Chinese battery vs Original

May 29th, 2013, 10:02 am #1

Hi,

I am going on trip and I whant to buy additional batteries for my GoPro Hero 2. I see that I can buy chinese batteries for 4-5 punds or original for 20 pounds, so a logical questions arises - Are these chinese batteries okay ? Is anyone using them ? :?:

Thank you

suryaprihadi
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
suryaprihadi
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

May 29th, 2013, 10:48 am #2

Wasabi brand is OK. Japan cell, not chinese cell.
I am a Forum Sponsor not because I sell stuff.
I owe my knowledge to this forum and I would like to do some payback.

July 4th, 2013, 4:53 pm #3

Beware the Wasabi batteries. I bought 4 of them, all 4 of them have bulging cases now and 3 of the 4 have swelled up so much that the battery cover doesn't fit tightly and allows dust into the camera. One of them bulges so badly that the cover won't go on (nor will the LCD backpac even if I wanted to use it with th eloose cover) so it's useless. Also the battery life has fallen off dramatically on the Wasabi. When I got them they were excellent, always over 2 hours of recording. Now one of them will barely record a half hour of video - although it seems random. When I try to use it outdoors on the bike in the heat (80F+) it sometimes dies after only 10-15 minutes of recording. Under perfect conditions in my office (73F) that same battery can record an almost exactly 1 hour of video.

I'm about to buy 4 *more* batteries and thought I'd stop by the forums to see if anyone has recommendations for something other than the Wasabi. I'll probably just have to bite the bullet and buy the GoPro branded ones since the original battery I have is still working fine.

suryaprihadi
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
suryaprihadi
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

July 4th, 2013, 6:18 pm #4

I have more than 12 wasabi for HD2 and 10 for HD3 .
So far so good. Claim it to Wasabi, it could be bad batch.
I am a Forum Sponsor not because I sell stuff.
I owe my knowledge to this forum and I would like to do some payback.

August 15th, 2013, 6:05 pm #5

Have been using both GoPro and Wasabi batteries for 18 months and daily for 9 of those months (driving camera). One of my Wasabi's is starting to swell which tells me that it will be needing replacement soon. The two GoPro batteries and my other Wasabi are like new still. Otherwise not much difference between them, Im happy with both sets and will replace dying the Wasabi with another Wasabi when it finally stops working.

Hobby Mounts
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Hobby Mounts
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

August 15th, 2013, 6:27 pm #6

dphaynes wrote:Beware the Wasabi batteries. I bought 4 of them, all 4 of them have bulging cases now and 3 of the 4 have swelled up so much that the battery cover doesn't fit tightly and allows dust into the camera. One of them bulges so badly that the cover won't go on (nor will the LCD backpac even if I wanted to use it with th eloose cover) so it's useless. Also the battery life has fallen off dramatically on the Wasabi. When I got them they were excellent, always over 2 hours of recording. Now one of them will barely record a half hour of video - although it seems random. When I try to use it outdoors on the bike in the heat (80F+) it sometimes dies after only 10-15 minutes of recording. Under perfect conditions in my office (73F) that same battery can record an almost exactly 1 hour of video.

I'm about to buy 4 *more* batteries and thought I'd stop by the forums to see if anyone has recommendations for something other than the Wasabi. I'll probably just have to bite the bullet and buy the GoPro branded ones since the original battery I have is still working fine.
Out of curiousity where did you buy your Wasabi branded batteries? We are on the verge on importing these in from the manufacturer and have always thought of them as good quality replacements.
The UK's largest selection of GoPro Cameras, Accessories & Mounts. We are also Official DJI Innovations dealers.

http://www.hobbymounts.co.uk

Rambo
Site Admin
Rambo
Site Admin

August 15th, 2013, 6:59 pm #7

dphaynes wrote:Beware the Wasabi batteries. I bought 4 of them, all 4 of them have bulging cases now and 3 of the 4 have swelled up so much that the battery cover doesn't fit tightly and allows dust into the camera. One of them bulges so badly that the cover won't go on (nor will the LCD backpac even if I wanted to use it with th eloose cover) so it's useless. Also the battery life has fallen off dramatically on the Wasabi. When I got them they were excellent, always over 2 hours of recording. Now one of them will barely record a half hour of video - although it seems random. When I try to use it outdoors on the bike in the heat (80F+) it sometimes dies after only 10-15 minutes of recording. Under perfect conditions in my office (73F) that same battery can record an almost exactly 1 hour of video.

Since this was a one off first post and no follow up, I would not put too much weight on this so called " warning". He gives no photo evidence, nothing about how he charges them, stores them or how often they get used. The vast majority of people on this forum using Wasabi branded batteries have not reported any issues and actually recommend them.

Why batteries swell

“I’ve seen lithium-ion batteries that are so swollen you’d be tempted to prick them with a pin,” says Don Sadoway, a professor of Materials Chemistry at MIT who is an expert in advanced battery technologies. The problem has to do with the chemistry of lithium ion batteries, which reacts unfavorably to overcharging. “There are strict limits on how much current can be put through a lithium-ion cell,” explains Sadoway. “During normal charging, you never see metallic lithium, which is inherently unstable. But during overcharging, the lithium builds up faster than it can dissipate. The result is that metallic lithium plates up on the anode. At the same time, the cathode becomes an oxidizing agent and loses stability.” The big danger, says Sadoway, is that this chemical reaction is accompanied by heat and– as every engineer knows — warm gas occupies more space, which is what causes the battery to swell. The bulging battery is now, in essence, a ticking time bomb. As a safeguard, today’s battery engineers normally design in internal charging circuits, using charger ICs and vendor-supplied reference designs. Rather than controlling the charging directly, these internal battery pack circuits prevent an overcharge. And if they detect a limit, they shut down the battery. Design of these circuits can be tricky, as consumers can accidentally connect the wrong power adaptor to a device.

August 15th, 2013, 7:11 pm #8

I do use Wasabi and never had problems.

Gor for it!

August 19th, 2013, 2:17 pm #9

I've also run the Chinese Li-Ion battery packs off of eBay and they've run strong for the past year.

Where do you think the AHDBT-001 batteries are made?

July 27th, 2018, 6:02 pm #10

I have a Hero2 I use as a dashcam. Its original GoPro battery has swollen, just a bit. It still fits into the camera and works, but I had to tape on the back cover.

Now, it's a bit unreliable, as the heat in the car has allowed the tape to loosen a bit, so sometimes the camera shuts off when the battery loses the contacts inside.

The battery cover is hard, not soft & the bulges actually feel like small rectangles under the paper or plastic GoPro label. I'm going to remove the label and see if it helps the battery to fit better.

The battery still holds a charge & works fine. I'll repeat, it's an original GoPro battery, so those thinking the extra dough for the label is worth it, I disagree.

BTW it is also made in China.  I think the whole camera is.

Edit: I cleaned up the stickiness from the previous taping, removed the battery label and the rubber strip inside the back of the camera battery cover. It fits "less badly" now, but still needs tape to keep the cover on. The shell & bracket I use to mount the GoPro onto the inside of the windshield seems now to keep it together better.

I'll order a new battery, but the back cover is so flimsy, I doubt it'll make a difference.

I don't want the newer (expensive) GoPros. This one takes a standard SD card, of which I have a bunch. I don't want to have to buy the Micro SDs.

The SD card spring-mount of the GoPro caused me trouble at first, but now, I've learned a technique with my left thumbnail that seems to get it in & out every time. That's how I get the files off this one. I have a Hero1 that I hook to my Linux Mac to upload files. I see the warning here not to do that, but I've done it for so many years now that... why stop now?