The Classic Game Journeys

Discuss anything classing gaming!

The Classic Game Journeys

Matt
Gold member
Matt
Gold member

07 Nov 2016, 03:47 #1

Typically, I would say talk about your journey through the greats that went until 1995, the last days of 16 bit, but GBA got caught between two centuries of old school and new school, so I include the life of that handheld as well. Post your experiences and insights of any game to the final GBA title.

I figured for you Malakai, this would be easier than making lots of threads on every game you find and play. This topic will stick which means no disappearing after two months.

Fire at will...
I can be found at these places online:
Github-https://github.com/mbgraham
LinkedIn-https://www.linkedin.com/in/matthew-b-graham
Unity username: mbgraham
Game Gavel, NintendoAge, and NESdev.com forum username- retrofan84
Digital Press and Minds usernames- mbgraham

Malakai
Gold member
Malakai
Gold member

09 Nov 2016, 00:17 #2

I didn't play any handheld prior to the DS. I've had a few gameboys, gba, and wonderswan before the DS but didn't play them much. The PSP, for some reason, I didn't ever play much. The castlevania games on the DS definitely remind me of both the 8-bit and 16-bit era castlevania games though.

Lately, I've been trying to figure out what I wanted to try next, and it could very well be another Japanese 16-bit title.

I haven't really been around too much lately, as I've had a flu and have been busy with a lot of stuff, but gaming has definitely been on my mind.
Movies: 125 HD-DVDS, 213 BLU-RAYS, 288 3-D BLU-RAYS, 7 UHD, 286 DVDs, 599 VHS, 28 VCDs, 5 PSP Movies, 176 Laserdiscs, 10 FS 3D DVDs

18 3DO, 198 Atari 2600, 34 Atari 7800, 19 Amiga, 6 C64, 10 CD-I, 15 Colecovision, 20 Dreamcast, 56 Duo/PC Engine, 54 GB/GBA/DS, 31 Gamecube, 5 GameGear, 105 Genesis/32x, 28 Intellivision, 41 SMS, 22 N64, 132 NES/Famicom, 44 PS1, 105 PS2, 27 PS3, 25 PSP, 121 Sega/Mega CD, 46 Saturn, 42 SNES, 7 ti-99/4a, 34 Wii, 2 Wonderswan, 110 XBOX, 37 XBOX 360

Malakai
Gold member
Malakai
Gold member

11 Nov 2016, 16:56 #3

To me, it's a hard decision, to try to find something new to play. I'll be honest though; I've been trying to force myself to play Burai, on the Mega CD system. The combat and exploration seem OK, but the way the towns work, the characters, shops, talking, all of this is so obsolete, even for the time period this came out. It could easily have been an 8-bit NES game, if not something like a Commodore 64 game..

I can deal with the obsolete graphics. That's not really the problem. I'm sort of used to going to weapon shops in a lot of games and having a comparison shot or AT LEAST knowing the stats of those items before buying them. Do all of the weapons and armor work with each character in the game? I don't really like the idea of having to buy a weapon or piece of armor first, before knowing the stats, trying it out, and then having to reset/reload the game each time, until I get what my characters need. This certainly isn't the only game that does that, but when all of the negative factors are considered, it's hard to justify getting into it.

Just about the only reason I see to keep playing Burai, is to try to do a starter guide, some type of menu translations, screenshots, etc, because there are no walkthroughs out there that I can find. I suppose there are many other games that I could try to tackle on the Sega/Mega CD system, including A-Rank Thunder, Illusion City, Daihoushinden, Fhey Area, Arcus 1-2-3, Alshark, Dungeon Master II, Eye of the Beholder, Heroic Legend of Arslan, Popful Mail, Shin Megami Tensei, or Silky Lip, all in the same genre, but I set aside two games recently, Burai and 3X3 Eyes.

I keep wanting to go back, to check out ARCUS 1-2-3, but one of the things that stop me is knowing that, like Ys book 1 and 2 AND like Cosmic Fantasy Stories, this is a compilation of games that have to be played in order, with reportedly as much as 120 hours of gameplay, to complete all three of them.

