Putt Picks

Putt Picks

April 15th, 2000, 12:11 am #1

My picks for the most memorable putts of the last ten years: Payne on 18 for the win at 1999 US Open; Constantino Rocca's 60 footer at the 18th of St. Andrews 1995 British Open to force playoff (holed out after chili dipped approach); Justin Leonard's 50 footer for the win at 1999 Ryder Cup.

All are improbable putts under normal conditions, but the pressure of each situation elevates these to divine intervention status.

Also not the most technically proficient of the Tour players in putting, but played from the core, as Geoff says.

Hope this forum gets some visitors, and expands to the short game as well. Cheers.

April 25th, 2000, 2:34 am #2

How about giving the golden bear some history with the slick left to right on 17 during the 86 showdown?

April 26th, 2000, 11:57 pm #3

That tricky downhiller was one of the alltime best putts, but I had limited myself to the putts of the last 10 years. You are most definitely right about that one, though! That was for history.

June 25th, 2000, 12:48 pm #4

My picks for the most memorable putts of the last ten years: Payne on 18 for the win at 1999 US Open; Constantino Rocca's 60 footer at the 18th of St. Andrews 1995 British Open to force playoff (holed out after chili dipped approach); Justin Leonard's 50 footer for the win at 1999 Ryder Cup.

All are improbable putts under normal conditions, but the pressure of each situation elevates these to divine intervention status.

Also not the most technically proficient of the Tour players in putting, but played from the core, as Geoff says.

Hope this forum gets some visitors, and expands to the short game as well. Cheers.
I liked O'Meara's putt to win the Masters in 1998, the year following Tiger's great win. O'Meara appeared to summon years of experience and skill in a very cool, confidence setup, targeting, and stroke. As I recall the putt, it was front right on the 18th, about 18 to 20 feet out, with a break around 6 inches (right to left, I think). The hole was cut in the left front quadrant and looked like it had little or no uphill to it. The thing I remember most is the steadiness of O'Meara's gaze. The tv coverage replayed a camera angle from beyond the hole looking back at O'Meara as he turned to target, stroke and then watch his putt roll to and into the hole. At all times, O'Meara's eye-muscles were completely inactive, and his gaze was straight out so his head turn was keeping perfect pace with the progress of the putt. To me, that's magnificent, veteran putting!

Geoff

Geoff Mangum
Greensboro NC USA
puttmagic@aol.com
http://hometown.aol.com/puttmagic