Can't resolve the write protected issue on my micro SD

7:49 AM - Oct 07, 2018 #1

I have tried everything I have read on the Go Pro site and not sure where to go now?
I went through and did the reset of my name & password and it won't let me drag the update files into my Micro SD
Lock is off on the card and I have tried formatting the SD Card
I would appreciate some suggestions as I can't use the Go Pro app when travelling which is frustrating
Thanks
Grahame

8:00 AM - Oct 07, 2018 #2

PS I can drag picture and video on and off the card when in my computer??

10:15 AM - Oct 07, 2018 #3

Are you trying to put a firmware update file on the card?
If yes,are you downloading the file from the GoPro site to your computer first?

6:59 AM - Oct 08, 2018 #4

Yes I have downloaded the files and extracted as per instructions
Then I try to drag the files onto the Micro SD card as instructed and it blocks it by saying the card is write protected

9:17 AM - Oct 08, 2018 #5

I have not encountered the write protected issue before but I have heard of a couple of things that could be causing it.

There is a simple fix if you are using a full size SD adapter.If you're using one of those you may see the 'LOCK' switch on the side,make sure that is in the unlocked position.Sometimes people think this locks the card into the adapter but it is to write protect the card.

On a windows computer there could be a registry setting causing the problem.Try following the instructions below.
  1. In Start menu search for “REGEDIT” and open the >Registry Editor<   (win 10 use cortana)
  2. Navigate to the following key:
    “Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies”
  3. On the right-hand pane of the REGEDIT, you’ll find Write protection, double-click on it and change its value between 1 to 10 and close the REGEDIT
  4. Restart your PC and plug in your SD card and you should have full access to the card.
Do a search for "Remove Write Protection On Micro SD".There are some other methods described in various blogs and articles that may be helpful.

If those don't work try the basics.
Do a FULL FORMAT instead of quick format.
Take a photo before loading the update folder onto the sd card.
If you have one,use a USB micro SD reader instead of a full size SD adapter.
Don't use the camera over USB as a card reader.
Try a different SD card.