So, yeah, right now, I'm messing around with Burai, and if it doesn't pan out, I have 3X3 Eyes ready...
Movies: 125 HD-DVDS, 213 BLU-RAYS, 288 3-D BLU-RAYS, 7 UHD, 286 DVDs, 599 VHS, 28 VCDs, 5 PSP Movies, 176 Laserdiscs, 10 FS 3D DVDs

18 3DO, 198 Atari 2600, 34 Atari 7800, 19 Amiga, 6 C64, 10 CD-I, 15 Colecovision, 20 Dreamcast, 56 Duo/PC Engine, 54 GB/GBA/DS, 31 Gamecube, 5 GameGear, 105 Genesis/32x, 28 Intellivision, 41 SMS, 22 N64, 132 NES/Famicom, 44 PS1, 105 PS2, 27 PS3, 25 PSP, 121 Sega/Mega CD, 46 Saturn, 42 SNES, 7 ti-99/4a, 34 Wii, 2 Wonderswan, 110 XBOX, 37 XBOX 360

Malakai
Gold member
Malakai
Gold member

13 Nov 2016, 19:55 #4

So, I'll just go on to say that am playing Burai at night. It took awhile to figure out the saving and loading system, and I ended up wondering why I kept losing levels over and over again until I figured it out. It was one of those things where I wasn't invested enough in the game to actually do any translations and was just playing it by ear, I guess you could say.

So, my opinion about this game is a little more positive than the first impressions. So far, the Japanese language barrier hasn't done much to sway me, and I've already went into the first dungeon, defeated the first boss, lost a companion, regained that companion, and now, I'm playing with a different character, in another area.

In this game, I believe that you eventually get to battle with either a seven or eight member party, and there are up to eight different enemies on screen at once as well. However, it doesn't look like it's as simple as just running into a new party member. It looks like you may have to play the game as those different party members, maybe until they make their way in to your main party. So, that's sort of different, as compared to most RPGs.

For the most part, I've had very little need to go into healers in town, because healing potions drop pretty frequently. It's probably more about replenishing your MP, to cast spells, than to just heal. This second character/quest I'm currently playing, he has a mass freeze or sleep spell that is really useful, because getting one turn as a low-level character, with 5-8 other enemies on screen can be deadly.

Malakai
Gold member
Malakai
Gold member

15 Nov 2016, 23:05 #5

A few shots from my adventures in Burai, for the Mega CD

PIC - First Boss
PIC - Travel screen, second party
Pic - Battle Screen
PIC - Second Boss, wrestler. from third party
PIC - Third Boss, also from third party
PIC - Fourth Party, still image from cutscene
PIC - Menu Screen

So, I now have my fourth party, which has three adventurers from the start, including a very weak girl named Kuku. With each new party/adventure, the game does get a bit more challenging, and when they add a character, like Kuku, to the mix, you're constantly having to defend, heal, and babysit that character, and all magic and healing potions you get are now split between all three of your party members, with a very limited amount of item space in the game, just two rows of 8.

Also, because of how weak Kuku is, I had to save up money for her shield and armor first, somewhere along the lines of 900 to 1000 dollars per item, which does take a little while to get up. None of the three characters have a weapon, and they would do so much more damage with a weapon. This is only something that I can just now start saving for, for all three party members. So, I'll need to save somewhere around 5000-6000 more dollars, to make venture on, into the cave/dungeon and find and fight the next boss.

In this sense, having more party members doesn't make it easier or faster, and by the time I do get to the point where all of these characters meet up, I can only imagine that it will be that much more difficult, to split up two items between each and every party member.

Getting up to this point, I also had to go through a heck of a maze system, where you use teleportal crystals. Luckily, there were no enemies in these dungeons, but if the mazes got any more difficult, that would almost make me want to quit. I think I got lucky to get through it.

Matt
Gold member
Matt
Gold member

16 Nov 2016, 04:52 #6

Looks like you've been finding out firsthand Japan's tendency to dumb down their rpgs before shipping them across the Pacific to the States. We gamers underestimate just how tough their rpgs really are. We moan and groan about Etrian Odyssey's difficulty. How would you like to play an import with no English help, as you are now? I bet most gamers here would quit a real challenge as soon as they knew they had to "read symbols".

We are hardcore at GDG, no question!

Malakai
Gold member
Malakai
Gold member

18 Nov 2016, 05:02 #7

Geez, I think I'm on the 7th or 8th party/adventure in Burai so far. The current one is a reptilian-like creature that has a very strong attack. The previous one was a guy named Hayate, in a prison break. He had to help tons of prisoners escape, and the final boss on that adventure is sort of a clown/prison guard, the toughest boss so far. Most of the bosses haven't been hard at all, and many of them are kind of like faux bosses, where you may or may not fight them at all.. At least one of them kills one of your party members instantly. So far, I believe two of my party members have died, just from the plot of the game.

