What do you like and dislike about your country?

January 27th, 2018, 10:41 pm #1

:?: What do you like and dislike about your country?

:SolStar: Is there anything you are proud of or anything you'd recommend?
:LunaStar: Or is there anything that annoys you so much or anything you'd change?

Feel free to share your opinion and experience!
[+] Spoiler

Click for more info about Golden Sun Legends! Also click to see The Chronicles of Golden Sunrise!

January 30th, 2018, 10:08 pm #2

Well, America is much more nationalistic than it is actually patriotic. I have no issue with people saying it's a great country, because it really is a great country, but I see so much xenophobia and a refusal to accept any practice that isn't "American" as equally valid.

Like, this is just one example, but we all know the subtle differences in dialect between the UK and US when it comes to spelling, such as with the word "colour". Now, I personally just prefer using the UK spellings of things for the most part, and it obviously doesn't bother me when someone else uses the US spellings, but sometimes I'll use that spelling and people will be legitimately angry because I'm spelling it "wrong" since we're in America and the American way is the right way.

Oh... and don't even get me started on units of measurement.

I understand that back in the day, becoming independent from Britain was a huge deal so it's at least justifiable (while still a little unnecessary) to try distancing ourselves by modifying the language and creating new units of measurement, but nowadays people are just so stubborn that anything that isn't innately American is shunned. Don't get me wrong, I understand why we would continue to use the US measurement system. My friend is a chemist and only works in Metric and it's confusing because I grew up on the US system so my brain isn't naturally set up for Metres, but it's the fact that some people legitimately get angry over these things that, ironically, makes me legitimately angry, huh.

And then there's cultural differences too and... well, I think you all get the picture. Long story short, America is a great country but it's also a narcissist.
Sunrise's Machinist Hero shall not back down!

January 30th, 2018, 10:52 pm #3

We got nice healthcare in Canada.

Also, we're not America.

What else needs to be said?
<-- Courtesy of Safe Haven and Saucy Goblin respectively! :3 <3

January 31st, 2018, 3:06 am #4

Yeah, the US measurement system actually has its good side, unfortunately it gets annoying when you go in higher precision stuff, where it's just a pain to work with multipliers of 12, and the small edge it has over metric at lower precision really isn't worth the downside at higher precision.

As for the question itself, I like Canada. I honestly am not emotionally involved enough to feel strongly about it and might feel the same in many other countries had I been born there, but since the easiest comparison is the US thanks to proximity making them the only place I can find fairly good levels of news on, I can safely say I prefer Canada, making it my standard for "good".

Rule of existence: Whenever luck is involved, somehow, somewhere, someone will get trolled by it.

February 1st, 2018, 11:46 pm #5

:SolStar: The U.S.A. holds the record for most hurricane landfalls and tornado touchdowns. Life wouldn't be the same without them.
:LunaStar: Shortcuts are taken to make a variety of food products faster despite the fact it can put the consumer's health in jeopardy. There is healthy food around but it can be hard to find depending on where a person lives and it's usually more expensive than the cheap stuff.
Last edited by Artisan on February 1st, 2018, 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 3rd, 2018, 8:34 am #6

Violet Spinel wrote:Well, America is much more nationalistic than it is actually patriotic. I have no issue with people saying it's a great country, because it really is a great country, but I see so much xenophobia and a refusal to accept any practice that isn't "American" as equally valid.

Like, this is just one example, but we all know the subtle differences in dialect between the UK and US when it comes to spelling, such as with the word "colour". Now, I personally just prefer using the UK spellings of things for the most part, and it obviously doesn't bother me when someone else uses the US spellings, but sometimes I'll use that spelling and people will be legitimately angry because I'm spelling it "wrong" since we're in America and the American way is the right way.

Oh... and don't even get me started on units of measurement.

I understand that back in the day, becoming independent from Britain was a huge deal so it's at least justifiable (while still a little unnecessary) to try distancing ourselves by modifying the language and creating new units of measurement, but nowadays people are just so stubborn that anything that isn't innately American is shunned. Don't get me wrong, I understand why we would continue to use the US measurement system. My friend is a chemist and only works in Metric and it's confusing because I grew up on the US system so my brain isn't naturally set up for Metres, but it's the fact that some people legitimately get angry over these things that, ironically, makes me legitimately angry, huh.

And then there's cultural differences too and... well, I think you all get the picture. Long story short, America is a great country but it's also a narcissist.
From my understanding (although I was surprised to find it out) the US actually uses English closer to how it used to be than the UK does (though citation needed). And its more a difference between Americans being willing to change, than it is about trying to distance it'self from Britain. Even more so for the US system of measurements: the UK used imperial measurements too, but we were willing to switch to metric because the benefits made it worth the effort. But its recent; my parents think in inches and feet, I've only just switched to measuring my weight in kg, our roads are still measured in miles. The transition has been slow, but there is the political will here to make chances. That's what i think the US lacks some times.

As for my country: I wish we weren't leaving the EU. I don't like some peoples misty eyed view of how important our country used to be, and the "good" we did to the word, because they use it to justify living in the past, and reducing the amount of actual good we could do in the world today. They want to break off from the EU and think that that would make us world powers again. Instead I think we should be part of it and use our influence to improve the EU and become a driving force in it.

What I like about our country is the relative freedoms we enjoy, the benefits and safety net that exists (even as its being striped back by austerity), our comedy and good TV shows, the BBC in general (not that it doesnt have its own issues). IDK loads of things I guess, its harder to talk about the good than the bad, because its easy to take the good for granted, or to say that it's good, but then want to point out the ways its not perfect, thats human nature though I guess,
Last edited by Miva on March 3rd, 2018, 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 31st, 2018, 11:11 pm #7

Honestly, I'm uncomfortable with a lot of the collectivism happening in my country. People are being judged based on the color of the skin, their gender, and their sexual orientation rather than their individual beliefs. I also worry about many of the tactics being used against the "undesirables" by the collectivists... I don't think that violence is healthy. A lot of them don't realize the danger of some of their policies - trying to enforce gun confiscation is only going to result in civil war here.