Introductions

Introduce yourself to everyone. Share your interests and homepages

Introductions

Steve
Silver member

06 Feb 2007, 07:44 #1

OK this topic is going to be pinned so don't worry about having to repost this again, but I wanna see some intros here :)

My name is Steve, I'm 27 and from NJ. I found GoodDealGames in 2002 and loved the site. I decided to hop on board and handle the message boards. That is also when the Weekly Trivia and Polls started. I got a Masters in Criminology and decided I didn't like the field, so now after being a teacher for a while, I am back in school for a second Masters in Teaching.

I am a huge Sega fan and love collecting. My favorite system was the Saturn because of the RPGs like Shining Force 3, Dragon Force Panzer Saga, Albert Odyssey, etc. I have 40 something videogame systems and roughly two thousand games. The Shining Force games were my favorite...as you can tell I play RPGs all the time!
I have a huge import collection thanks to friends in England and Japan. I also like anime(Berserk) ,billiards and bowling. Hulkamania rocks! I don't have a website to shill so that's it.
Let's hear from everyone else!
Chance favors the prepared mind

stevec1636
Advanced Member

06 Feb 2007, 15:58 #2

Hello all, my name is Steve aka SteveC. I am from New York, then Philadelphia and now North Carolina where i live with my wife of 14 years and my 8 year old son.
I have been working in the video game retail field for about 14 years now. It all started with Funcoland then BestBuy and now EB Games / Gamestop for the last 2 years.
Collecting for me has been something i have always done. from baseball cards to comics and toys to now games and DVD's.
I have Been collecting games and for about the last 10 years or so. My collection now spands 4,700 games 42 systems over 1,000 guides, Thousands of magazines and countless little do-dads and freebe stuff that it all had to go into it's own room. Right now i am trying to get together a complete Genesis collection.
I am a BIG new york sports fan so mid baseball season i am not around as much as i should LOL.
right now my favorite games would have to be Gears of War and Guitar Hero 2.

Sorry i don't have a web page right now.
The Trivia King

Matt
Gold member

06 Feb 2007, 16:02 #3

I'm Matt, 32 years old, born and raised in the south (Tennessee, now Alabama). I can't tell you how much of a privilege it is to be here and share a real common ground in all things gaming. My other interests are college football, reading, history, and current events to name the biggest.

The 8-bit Nintendo is the best thing that has ever happened to the games industry and is my all time favorite system. There are countless greats. I am a huge Castlevania nut and my favorite games I've played so far are the first three Castlevania games and the GBA "Metroidvania" titles.

Now if someone could update the trivia and make it fun again...

Note: I stopped using the name "Kain" many years ago while this board was just made. Any posts with Kain in it are Matt- one and the same. I got tired of it and dumped it. I'm Matt, always and forever.

EDITED November 28, 2016
I can be found at these places online:
Github-https://github.com/mbgraham
LinkedIn-https://www.linkedin.com/in/matthew-b-graham
Unity username: mbgraham
Game Gavel, NintendoAge, and NESdev.com forum username- retrofan84
Digital Press and Minds usernames- mbgraham

Malakai
Gold member

06 Feb 2007, 19:53 #4

Yo, I'm from Florida but have also lived in Tennessee (Great place to live if you find the right city.) My interests are US and Russian politics, Japanese language and culture, collecting different things, and general entertainment.

I live for the next project that comes along. One of my other interests are animals. I ran a conservation organization (Exotic Animal Conservation Efforts) for several years. At one time, I had up to 150 reptiles and other exotic animals in my care, including the most venomous, deadly snakes from around the world. Puff adders, Pakistan Cobras, Egyptian Cobras, African black-neck spitting cobras, rattlers, cat-eyed snakes, coral snakes, and more.

Collecting things has always been a passion of mine, but some things have been sold off, like my entire NES collection, to make room for other stuff. It probably won't be the last to go either. Between those and the DOS collection, a couple specific saturn and a few turbo duo games I've sold off, it's probably taken 1/4th of my collection away.

I also collect some books, some magazines, comic books, sports and non-sports cards, coins, and stamps.

Computers are also some thing that I've been messing with since I was a kid, starting with a ti 99/4a and commodore vic 20 and 64, as well as many of the tandy computers. The first computer I took apart was one of those big tandy computers with the black and white monitor built in to it. After that, I bought a book on building a computer and pretty much taught myself every thing about the hardware aspects of computer. This was back in the day when every thing wasn't plug n play.