The party before this last one, I basically had to go around town, conducting some sort of investigation, from house to house, where Japanese language skills would have probably come in handy, because I thought I was not ever going to figure it out. I just luckily stumbled on an area where some type of bang went off, maybe like a shock, and that opened up the game once again, to progress.

Not too far back, I also hit a dungeon that had areas of the floor which would take damage to walk on, like spikes or lava or toxic sludge, akin to a few of the 8-bit RPGs, maybe like Dragon Warrior. Heck, even the old Doom FPS game had something like that in it!

Interestingly, each character can also choose certain skills to level up, like attack, defense, dexterity, magic, and something called 'examine surroundings' which may be a skill to find items or something. I'm not entirely sure. What's also interesting is that attack and defense aren't your actual attack power or defense power but rather sort of a stamina for those skills. So, you won't hit harder or take less damage, if I'm understanding this correctly. However, you'll probably go into sort of a weakened attack or defense state if the battle is too long and you don't have enough of those points. Magic is also magic points, in order to cast more spells, and at least one character comes with a spell that she can't even cast, not even with quite a bit of grinding. So, she needs to use the 'magic' skill, to be able to eventually cast all of her spells.

In the above pic, you can see the status bar of each character in your party. The three orbs represent various health stats, like hit points and attack, and the white progression bars and symbols represent the skills you have assigned to each character and how close they are to gaining another level.

Kuku is sort of an animal whisperer or snow white-esque figure, as seen in the above pic.

PIC - Lillian, one of the one-person adventurers
PIC - Hayate, the next adventurer
PIC - Hayate's final prison boss, a clown/nazi-esque guard
PIC - My current adventurer

Malakai
Gold member
Malakai
Gold member

19 Nov 2016, 05:33 #8

So, I did not expect to play this again until after midnight, but I finally got to a point where all eight characters come together, in the party!!! Just getting to this point felt like a half of an RPG, at least. I'm not sure how many more quests or bosses there will be, but if everything keeps going smoothly, this could be another game I'll be able to put on my finished list.. Pics coming tomorrow maybe.. Too tired to upload them right now..

Matt
Gold member
Matt
Gold member

19 Nov 2016, 06:11 #9

I just want to post a kudos to you for the grit you demonstrate playing these tough imports through. Most people don't get through these titles in English. Yet you run to the finish line guessing and trying everything out nearly every time and seeing the Japanese endings.

A toast to the hardcorest of hardcore, the Eclectic Gamer!

To victory!

Malakai
Gold member
Malakai
Gold member

19 Nov 2016, 18:27 #10

Matt @ Nov 19 2016, 01:11 AM wrote:I just want to post a kudos to you for the grit you demonstrate playing these tough imports through. Most people don't get through these titles in English. Yet you run to the finish line guessing and trying everything out nearly every time and seeing the Japanese endings.

A toast to the hardcorest of hardcore, the Eclectic Gamer!

To victory!
Thanks. Not everything has gone as smoothly as this one has so far. Look how many years it took me to complete the first Cosmic Fantasy, but the biggest issue with that game is that I should have had a save file before progressing to a spot where there were no shops, to stock up on potions, because if I would have had probably just two more healing potions in my possession at the time, I probably could have went through the castle that gave me so many problems, to find the extra healing potions there, instead of leveling up almost to the max the game could allow, which sort of messed up the other characters' ability to level up well, after I regrouped with my party, because the game would freeze when you hit over the allowed experience points.

I would call cosmic fantasy bugged, in that regard. I'm also pretty convinced that After Armageddon Gaiden is bugged, to cause the problems I've had with it too. Else, it would have probably been beaten the first attempt.

The party finally comes together!

PIC - Kuku has a mini quest, she must do on her own - boss battle
Pic - Another boss, 1 of 2
PIC - Another boss, 2 of 2
PIC - Yet another boss, 1 of 2
PIC - Yet another boss 2 of 2

So, as you can see, some of the bosses are now coming together, from parts, or splitting up INTO parts...

That's probably about all I'm going to play today, although I may come back tonight, but we're celebrating thanksgiving early, because of out of state family coming in. So, ya never know.

This new map/area is huge compared to all of the others, and it looks like my various quests are about opening up a castle, maybe some area in the sky, and possibly a cave or some type of opening in a rock. Each time you complete some type of task or defeat a boss, it allows you to do something else, or access areas you may not have had access to before.

