Windjana Gorge.

Windjana Gorge.

boobook
Contributor plus
boobook
Contributor plus

January 20th, 2018, 10:10 pm #1

G'day Ted.
Nice pic of the Gorge and a great camp spot.
Just a thought, you may have missed the D, it being Windjana Gorge.

For any one travelling the Great Northern Highway, about 40km. W of Fitzroy Crossing is the Leopold Downs road which goes across to the Gibb River road passing Windjana near the end.

A few km. from the Highway a turnoff goes into the old RAAF "boab quarry" where limestone from the Devonian reef was quarried for topping RAAF runways in the North during the Japanese threat.
Its a great overnight camp spot with a beautiful clear water swimming hole quarried/carved into the reef.
Michael

Topcat
Contriibutor Extraordinare
Topcat
Contriibutor Extraordinare

January 21st, 2018, 12:13 am #2

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the correction, travelled the Kimberly extensively in the 80's doing the Gibb River & on up to the top to the
old mission at Pago east of Kalumburu.
Also did a run out to the old Mitchell River homestead, the Mitchell Falls & Warrender to the old Bauxite Mine.
Did some panning in the Carson Ranges & found some colour after the Manager of Theda Station mentioned that he had found
some nuggets out there.....wish I had a detector with me!!!!!
That area I have heard is now being pegged for mining. Interesting to see how it goes with Native Title claims.
One humorous incident happened when I refuelled at Mt. Barnett . At the time my fuel tank was only 60 ltrs & I carried 3 x 20 ltr jerry cans which needed filling.
The bowser read out indicated 100ltrs!!!!
I refused to pay the extra & since the jerry cans only held a total of 60 ltrs, which was indisputable, to which the manager apologised &
said they would get the bowser recalibrated. I wonder how many other people got ripped off!!!!
At that time there wasn't a roadhouse, just a couple of bowsers by a shed & I think it was over $2.00 ltr.
Did all the gorges & visited the Lacey Brothers out at Mt Elizabeth Station which has now been sold to the Chinese.

Terrific & spectacular scenery up there.
There are more pics of the area on my Web-Site [URL on my signature below & look under 'Trips']
Cheers,

Ted

www.havewheelswilltravel.iinet.net.au
"I believe that if life gives you lemons,you
should make lemonade & try to find somebody
whose life has given them vodka, & have a party"!!!!

cruiser 1
Contributor plus
cruiser 1
Contributor plus

January 25th, 2018, 11:53 pm #3

Looks and sounds like a good camping spot Ted/Mike.I have spent most of my trips out around the Murchinson and Eastern goldfields and I think I am going to have to plan a few trips further north in the near future.

Cheers

Phil