Later on, I would run quarterdeck's multi-tasker through DOS and ran a PCBoard dialup BBS system for several years, until around 97. Later, I got severa computerl tech degrees but haven't used them much, only a computer job here and there.

Now days, I've been running a worldgroup server for about a year and have also been working on setting up a plant nursery, which may take several years to get off the ground.

Books I like to read are mainly nature books, or exotic animal and fish books, and occasionally a stephen king book (I've got most of his books.)

I'm kind of a jack of all trades, master of only computers type deal. Electronics tech and wiring, Carpentry, satellite tech, photography, politics, home theater/sound engineer lol.
Movies: 125 HD-DVDS, 213 BLU-RAYS, 288 3-D BLU-RAYS, 7 UHD, 286 DVDs, 599 VHS, 28 VCDs, 5 PSP Movies, 176 Laserdiscs, 10 FS 3D DVDs

18 3DO, 198 Atari 2600, 34 Atari 7800, 19 Amiga, 6 C64, 10 CD-I, 15 Colecovision, 20 Dreamcast, 56 Duo/PC Engine, 54 GB/GBA/DS, 31 Gamecube, 5 GameGear, 105 Genesis/32x, 28 Intellivision, 41 SMS, 22 N64, 132 NES/Famicom, 44 PS1, 105 PS2, 27 PS3, 25 PSP, 121 Sega/Mega CD, 46 Saturn, 42 SNES, 7 ti-99/4a, 34 Wii, 2 Wonderswan, 110 XBOX, 37 XBOX 360

RetroYoungen
Advanced Member

06 Feb 2007, 22:29 #5

Y0 y0 y0... I'm Kevin, I'm from Martinez, CA, and I've been playing video games (and other various electronic entertainment) since at LEAST 1988 (to put that into perspective, I was born in '84). I've done my best to school myself on all sorts of different systems, different eras and the backstories of those systems. I collect, have actively since 1999 (at least consciously), and so far own about 21 different systems and over 770 different titles.

Other than games, I'm a story writer and work in software at Fry's Electronics. I've written one novel, started on a few others, and even started writing a text (don't know how long it'll turn out) on my own personal gaming history, since my parents have been "computer people" since the early-to-mid 1980s. I've been on the 'Net since around 1990.

I like puppies, hate mean things, watch Star Trek (mostly Next Gen and later), and hopefully I can add something to the conversation. :)

And like Malakai, I consider myself somewhat of a jack of all trades... but I, specifically, am a master of none. A small bit of HTML (basics), creative writing (a one-time published poet), amateur collector, review writer, amateur photographer, horrible movie buff (don't know anything about movies, but I know what I like), watcher of the stars (when I can see them), NES Tetris high score contender (can't prove it, but if I could I'd have one of the top five scores on Twin Galaxies)...

Yeah. Not even really worthwhile trades. lol
This is where my witty signature will go... when I come up with one.

RetroYoungen on Digital Press
RetroYoungen on RFGeneration
RetroYoungen on HardCoreGaming.org

If'n you ever stumble across me anywhere else. ;-)

Joe

15 Feb 2007, 19:46 #6

Hi I'm Joe, WOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! For those on this site who don't know me because I disappear and reappear every few months. I'm 27 years old, and live in New Jersey. I'm an old school wrestling fan where WCW will always live forever and Ric Flair will be the top. However, as much as I can talk about wrestling this is a gaming site. My roots trace back to Coleco and the illegal Atari adapter. I like games such as Time Pilot and the game with the creepy Green guy, which I think looks like Shaggy, Venture. Also, I had the Nintendo, where I was introduced to Mike Tyson's Punchout, Russian Attack, and Contra. The main man who does a damn good job with this site, Steve got me into Sega, and the many good role playing games such as Shining Force 1 and 2. My later gaming years, I'm used to playing the wrestling games. For a lot of the systems, It started with WCW/nWo Revenge, and it continues with WWE Raw vs. Smackdown 2007 with XBOX 360, however, I'm looking foward to NWA- TNA wrestling with their video game to come out, because maybe it will blow WWE out of the water. I own about 12 systems. Which makes a snowy day like yesterday easier to deal with. That is a little about me in a nutshell.
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shaggy
Bronze member