One thing that changed when all of the members came together is that enemies hardly ever, if at all, drop any healing potions. I thought this was going to be a big problem, because up until this point, it was hard to justify buying healing potions. They are expensive. In the new area, enough enemies drop shields, armor, and weapons, some that sell for a pretty good chunk of gold, and you can take that gold and buy enough potions to fill up your inventory (16, I think)... If your characters aren't quite good enough to wait it out, you'll just have to go into towns and pay for healing, which is about 20 gold per healing, but it sometimes takes 3 heals, to get a character with low HP healed up.

So, equipping all eight characters isn't something you'll be able to do from the start. So far, I've seen a single weapon sell for as much as 48,000 gold, which is a lot. At this point, imagine spending anywhere from 8,000 gold to 48,000 gold, three times, for weapon, shield, and armor, for eight characters. If I said it'd cost about 500,000 to equip these characters, it's probably not too far off, unless you want crappy equipment. Then again, you do find some pretty good weapons and armor fighting certain enemies, and a few boss battles, you actually get a good weapon or armor.

Equipping items after you get your party is also different, because certain weapon and armor types are better or worse for certain characters. You unfortunately can't check the stats while buying these things. You have to save your game first, go to the shops, and buy them, then check the stats with each character. One shield may give you 1 defense for a character, for example, and 60 defense for another one. One weapon may give you 24 offensive power for one character, while another character or group of characters, it gives you 96 offensive power.

When I upgrade my weapons and armor, I usually also look at how the old weapons and armor work on my other characters. Hand me downs are a good way to save money, if they upgrade another character's equipment.

Malakai
Gold member
Malakai
Gold member

21 Nov 2016, 04:03 #11

Well, I beat Burai tonight.. Let's talk about some final words about the game. The game changes up things quite a bit. Like I said, you conduct some sort of town investigation, and then, you are in a mansion where a weeding is suppose to take place, going searching for these random enemies that ping-pong back and forth, before taking on a boss or two and saving the wedding. One of the dungeons splits the party up and makes each individual member go through an area where they can't touch the walls, or they're shot back down the dungeon a few feet, over and over again, before bringing together a four party group, to finish out the dungeon, before, all eight members are together again.

One of the latter dungeons also has a stairway where you actually have to reverse it, in order to get out of a room, instead of taking the opposing stairway, which would seem like the way out. When stuff like that starts to happen and you find yourself trapped, you start looking for false walls, and actually, there is a false wall. However, it doesn't go anywhere, but it allows you to fight sort of a random mini boss, basically where you fight one or two groups of enemies, and then, this mini boss like figure comes out, to fight. It seems to allow you to fight it as many times as you'd like to too.

So, when I was talking about this game the other, about it feeling like half a RPG, just to get the 8-party team together, I am now going to say that was a close assessment. You probably go through 60% of the game before your team comes together.

PIC - The Final Boss

The final boss definitely had one of the strongest attacks, but even if I lost my three weakest characters, he'd still probably be pretty easy to take out. I didn't lose a single character in the battle though.

So, bosses, or what you think are/could be/should be bosses.... There seem to be a lot of evil characters, demons, gods, or something that show up, yet you don't get to fight them. In some cases, they actually show up in your battle screen, and after some chatting, disappear. There is a sequel, on the PC Engine. So, maybe you get to fight a few of them on it.

In my opinion, the game is a bit short. It's not like a zelda game, where if you know all of the secrets, you should be able to rush through it. It's an old-skool RPG, from the 8-bit era, and interestingly, it's actually Sega that ported this (or reprogrammed it, according to the game's text) to the Mega CD. This game absolutely should have come out in North America. It's just unique enough to have made it stand out.

Youtube Video - Burai final boss battle, ending, credits

The above video was the second time I fought the final boss. As you can see, one of my characters got a lucky blow, for over 65,000 hit points, and took him out pretty fast.

Matt
Gold member
Matt
Gold member

21 Nov 2016, 10:51 #12

Very good. Perhaps if you further leveraged social media and youtube you could win a great hardcore following. Who knows, maybe something special will open up.

Atlus does something similar. They know their games will only appeal to the hardcore fanbase. But they also know if they keep producing great titles, the fanbase grows and more people show up to the party.

You just might inspire a classic rpg resurgence, sega cd as it should have been.

Hang on to this, man, you just may be on to something big.

