Now that the XBOX One X is near

All the latest topics and news on the current generation of gaming!

Now that the XBOX One X is near

Malakai
Gold member

26 Oct 2017, 16:12 #1

They're calling it 'TRUE 4K' gaming - I keep seeing this advertised more and more by the day, all over, that it's coming, preview videos/advertisements, pre-order information, etc... Most people here probably don't care about either consoles, but just for conversation purposes, it would be interested to see if Microsoft can change the tide of this generation of console wars.

While we are lead to believe, with this current generation of gaming, that all companies have to do is keep upgrading their consoles, to support higher resolutions and more horsepower, my problem with that theory is that eventually, companies will want to stop working on two or three (or six) versions of each game, just to make sure they have a low res version optimized, a medium resolution version optimized, and high res version, also optimized, not to mention potentially bug fixing 3-6 versions of each game, on each system.

We obviously don't know if 4k will be obsolete in the next 4-6 years and whether or not there will be 8k or 16k in the near future. I would say, based on the way things are going, 8k and 16k will come eventually, however.

Also based on what we see in both the PC and console gaming worlds, just because a console can technically display at a certain resolution, it doesn't mean its capable of rendering that same resolution for games X, Y, or Z. A lot of the past couple of generation of games, from consoles that supported 1080, rendered at like 480, 720 and 900. I would not be surprised if some PS4 games render at 900p.
Movies: 125 HD-DVDS, 213 BLU-RAYS, 288 3-D BLU-RAYS, 7 UHD, 286 DVDs, 599 VHS, 28 VCDs, 5 PSP Movies, 176 Laserdiscs, 10 FS 3D DVDs

18 3DO, 198 Atari 2600, 34 Atari 7800, 19 Amiga, 6 C64, 10 CD-I, 15 Colecovision, 20 Dreamcast, 56 Duo/PC Engine, 54 GB/GBA/DS, 31 Gamecube, 5 GameGear, 105 Genesis/32x, 28 Intellivision, 41 SMS, 22 N64, 132 NES/Famicom, 44 PS1, 105 PS2, 27 PS3, 25 PSP, 121 Sega/Mega CD, 46 Saturn, 42 SNES, 7 ti-99/4a, 34 Wii, 2 Wonderswan, 110 XBOX, 37 XBOX 360

Matt
Gold member

26 Oct 2017, 21:27 #2

To me, this issue begs the question,

"How 'sophisticated' does a fun game really need to be?"

If Nintendo Switch is indeed failing like Wii U (haven't checked the sales numbers), it's because mobile devices and new forms of the internet that will replace apps (blockchain) have rendered Switch about 10 years too late to market.

When it comes to making good games, the mainstream games industry is way too hell bent on breaking the sound barrier. This has created a very spoiled and greedy new fan base of gamers who weren't even born to see the launch of PlayStation 2!

They want every title ever released to be Squaresoft caliber or it's "garbage". Hey kid, go upstairs and live life!

At one time, it was about nicer looking and more powerful, but they've taken the whole thing to pure lunacy like I've never witnessed in my life. Why do kids demand power and graphics over the fun factor? I can't begin to count the turds that look and sound phenomenal. They're the first things you hear about when you walk into any GameStop and hear the TV ads over the loudspeakers.

Indie titles on my Kindle are more fun, but they don't need to look like God of War...
I can be found at these places online:
Github-https://github.com/mbgraham
LinkedIn-https://www.linkedin.com/in/matthew-b-graham
Unity username: mbgraham
Game Gavel, NintendoAge, and NESdev.com forum username- retrofan84
Digital Press and Minds usernames- mbgraham

Malakai
Gold member

31 Oct 2017, 14:39 #3

XBOX One now has SOME original XBOX titles available. Why I didn't call it BC was because that, even though you use your original XBOX discs in the system, it's only to verify that you have a physical copy of these games, and then, the 'fixed' versions are downloaded through XBOX Live. Basically, each game has its own 'xbox one' version/build, with an emulator built in, everything optimized for it, etc... No DLC or XBOX Live content works as of yet, possibly never.

If I'm hearing things correctly, these first few titles also have higher rendering resolutions, depending on which XBOX One (original, S, X) console they are being played on, even if the games only ran at like 480i/p/720p/1080i originally. So, does that mean the X console will run them at 4k?

Unfortunately, very few games are supported so far:

Black
BloodRayne 2
Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge
Dead to Rights
Fuzion Frenzy
Grabbed by the Ghoulies
The King of Fighters Neowave
Ninja Gaiden Black
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Psychonauts
Red Faction II
Sid Meier's Pirates
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

I think the next update will be in spring of 2018.

This move wasn't just to make owners of the old games happy. These games are also being re-sold on XBOX Live, for download. This actually oneups Sony, because they don't allow you to put in your old PS1/PS2/PS3 discs and download a copy of the games you own; you actually have to rebuy them on playstation network, even if you own them as a physical copy already.

Yes, MS seems to be trying to at least level out the playing field, even if they potentially have little chance to beat Sony. I definitely want to see Outlaw Volleyball get on to this list and play it rendered in a higher resolution.
Movies: 125 HD-DVDS, 213 BLU-RAYS, 288 3-D BLU-RAYS, 7 UHD, 286 DVDs, 599 VHS, 28 VCDs, 5 PSP Movies, 176 Laserdiscs, 10 FS 3D DVDs

18 3DO, 198 Atari 2600, 34 Atari 7800, 19 Amiga, 6 C64, 10 CD-I, 15 Colecovision, 20 Dreamcast, 56 Duo/PC Engine, 54 GB/GBA/DS, 31 Gamecube, 5 GameGear, 105 Genesis/32x, 28 Intellivision, 41 SMS, 22 N64, 132 NES/Famicom, 44 PS1, 105 PS2, 27 PS3, 25 PSP, 121 Sega/Mega CD, 46 Saturn, 42 SNES, 7 ti-99/4a, 34 Wii, 2 Wonderswan, 110 XBOX, 37 XBOX 360

Malakai
Gold member

14 Nov 2017, 14:38 #4

The biggest issue with the XBOX ONE X is that there is a lack of support for games that take advantage of the power. For the ones that do, they say the difference is night and day. For example, Gears of War 4 is suppose to look like an entirely different game. Also, the load times on some (or all?) games have significantly improved, sometimes up to about 45%, according to one youtuber that I watch.

Unfortunately, $500 is a lot to pay for a console that only really has about 5 games that take advantage of its power so far, especially when you're going to be able to find XBOX ONE S systems/bundles for less than $200 on Black Friday.

It took MS a really long time to get the bitstreaming patch out for the blu-ray player on the XBOX ONE (and S) and I've read a few headlines about the X's blu-ray/uhd player sucking as well. This is likely just a firmware issue, but seeing how long they've taken with previous firmware updates, which (still?) aren't nowhere near perfect, I don't think I could ever recommend either models (S or X) as a UHD player. Unless they've updated firmware within the last few months, there are certain UHD discs (Lionsgate) that I can't bitstream at all, even though other UHD discs, from other studios, all work with bitstreaming.

I guess the other issue with the X is the price. I predict that Sony's PS4 will win this generation of console wars.