To seal or unseal Alchemy?

May 12th, 2018, 5:16 pm #1

You would..

Total votes: 7
1(14%)
6(86%)

[I know it maybe should be in Golden Sun section but no, it'd be interesting to also hear opinions of people who have never played the games, especially that legends about Alchemy exist in our world too.]

You are faced with a choice: to seal or unseal Alchemy. What would you do?

Alchemy is a force beyond our imagination: it's a source of life, the energy that flows everywhere. It can awake every being's inner force and make it stronger. People sealed Alchemy because they were afraid of its power and of horrible things people could do with it. They didn't weigh up that without it the world would gradually fall into decay..
If Alchemy was unsealed again, everything would change: people and animals would gain new powers and we'd face fearsome monsters, new races and have to learn how to coexist with them. However, the world would regain its energy and destroyed lands and nature would reborn.

Knowing that, what would you choose?

[+] Spoiler

Click for more info about Golden Sun Legends! Also click to see The Chronicles of Golden Sunrise!

May 12th, 2018, 6:26 pm #2

Unseal. Murdering the world is unnecessary. The unsealing cataclysms are survivable. The world rotting alive and vanishing is not necessarily survivable. It will also take time to redevelop the techniques to seriously screw up the world again and most of the monsters seem to take a while to get that formidable as well.

....I'm also a fan of higher power settings, a few million sacrifices should be fine.

May 12th, 2018, 6:31 pm #3

I voted seal so I can play an anti-villain. The world needs to be strong in order to handle the powers of alchemy, if they cannot defeat me in order to unseal alchemy, then they might as well suffer the destruction of their world, because unsealing alchemy would only cause the same thing but much more violent.
WHY ARE WE STILL HERE...
...JUST TO SUFFER?!

May 13th, 2018, 5:30 am #4

Unseal. Why would I want to break what should be the normal laws of physics and watch the world decay from the universe failing because some fool decided it would be smart to stop part of the cycle? It would be like trying to live on earth with shut off gravity. Sure, it'll be fun at first, you get to fly around, but then you realise without it everything starts going wrong because it's kind of necessary for everything we have and evolution is going to take literally ages to get used to it.

Besides, I'd love having a few basic magic powers like being able to create protective forcefields(or giant invisible hands, whatever appearance it may take doesn't matter to me) with my mind. Not only that, but alchemy was set up as the foundations of the world. Sealing it would likely have the effect of a global chemical inhibitor on any reaction, from creating fire to medicine. It's not just "everything gets magic" vs "no magic and the world decays", it goes as far as stagnating everything by making any breakthrough difficult because you'd likely have to emulate an unsealed environment for the more advanced stuff.
Last edited by Delfes on May 13th, 2018, 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rule of existence: Whenever luck is involved, somehow, somewhere, someone will get trolled by it.

May 13th, 2018, 6:14 am #5

Catman wrote:I voted seal so I can play an anti-villain. The world needs to be strong in order to handle the powers of alchemy, if they cannot defeat me in order to unseal alchemy, then they might as well suffer the destruction of their world, because unsealing alchemy would only cause the same thing but much more violent.
Wow, looks you just summarized the plot of Golden Sun

May 14th, 2018, 12:45 am #6

Power might be dangerous, but without it everything crumbles into a vacuum. It is better to embrace it than to fear it despite the risks, and I think that Golden Sun actually illustrates that pretty well.

So, yeah. Have a 100% chance of the world going through a slow, painful death? Or, go for rapid technological/quality of life advancement at the cost of a smaller chance of the world getting nuked? The choice is pretty obvious. The unsealing event is probably basically Weyard's equivalent to the industrial revolution.
Last edited by Robert Joe on May 14th, 2018, 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 31st, 2018, 11:07 pm #7

Hmm... Ultimately this is a question about whether I want to live at the height of alchemy's power, or at its lowest point as the world wastes away.

I think I might want to seal it then - even after its sealed, I won't feel the consequences during my lifetime, and I'll have the benefits of the best of alchemic technologies.
Last edited by AllanaM on May 31st, 2018, 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.