Battery chargers

GoPro Hero 5 Black and Session

Battery chargers

May 15th, 2018, 1:08 pm #1

Complete newbie here, recently purchased a hero 5black from GoPro refurbished eBay site, I have a slight issue, that the battery won't charge past 30%, even after 12 hrs on charge, I've received a second battery, alas no joy, so it seems the fault lies with the cameras charging system.
While I wait for the reply for a replacement, I read somewhere that a similar fault has plagued others, and charging on a stand alone charger may result in a full charge, so, at long last, the question is, will any GoPro, or after market charger wor, or does it have to be specific for a hero 5 black?

May 15th, 2018, 8:47 pm #2

Because the batteries shape and connections have changed for each model you will have to get a charger that is specific to the HERO 5.

June 6th, 2018, 9:17 am #3

Just to clarify, there are external chargers for Hero5 Black, either official gopro dual charger, or you can get aftermarket versions on ebay very cheaply, they should all work as long as they state Hero5/Hero6 in description, the batteries are single cell lipo so charge to a fixed voltage (4.1v ?), the only difference between versions has been the shape/contacts.

Having said that if I'd bought a refurb Hero5 and it didn't work perfectly I'd be returning it anyway, as if the charging doesn't work it may well play up more over time, also from time to time you might want to charge in camera, so not having that working would be annoying.

Also means you can't sell it on easily when you want to update or don't use it !

June 6th, 2018, 9:26 am #4

Thanks for the advice, sent the refurbished one back, got a new one for just a few pounds more, 

June 6th, 2018, 9:32 am #5

Glad you got it sorted, Sorry just realised this was a few weeks old, I just saw it on the summary email ;)

Generally I buy aftermarket gopro stuff on ebay and never have problems, but Hero5 I got when it was fairly new so had to pay £45 for the official Gopro dual Hero5 charger and extra battery, and then found that battery didn't charge properly (my original battery was fine), gopro support were useless and after back and forth for months, I finally got it escalated to senior manager who sent a new battery out next day from holland to UK, which has been fine.

Hero3 I always used aftermarket batteries and chargers and they were really good, mounts etc I would never pay the gopro prices, as the chinese versions are very similar for a fraction of the price, which for mounts I don't use that much is fine for me.