Malakai
Gold member
Malakai
Gold member

23 Nov 2016, 18:49 #13

Well, I started another game a few days ago, Burai II, for the PC Engine. I believe that the creators of Burai had to have known that they were going to do a sequel, because many of the would-be bosses, ones you never got to fight in Burai, were actually in the game, yet in Burai II, I believe you get to fight all of them.

So, what are the differences with Burai II and the first one? You walk a lot faster, and so far, there are a lot less random battles, when in areas that aren't dungeon or caves. The battle system is a lot more slow-paced, which is a turn off to me, but each battle is a bit more difficult, because you really have to stop and think about what you're going to do, to defeat a large hoard of enemies. In the first game, 90% of the battles, you just did melee combat, even if you had what was suppose to be a primary spellcaster. This is because your melee attacks eventually do more damage than your spells. Also, multi-attack spells in the first game, you could only use one time per battle, whereas in part II, you can use multiple times.

Several of the original party members are in part II, like Alec, Kuku, Sakyo, Hayate, and probably more, but I just started playing it and don't have a full party yet. In the first one, only Alec had a good multi-attack spell, but now, so does Kuku.

So, the combat menu is also different. Your characters are like cards or something now. Now, armor and shield shops are separate buildings, where in the first, they were both together. Now, the equipment shops also have a thing that tells you which weapon or armor better suits each character, although they don't say the stats of the weapon or armor. It's better than how they did it in the first game, but if you've found a piece of armor out in the field and didn't know whether or not one was better than the other, you'd probably still have to save your game, buy the armor or weapon, equip it, and then check out the stats, before seeing if you should reload the game. Also, they've introduced rings to this game, with each one giving some type of stat boost or something like that.

So, the first section/dungeon of the game is pretty lengthy, at about an hour and 10-20 minutes, with several boss fights and mini bosses. The very top pic is the final boss in the first dungeon.

The above mini boss, you have to fight several times, and he's no pushover.

When they made Burai, I believe they realized their mistake, to not have to use spells throughout most of the game. In this one, because of the challenges of the battles, you're going to cast heal spells, cure poison spells, steal MP spells, and very possibly, attack spells, although it's too early to tell how effective attack spells will be later on in the game. In other words, they're making you use your spellcasters in this sequel and giving them a reason to exist.

The pacing of the game, especially the grinding, may be a bit of a turnoff. We'll see how it goes, in the long run. I'm about 4 hours into the game and can't even get through the second dungeon yet, because of the challenges. Maybe after every character has upgraded equipment and gets a full load of MP and HP potions and a few levels..

Malakai
Gold member
Malakai
Gold member

25 Nov 2016, 04:57 #14

Second Chapter, fighting in a cave/dungeon

So wow... This second chapter was a bit of a beast. Several hours of grinding, but that wasn't what really made it sort of difficult. The difficulty was the task you have to do, as someone that doesn't read much Japanese. There is a library with seven books, and you can only take out one at a time, and you have to take at least one book, the right book, if not all seven of them, to an old man about halfway through the dungeon, until he does something that allows you to break through the boulders that is blocking your progress.

Once you finally get through to the areas where you need to, an old man takes Kuku aside and gives her some (apparently bad) news, and Alec and Kuku end up getting on a boat, BUT the old man transforms into one of the bad guys, after your characters leave... No, you don't get to fight him yet...

Then, the third chapter starts, with the two original characters from Burai: Gossoza and Maimai.

Once you speak to a few people in various towns, you'll have another boss fight

After you step out of town after the boss fight, you apparently join a traveling circus

Then, four more circus kids join your party

ソフイー/Softy, I believe - I mistakenly called him hayate

Then, progress is stalled, because the next enemies can kick the living sh!t out of you, and you realize you need hours of level grinding and better equipment.

I'll say it again.. the pacing is slow slow slow... The backgrounds in combat are definitely more colorful and better decorated than in the first game. So, for a 16-bit RPG, it's actually fairly good eye candy.

Matt
Gold member
Matt
Gold member

26 Nov 2016, 16:50 #15

Another note- let's allow 24 hours after finishing games for another member to post their experiences. If after that no one posts, feel free to discuss the next classic. In this case after Burai, if I add nothing after 24 hours on the dot, you may add another classic game of your choice.

In return, the replies only pertain to the game being discussed and I will wait for the journey of the game to finish as well.

Let's try to maintain one journey at a time, everyone included. No mixing games and discombobulated threads. I play by the same rules as well.