My impressions of current gen console games

Malakai
Gold member
Malakai
Gold member

12:33 PM - Jul 22, 2017 #1

I was just going to put a topic up regarding Doom and Dragon Quest Heroes, but considering I have several games on order that I'll be trying out sooner or later, I figured it would be best just to put them all in one thread.

So, what are my first impressions of Doom, for the XBONE? So by now, you know I bought the XBONE S for black Friday. It came with a digital download of Battlefield 2 or something like that... I have used it a few times to play UHD discs and 3D Blu-ray discs that have an ATMOS track on them, since the PS3 doesn't do ATMOS + 3D, unless it's in DD+ I believe. TrueHD or anything like that, it won't do, because it never complied 100% to HDMI 1.4 standards. The PS3 is an HDMI 1.3 system that developers somehow figured out a way to cheat the standards of functionality by all but this one way. So, they should get kudos for that.

Anyway, I played the Battlefield game one time, for maybe 10 minutes, and that was it, until now.. So, imagine my surprise when I pop in Doom. Bam, there's a system update... about an hour later, Doom takes maybe an hour or more to install after that... So, maybe two hours later, Doom has an 'update' and it's only 58GB!!! And you can't play the game while it's updating, at least until it gets to a certain point. So, don't expect to come home and play a new game you just bought, not on the XBONE at least.

Once the download hit about 34GB of the 58, it allowed me to play the game. Doom isn't the newest game to come out, but man, let me tell you, it is an intense game. It almost seems like they want your initial thought of each stage to be that it's impossible, but when you start doing things a little differently, you get better, until you (hopefully) are able to get through each stage.

The soundtrack is amazing.. The surround channels are active with all kinds of directional stuff. This is how a game should be made, even if 7.1 sound, ATMOS, and DTS:X are generally going to cater to a fairly small crowd.

The close combat, which I forget what they call it, allows you to rip limbs off of them and have blood and stuff going everywhere. In that sense, this is an uber violent game, one that puts this sort of gore right in your face. When you do the melee combat, you actually get bonus HP recovery, but they can also do major damage fast when you're that close or have a lot of enemies around you.

I haven't played a whole lot of this game, but I think it takes what many people probably liked about Doom III and just made it better.

So, Dragon Quest Heroes for the PS4... So far, I've only gotten two games on the PS4 in so far, Uncharted, which came as a console bundle, and this one. Both games, you can almost instantly play when you put in the disc, which means it's installing the game while you play, allowing you to play the beginning.

Uncharted 4 requires a minimum of 50GB of space, while Dragon Quest Heroes requires 26GB. On a 500GB console, that doesn't give you a lot of room for many games to be installed, but if most, if not all, are like this, you should be able to delete the installed games from the hard drive without any issues at all. Hopefully you can keep your game saves, but I don't know.

Dragon Quest heroes is bright, colorful, and has good graphics. I would say that if Shining Force had action-based combat instead of turn-based, this is what it would be like. There is basically no adventure elements in it, no open worlds to explore.. You basically go into a battlefield, and when you're done, you are in a little merchant area, where you can buy and sell goods and save the game.

I have to say that the lack of exploration is an issue for me. The first four dragon warrior games had tons of exploration, dungeons, mazes, and they were pretty awesome. Dragon Warrior 2 introduced the party system, which also made it a bit more fun.

I don't know if this is a new introduction to the series, but in Heroes, you get these monster coins that can appear when you destroy a monster. With these, you can summon certain monsters you've defeated, to fight for you, or to like guard something that needs protecting. For example, there is a battle early on, basically still getting tutorials, where monsters are coming from two directions, to destroy a generator. Your party has to fight monsters from one direction, and you can summon a monster near the generator, to defend it from monsters that are coming from the other. Once the tutorial mode stuff is out of the way, I imagine that the game will put you in situations where you have to figure these little strategic things out yourself.

