how are your quad rims

how are your quad rims

silverback
Contributor plus
silverback
Contributor plus

November 2nd, 2009, 1:54 pm #1

Hi all, in the last couple of days i have been taking the rims and tyres off my suzuki quad.i run slime puncture repairer in my tyres as i'm sure a few others do too.the thing that surprised me was the amount of rust in side the rims.talking to the tyre repair people ,they say it is common using those type products. during our detecting a mates bike developed a puncture we could not seem to fix,after taking the tyre off the rim we found corrosion on the section of rim which the tyres bead sits.We managed to get it to seal by using copious amounts of "Rema tip top glue, but it looks like that rim is clagged.I have no doubt if i had not had a look inside my rims with the layover of the next 6 months i could have been in the same boat.I'm now in the process ofcleaning up my rims and painting them with galv paint and then top coating with an epoxy anti rust paint. It could be in your interest to check your rims as well!
All the best,
Peter

Topcat
Contriibutor Extraordinare
Topcat

November 2nd, 2009, 2:20 pm #2

Hi Peter,

I had a similar problem with the rusting on the bead when I was running split rims.
The way I cured it permanently was to get the rims fully galvanised.
Doesn't cost too much.

Cheers

Ted
Cheers,

Ted

www.havewheelswilltravel.iinet.net.au
"I believe that if life gives you lemons,you
should make lemonade & try to find somebody
whose life has given them vodka, & have a party"!!!!

musterpilot
Good contributor
musterpilot
Good contributor

November 15th, 2010, 4:15 am #3

silverback wrote:Hi all, in the last couple of days i have been taking the rims and tyres off my suzuki quad.i run slime puncture repairer in my tyres as i'm sure a few others do too.the thing that surprised me was the amount of rust in side the rims.talking to the tyre repair people ,they say it is common using those type products. during our detecting a mates bike developed a puncture we could not seem to fix,after taking the tyre off the rim we found corrosion on the section of rim which the tyres bead sits.We managed to get it to seal by using copious amounts of "Rema tip top glue, but it looks like that rim is clagged.I have no doubt if i had not had a look inside my rims with the layover of the next 6 months i could have been in the same boat.I'm now in the process ofcleaning up my rims and painting them with galv paint and then top coating with an epoxy anti rust paint. It could be in your interest to check your rims as well!
G'day the best I have found is to paint the inside
of the rims with silver frost we use to do this
with split rims and found it very easy to get the
tyre off for repairs and also help hold down the rust
problem

Cheers
John

Jon
Jon

October 5th, 2011, 1:26 am #4

Gidday Peter (Silverback)
How did you go getting your quad tyres filled with solid material ?? Did you end up getting it done and if so how much was it .
Although i been over some very rough stuff have never had a punchture in mine as yet,touch wood,i have 3 wheels with tubes in and one is tubeless,i only run 5lb in each tyre.
Got the old girl out today and gave it a service and was debateing to start stuffing around with the tyres.
Cheers Jon.

Bloody Hell my Emoticons are working again.

Nightjar
Nightjar

October 5th, 2011, 1:38 am #5

Hi Jon,
You and Kath have done your 30 day penance and yes, your smilies have been re-activated.
Good luck & safe travels
Peter

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."

nuggetykath-68
nuggetykath-68

October 5th, 2011, 5:09 am #6

LOL...IT MUST HAVE BEEN KARMA FOR JON & I ,TED!!!! YEP THEY STILL WORK!!!!!

CHEERS,

KATH
Be kind to others & smile.

Topcat
Topcat

October 5th, 2011, 8:51 am #7

Don't get too excited,it can always happen again.
Cheers,

Ted

www.havewheelswilltravel.iinet.net.au
"I believe that if life gives you lemons,you
should make lemonade & try to find somebody
whose life has given them vodka, & have a party"!!!!

Jon
Jon

October 5th, 2011, 9:49 am #8

HA HA HA

silverback
Contributor plus
silverback
Contributor plus

October 6th, 2011, 10:20 am #9

hi Jon, must say i have been a bit slack following up on the tyres,been sorting gear etc for this trip etc.i am in Coolgardie at the moment,if i go into Kal i will have a talk with the tyre guy there and get some prices. i usually only run my tyres at about 4psi in the front and 5 in the back but i am pretty hard on my gear and seem to pick up rubbish in my tyres easily.Last time i pulled the tyre off the inside was like a porcupine with all the prickles and small stakes protruding thru.i have given the bitumen idea away as i think it may rot or soften the rubber.i am still looking at the paint idea or if the silicon stuff is not to dear or makes it ride to rough!
All the best,
Peter

silverback
Contributor plus
silverback
Contributor plus

October 7th, 2011, 7:00 am #10

Hi Jon,
i went into Kal today and talked to the fellow at Coolgardie tyre service who does the tyres with silicon.Are you sitting down -it works on a weight system for the pricing,$7.00 per kilo and i would need about 40 kilos for each of my tyres ,say even figures of$300 per tyre.$1200 .plus you have the weight gain to try and get going then when it gets going you have to try to stop it.Also that much weight virtually doubles the weight of my quad.In its favour you can run the tyres untill there is nothing left of them.
For me i think i will stay with the slime and a new set of tyres every few years!
All the best,
Peter