20 Feb 2007, 21:19 #7

Joe @ Feb 15 2007, 02:46 PM wrote: Hi I'm Joe, WOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! For those on this site who don't know me because I disappear and reappear every few months. I'm 27 years old, and live in New Jersey. I'm an old school wrestling fan where WCW will always live forever and Ric Flair will be the top. However, as much as I can talk about wrestling this is a gaming site. My roots trace back to Coleco and the illegal Atari adapter. I like games such as Time Pilot and the game with the creepy Green guy, which I think looks like Shaggy, Venture. Also, I had the Nintendo, where I was introduced to Mike Tyson's Punchout, Russian Attack, and Contra. The main man who does a damn good job with this site, Steve got me into Sega, and the many good role playing games such as Shining Force 1 and 2. My later gaming years, I'm used to playing the wrestling games. For a lot of the systems, It started with WCW/nWo Revenge, and it continues with WWE Raw vs. Smackdown 2007 with XBOX 360, however, I'm looking foward to NWA- TNA wrestling with their video game to come out, because maybe it will blow WWE out of the water. I own about 12 systems. Which makes a snowy day like yesterday easier to deal with. That is a little about me in a nutshell.
You forgot to tell everyone you want and need to get laid so if there are any lovely ladies out there Joe is available for you.
Check out my collection and an awesome website at www.rfgeneration.com. User name: shaggy.

krissyk
Advanced Member

08 Mar 2007, 06:49 #8

I hate intros! I'm krissy, first female gdg member. I found the site a couple years ago and post on and off. Lived in New Hampshire, went to college just finished so of course like anyone with a degree you go back home and sleep for a long time!
I love journalism and classic gaming. The jaguar was my favorite as well as the Lynx and Genesis. I find the peace treaty between sega and nintendo fans so funny because in the 90's they were the top competitors like coke and pepsi. But anything is better than sony, sorry I will never like those guys...or shaggy and joe :P
What happened to DuelLadyS, she was cool...

plis

22 Apr 2007, 21:41 #9

My Name is Plis. I live in the Cincinnati area, but go to college at Bowling Green State University (Ohio, not Kentucky). I am a computer Science major, and want to go into programming. I discovered GDG in 2001, and used to be an active forum member a while back. I stopped coming, for no apparent reason, and I suddenly just remembered. I guess I missed the conversion to the new forum.

I don't know how many games or sytems are in my collection, but it has diminished quite a bit. Unfortunately the life of a poor college student has lead to me selling off a good portion of it. It was never really that big, in comparisons to some I have seen, but pretty good for a 19 year old kid.

I got into classic video games because I was never allowed to play them when I was younger. My first video game system was a PSX, and I got it a year before the PS2 came out. I felt like I had mssed out on so much, so I randomly bought a Genesis at a flea market. I spread from one system to the next, and it continued growing (until college that is).

I'm hoping the selling can stop if I find a real job over the summer and can get some savings. I used to work at Gamestop, which was fun, but $5.15 an hour for 10 hours a week wasn't cutting it.

I look forward to reentering myself into the GDG community, and to rebuilding my collection.

Steve
Silver member

23 Apr 2007, 05:22 #10

Welcome back Plis, you have been gone for a while.
How do you like the new forum?

plis

23 Apr 2007, 06:44 #11

It seems pretty good. I'm still getting used to it, and its weird not just having all the posts on one page. I'll get used to it though.

shaggy
Bronze member

24 Jan 2008, 16:07 #12

krissyk @ Mar 8 2007, 01:49 AM wrote: I hate intros! I'm krissy, first female gdg member. I found the site a couple years ago and post on and off. Lived in New Hampshire, went to college just finished so of course like anyone with a degree you go back home and sleep for a long time!
I love journalism and classic gaming. The jaguar was my favorite as well as the Lynx and Genesis. I find the peace treaty between sega and nintendo fans so funny because in the 90's they were the top competitors like coke and pepsi. But anything is better than sony, sorry I will never like those guys...or shaggy and joe :P
What happened to DuelLadyS, she was cool...
Hey! What's this? You don't like me?! What did I do to you? What did you get your degree in? Where are all the other new people?! Post!!
Check out my collection and an awesome website at www.rfgeneration.com. User name: shaggy.

krissyk
Advanced Member

26 Jan 2008, 20:33 #13

I was kidding shaggy! I have a degree in journalism.

shaggy
Bronze member

26 Feb 2008, 16:33 #14

I think Krissy is mean! :angry: And where is Joe? JOE!!! Come back to us! Krissy, post some more!

Steve
Silver member

05 Mar 2008, 03:54 #15

I have no idea where joe is, but based on how weird he was, nothing surprises me! I wanna know where stevec has been, he used to post polls everyweek.