This game also has something called tension or high tension. Basically, as you battle, you build up an energy bar, and once it is full, you can press one of the buttons to go into this mode. It ups your attack, I think defense too, and it makes spells not use up MP. There is also a large attack you can do while in tension mode, but it takes you out of that mode immediately. I don't know where this was taken or inspired from, maybe some of the street fighter games, once they started evolving, because they also had some type of energy bar that build up, for special attacks.

The soundtrack is very basic in Heroes, and it sure doesn't have the awesome surround stuff like Doom does. It's going to generally be the same experience on a big surround system as it would be by listening to it on a stereo tv, I would imagine.

I'm still waiting on Fallout 4, for the XBONE, Dragon Quest Heroes 2, Toukiden: Kiwami, and Horizon Zero Dawn, for the PS4. Ys VIII won't be released til September. So, we have a wait for that. Also, I think Amazon said Horizon Zero Dawn may not be shipped for 1-4 weeks. We'll see..

Toukiden is suppose to be a Monster Hunter clone.. I honestly haven't gotten into the monster hunter games, but I do have the Wii version... I think it was sort of marketed as a Phantasy Star Online-esque game but with dinosaurs.. I may have to check it out again soon though..
Movies: 125 HD-DVDS, 213 BLU-RAYS, 288 3-D BLU-RAYS, 7 UHD, 286 DVDs, 599 VHS, 28 VCDs, 5 PSP Movies, 176 Laserdiscs, 10 FS 3D DVDs

18 3DO, 198 Atari 2600, 34 Atari 7800, 19 Amiga, 6 C64, 10 CD-I, 15 Colecovision, 20 Dreamcast, 56 Duo/PC Engine, 54 GB/GBA/DS, 31 Gamecube, 5 GameGear, 105 Genesis/32x, 28 Intellivision, 41 SMS, 22 N64, 132 NES/Famicom, 44 PS1, 105 PS2, 27 PS3, 25 PSP, 121 Sega/Mega CD, 46 Saturn, 42 SNES, 7 ti-99/4a, 34 Wii, 2 Wonderswan, 110 XBOX, 37 XBOX 360

Malakai
Gold member
Malakai
Gold member

12:12 PM - Jul 23, 2017 #2

Fallout 4 and Dragon Quest Heroes 2 came in yesterday, but I only got to play Fallout 4, very briefly. I can tell that it's a game that you have to spend a lot of time, to get familiar with, and there are a lot of crafting options, for a variety of stuff. You also get to have a dog as a traveling companion, and he can follow a few commands from you. You can choose a male or female character.

Basically, there are nuclear bombs set off around the world, RIGHT AFTER you are sold a place in a fallout shelter by a door to door salesman... In actuality, the 'decontamination' units are cryogenic chambers, and apparently you're part of some sort of bigger experiment. Your infant child gets stolen, and then you wake up apparently after everyone in the lab has gone or died.. Not sure what the story is from there..

I would say that this game is a lot like Fallout 3, from what I've seen of it. I loved Fallout 3 but not quite so much Fallout New Vegas. I think that you can download mods for it as well. As for expansion packs, there are a variety of expansion packs you can buy/download, and that's one reason I waited to get the game, because I assumed there would be like a GOTY edition or some other edition released, with all of the expansion packs. Maybe there still will be some full edition later on, but it'll probably be at a premium price.

This is probably a game that I should play more of when I actually get a rechargeable battery pack for the XBONE. Games like this will eat up batteries, I'm sure.

Based on my limited playing of this game, I'd say this is a game you don't want to buy, if you expect to just turn it on and fight your way through the world. You have to take time, to learn, to hunt objects, to craft, and all of that stuff...

