 6:14 am #6

no stereo imaging for me, i bought the steadycam for my dslr .  So its oversize for a gopro but while i was looking at it i did notice the provision of the two slots which has sent me off on a tangent with the gopros . originally  i just meant to do a couple of comparisons between the two gopros. its actually really sidetracked me because once i took some video i learned that their not synced together as well as i thought.when you press the button to record each there's a few second difference  between pressing each record button and that really stuff things up when i want to bring them into an editor . ideally i want to display each video side by side and perhaps picture in picture sometimes too. I have learned that virtualdub which i use to create timelapse will do what i want but its extra functionality i haven't need up till now so some more things to learn and i need to crop each video to the same length so there been an extra learning curve but i think i'm close to having something to show for it soon . i might look at adding a narrower fov lens to one of the gropros  as my thinking cap has been busting with a few ideas to try not that i'm a film maker of any kind lol

July 17th, 2018, 11:22 am #7

If you say you're not a film maker, I'll take your word for it, but I submit that you've forgotten more about it than I know or am likely to ever learn.  I agree with you about the difficulty in getting both cameras to shoot simultaneously; I took advantage of the Hero 5's voice command capability but even that didn't quite come off 4 tries out of five.  The single color anaglyph I attached in my post is an example of both clicking together, providing me with usable left eye / right eye photos to work with.  Sorry your eyes got slightly crossed when viewing it; it seemed okay when I looked at thru my red/cyan glasses.  Of course I realize that for stills, a simultaneous left/right exposure isn't critical (unless the subject is noticeably moving) but it certainly is critical and then some for video.  I don't actually plan to venture into 3D video; it was just a lark I thought I'd take a look at since I had 2 of the same camera.  I've got lots of mounts, both factory and home-made, to put both cameras to good use such as shooting to same scene from different viewpoints.  

July 18th, 2018, 12:14 am #8

In my defense i do read alot online and buy a few magazines each month. my problem is it's very easy for my to procrastinate i have half a dozen half finished projects and i somehow manage to lose momentum and after that it's an up hill battle  lol
i have a pair of 3d glasses from when my brother and i went and saw a 3d movie cant remember what we saw now it was a couple of years ago , took 2 minutes to find them however when i put them on and view your photo nothing changes so maybe their only good for movies perhaps which demonstrates how much i know about 3d lol. speaking of  gopro mounts i had two more turn up in the mail today as one of the original ones that i had broke off where you insert the springy part of the clip.
my gopro6 was a coupon buy of ebay  too i was looking at buying a backbone  ribcage with a modded gopro6 the only issue for me was that any camera lens you mount gets a 5 times crop factor. i personally couldn't  see the point in turning all my lenses into basically telescopes for that price and at the same time i had a coupon that brought the price of the gopro6 to a $120 less than the main retailer here in australia. so i went with the local gopro6  actually i could have got 3 gopros for the price of a ribcage so it was pretty hard to justify that cost, for me any way

July 18th, 2018, 7:52 pm #9

There are at least several different types of glasses for 3D viewing; for the simple anaglyphs I've made, you have to use the ones with a red lens over your left eye and a blue/cyan lens over the right.  That's for either the color or the greyscale anaglyphs.  I'm quite happy with my Hero 5's, both of which I got for good prices (though they certainly weren't given away, if you know what I mean!).  The Hero 6 had a lot of vastly upgraded features, most of which wouldn't honestly make much difference to my skill level and interest; this in addition to a much higher price than I as a stereotypical Old-Man-Living-On-a-Fixed-Income could afford to pay anyway.  Hope you have a great time with yours.

July 22nd, 2018, 3:56 am #10

i am almost an old man on a pension actually i am a full time carer for my dad i had a little money, figured i could buy a few bits and pieces and play around abit considering im not working fulltime now. you cant take it with you so may as well have a few interests before times up lol . got the technique kinda sorted for my editing now. i can get two videos playing side by side however i seem to be still out of sync abit  still having trouble getting two videos to line up and play at the same time. think i may buy a bike bell and attach it to the steadcam on the handle i can ding it when i start the videos it should serve like a clapperboard in a movie i hope. i think i may have to bite the bullet and invest in a video editing program maybe. my internet is painfully slow, like to watch a few youtubes on video editing and see how things  work but its an exercise in futility most times