FLIR Scout Thermal Imager Helmet Mount

Post anything here that doesn't fit in the categories above.

FLIR Scout Thermal Imager Helmet Mount

April 30th, 2013, 10:14 am #1

Hello Forum.

Iam looking for a Solution to mount a FLIR Scout PS32 in a hands free way on my head via a headband or maybe a more stable helmet.

The scout is a handheld thermal imager that is about the same size as a Nightvision Monocular. Ive seen a couple of Military quality mounts used with NV being adapted to fit the PS32 but they are very expensive and most of them require custom work. The prices being charged for anything related to night vision is highly inflated. Like over 500 dollars for a helmet mount and then another 300+ for an adapter to make it fit with the Thermal.

So on top of your 3k for the Flir camera itself your spending another 800+ for a mount.

One solution the Community I come from has been to build a mount out of GoPro adapters. You can make an entire headband mount for under 80 instead of 800.

The flir camera iam talking about has a connection point on the bottom of it for a tripod. Its 1/4, 20 threads.

So we take a GoPro tripod adapter and a bit of 1/4, 20 threaded stock to connect the PS32 into the GoPro system.

Then we use the grab bag of mounts kit to make an arm that connects to either a headband or a NVG mount for a helmet.

It ends up looking something like this:

So you have 4 different adjustment knobs.

Basically iam coming to this board to bounce and Idea off the GoPro Community about maybe using Ram Mounts to accomplish the same task.

The ram mount comes with a rubber ball and and arm that you can position and tighten down.

This is the website:

http://www.rammount.com/newproducts/gop ... fault.aspx

They have 3 different size arms. So iam not sure which one would be best for my purpose.

Iam open to any suggestions about which ram mount arm or any other way that maybe better to mount the PS32.

April 30th, 2013, 12:44 pm #2

Ram mounts may be too heavy. Consider the Drift GoPro Mount Adaptor

April 30th, 2013, 9:46 pm #3

Something like this is my Aim

The Norotos invg mount is very pricy with the Custom adapter to fit the PS32:

http://tnvc.com/shop/norotos-invg-mount/

The Drift GoPro mount adapter would work. Good idea.

And it would be better then the GoPro Tripod mount because you dont have to get your own 1/4,20 threaded stock.

But I was just searching around and I found this:

Its a ball adapter that screws directly into 1/4,20 threads. So I can screw one of these ball adapters into the PS32 and then attach another ball adapter to either a GoPro headstrap or to a helmet with an NVG plate.

So what iam looking at now is which adjustable arm would be best for my purpose.

I think that the Ram mounts will be better then the GoPro adapter kit mount because it will be lighter and it will have fewer adjustments.

The GoPro extra mount kit is made out of metal. But the Ram Mounts are plastic with rubberized balls. Also when you tighten down on the Ram Mount it clamps down on both of the balls at the same time.

This is the smallest arm that Ram has so I think I might just try to build a mock up using the smallest parts and then buy the larger sizes if the smaller one does not work.

I just measured and from the center of my forehead to the threads on the PS32 when its at my eye is 5 inches.

This small arm is 2 inches from ball mount to ball mount. And each ball mount is 1 inch, and I need two of them. Then one of my balls mounts needs to be a ball mount to GoPro adapter like this:

So that I can connect it to a GoPro Head Strap Mount or a NVG plate mount.

Iam guessing that the connection from the ball/gopro to the Head mount will add another inch. So that means 5 total from all the pieces.

Which matches what I need.

Or do you think I should go the next size up arm to the 3 inch ?

They are so cheap I might just get both arms.

If these arms dont work I have another option called a Swivel Arm:

I have to get this to go over my Left Eye. So maybe the swivel is necessary.

July 10th, 2018, 7:54 pm #4

Xare wrote: Hello Forum.

Iam looking for a Solution to mount a FLIR Scout PS32 in a hands free way on my head via a headband or maybe a more stable helmet.

The scout is a handheld thermal imager that is about the same size as a Nightvision Monocular.   Ive seen a couple of Military quality mounts used with NV being adapted to fit the PS32 but they are very expensive and most of them require custom work.    The prices being charged for anything related to night vision is highly inflated.  Like over 500 dollars for a helmet mount and then another 300+ for an adapter to make it fit with the Thermal.

So on top of your 3k for the Flir camera itself your spending another 800+ for a mount.

One solution the Community I come from has been to build a mount out of GoPro adapters.  You can make an entire headband mount for under 80 instead of 800.

The flir camera iam talking about has a connection point on the bottom of it for a tripod.  Its 1/4, 20 threads.

So we take a GoPro tripod adapter and a bit of 1/4, 20 threaded stock to connect the PS32 into the GoPro system.

Then we use the grab bag of mounts kit to make an arm that connects to either a headband or a NVG mount for a helmet.

It ends up looking something like this:

So you have 4 different adjustment knobs.

Basically iam coming to this board to bounce and Idea off the GoPro Community about maybe using Ram Mounts to accomplish the same task.

The ram mount comes with a rubber ball and and arm that you can position and tighten down.

This is the website:

http://www.rammount.com/newproducts/gop ... fault.aspx

They have 3 different size arms.  So iam not sure which one would be best for my purpose.

Iam open to any suggestions about which ram mount arm or any other way that maybe better to mount the PS32.
I have a Scout TK with no tripod hole.  Any ideas how I might create a head mount like you did?