Anyway, I ran into a group of raiders and got my butt kicked pretty quickly. I just marched in without any strategy.. There are stealth/sneak features and all you can do, to maybe take them out one by one, but this was my first play..
Movies: 125 HD-DVDS, 213 BLU-RAYS, 288 3-D BLU-RAYS, 7 UHD, 286 DVDs, 599 VHS, 28 VCDs, 5 PSP Movies, 176 Laserdiscs, 10 FS 3D DVDs

18 3DO, 198 Atari 2600, 34 Atari 7800, 19 Amiga, 6 C64, 10 CD-I, 15 Colecovision, 20 Dreamcast, 56 Duo/PC Engine, 54 GB/GBA/DS, 31 Gamecube, 5 GameGear, 105 Genesis/32x, 28 Intellivision, 41 SMS, 22 N64, 132 NES/Famicom, 44 PS1, 105 PS2, 27 PS3, 25 PSP, 121 Sega/Mega CD, 46 Saturn, 42 SNES, 7 ti-99/4a, 34 Wii, 2 Wonderswan, 110 XBOX, 37 XBOX 360

Malakai
Gold member
Malakai
Gold member

2:58 PM - Jul 29, 2017 #3

I'm surprised that I didn't post anything about Toukiden Kiwami or Dragon Quest Heroes 2... So, Toukiden is apparently a Monster Hunter clone... I tried to get into the Monster Hunter game on the Wii before, but I couldn't, and I played it for such a short period of time that I don't remember much about it. It seemed like it was a good that looked fun while watching videos of it on youtube, but that fun just didn't transition well to me actually playing the game. Monster Hunter is pretty much a franchise now. So, a lot of people must like it.

So, when you have so little time to play games, like me lately, you definitely don't get to experience everything all at once.

What I don't like about Toukiden is that each zone seems pretty small, and you have to load the game after you pass through each little gate/zone, in every quest. It seems like, with the power of the PS4, it should never have to stop and load these areas, and they should have designed the game so that the areas load in the background, like they do in many games.

So, in this game, you acquire these souls which can be leveled up. You have like ones for defense or offense, but you can only equip one of them, and I guess, it depends on the type of character you want to play, which would make you more likely to choose one soul over the other..

You get different special attacks based on what type of weapon you choose to fight with. You have dual knives, a sword, a gun, spear, and a variety of others. I think one of them allows you to fly or something. Another one gives you the ability to run fast...

I want to say that all of these are basically clones of Phantasy Star Online. There are more sophisticated controls and moves in Toukiden, but in my personal opinion, they aren't as good as PSO. Not much else to say about Toukiden, as I've only played it a couple hours at most.

Dragon Quest Heroes 2... Now, I've played this one no more than an hour or two as well, and I really didn't want to go too far in this one without completing the first game.

Pretty much right away, the battlefields seem to have gotten larger, and there is some level of exploring. Although I'm not sure if the maps will expand even more, like they may have in the NES Dragon Warrior games, where we can replace the term 'battlefield' with 'map,' but at minimum, this is much better than the first one, in that regard. The combat and graphics look to be about the same. So, I would imagine both games were either being made simultaneously, or one right after the other.

I don't know if, in the first game, you have the ability to spring in battlefields, but in the second one, you definitely do.

I also got in Horizon Zero Dawn yesterday, also for the PS4, but I haven't even opened it yet. That game looks pretty awesome from the videos, but like anything else, you don't get the true feel of a game without having a controller in your hand and playing it.

I'm hoping to buy NieR Automata soon too, and that may be all I go out of my way to purchase for awhile, even though I'm always up for deals, if I find something on ebay.

Malakai
Gold member
Malakai
Gold member

3:33 AM - Aug 01, 2017 #4

What you'll probably see me say time and time again is time..... not having time to do everything I want, especially in regards to gaming... but I did get to finally try out Horizon Zero Dawn, over the period of about two nights. I don't really long the long introductory stuff that so many games have now days, including this one, but once you get out of that part of the game and enter a more open world, the game really starts to get fun.

With around two hours in, I'd assume that it's not enough time to fully judge the game, but it's definitely the best PS4 game I've played so far. Crafting your own arrows, finding materials to craft other objects in the game is not really a new concept, but it works well for the game, I believe. I would say that this is sort of like fallout, except you're fighting with robotic dinosaurs. Monster Hunter? No, definitely much too open a world...

This is the first game that I have installed so far that took a whole 16 minutes to install, before you could actually play the game. Most of the PS4 games seem to just let you play pretty instantly.

Anyway, I have a feeling that this game will probably be one of my all-time favorites. It's hard to say how it will compare, long-term, to fallout 4 though...

So, in this game, your main character is a female that was an outcast from the tribe, for not having a mother, and that baby was left with an outcast tribesman to raise. The full story hasn't unfolded, but later on when I think she's 6 years old, she finds a piece of tech that allows her to scan areas, for clues or to track the movement of these robotic enemies, as to not get caught, and it even shows the weak points on some enemies. It's kind of like a bluetooth headset. So yeah, you use stealth and all of that stuff..

This girl ends up wanting to find out who her mother is, and she has to train for several years, to do some type of trial, to be allowed back into the tribe and get the true story. When the majority of the intro is done, your main character is grown.

I think anyone that has a PS4 should at least look at youtube videos on this, borrow it from a friend, or rent it, if you can rent games anywhere nearby. It's worth a look, probably worth a buy too..

Malakai
Gold member
Malakai
Gold member

3:18 AM - Jan 07, 2018 #5

So I am JUST NOW getting back into gaming, as y’all may have seen. Ys viii has been my main game lately, and I got a couple games for Christmas, not to mention buying several others over the last week or so, like demon gaze 2 and pillars of eternity, and I’m waiting on Ys Origins, which I’m super excited about.

There still are a few games on my want list, some I’m waiting for the price to drop. Others, I just haven’t committed to. I really want I Am Setsuna, but the physical copies don’t have English subs. That doesn’t mean I won’t get it either way. The Asian switch version DOES have English subs, however. The Nintendo Switch is definitely looking better to me though. Short of doing a 3DS, it may be a good option for old school-type RPGs. Speaking of Setsuna, a sequel is also out in Japan called Lost Sphear I think, also with no English options. These are likely in English, as digital downloads only, but you know how I feel about digital releases.

Malakai
Gold member
Malakai
Gold member

3:59 PM - Jan 08, 2018 #6

So, I finally got to play demon gaze 2 and pillars of eternity. Demon gaze is a dungeon crawler sort of, but with like a menu driven map. So far, it is it really a very open world. They game is kind of quirky and comical I suppose, sort of with like manga elements.

Pillars of eternity is a great throwback to point-and-click RPG’s like dungeon siege, baldurs gate, and probably Diablo and others. It seems to have a pretty good story and has a lot of dialogue and other options. It was a kick starter funded game.

Malakai
Gold member
Malakai
Gold member

4:29 PM - Jan 20, 2018 #7

Started playing Ys Origin last night. I bought the Chinese version, which is a physical copy, and it has English subs. So, this version was a great option. It definitely is a throwback to 16-bit era RPGs like Zelda, lagoon, and other Ys games. Man, the bosses don’t start out easy either! You really have to know how the enemies move and work, in order to dodge their attacks and defeat them. So far, I think I’ve beaten three bosses, maybe four.

This game is also good about making you have to figure out things, to get to certain areas or to find hidden passages. I would say that it’s definitely in the spirit of the earlier Ys games.

Ys Origin is not as polished as some games, but that’s because of it being a port from an earlier release. In one of the earlier scenes in the game, it had the game set in a 4:3 aspect ratio, and I was sort of worried that the entire game would be like that, but luckily, it went into widescreen mode after that. I really wish more games would be released like this on modern consoles, with physical media. Both this and Demon Gaze II do a pretty good job at keeping it sort of retro.

Malakai
Gold member
Malakai
Gold member

1:52 AM - Feb 14, 2018 #8

I finally beat Ys Origins... pretty awesome game..