Autographs on GU Bats

Autographs on GU Bats

October 22nd, 2005, 12:03 am #1

Hi,

I have a question, or I guess you could say I am seeking advice or personal experiences. Here we go: What is the best color sharpie to get natural, blonde bats signed in - blue or black? I have heard myths about blue fading, but have also heard people say black gets a yellow tint on the edges. Anyone experience a signature fade over time? I appreciate the advice! I personally have never had any major fading or changing of autographs.

Thanks,

Chris Boyd
http://www.eGameUsed.com
713-385-1155
ccboyd@houston.rr.com

October 22nd, 2005, 12:46 am #2

Chris, are you and I making a series bet?

Joel Alpert
TRS Enterprises
email me at joel@alpert.net if you wish to get on our mailing lists
also email me if you are a sports bettor, I may have a great online/phone service for you!

October 22nd, 2005, 1:00 am #3

Hi,

I have a question, or I guess you could say I am seeking advice or personal experiences. Here we go: What is the best color sharpie to get natural, blonde bats signed in - blue or black? I have heard myths about blue fading, but have also heard people say black gets a yellow tint on the edges. Anyone experience a signature fade over time? I appreciate the advice! I personally have never had any major fading or changing of autographs.

Thanks,

Chris Boyd
713-385-1155
ccboyd@houston.rr.com
Chris,

I"ve never had a black sharpie signature fade or yellow on any bats that I've had autographed. Generally black is best on bats as the would retain their color and not fade. I've had blue sharpie that become faded on bats. Vince Malta in his book Bats as well as Mike Montibriand's SCD articles on bats stated black sharpies are always best.

I've heard that black sharpies on glossy photos will yellow and fade with time and blue sharpies retain their color. Opposite of what happens on bats.

-David

October 22nd, 2005, 4:32 am #4

Chris,

I have an old Broderick Perkins bat that was signed in Blur sharpie. Over time the blue has faded to a GREENISH BLUE.

Den

October 22nd, 2005, 7:36 pm #5

Hi,

Thanks,

Chris Boyd
713-385-1155
ccboyd@houston.rr.com
I'd be more concerned with the sharpie sig bleeding over time. I wonder if a black paint pen would work well?

October 23rd, 2005, 2:29 am #6

John Taube has told me to always use a black sharpie on bats to prevent fading. I beleive this to be true as well.

However I wonder why Steiner and all the others always have everything signed in blue. I have emailed them this question several times and they wont respond to me.

thanks
jason howell

October 23rd, 2005, 2:30 am #7

I have also wondered about silver sharpie VS paint pen. Paint pen seams to be a little brighter, but it is so easy to get messed up while signing it, especially left handed players.

any thoughts?

jason howell

October 23rd, 2005, 3:27 am #8

I'd be more concerned with the sharpie sig bleeding over time. I wonder if a black paint pen would work well?
Chris,

I've never had any signatures on a bat bleed. I think bleeding is more common on a jersey.

-David

October 23rd, 2005, 4:08 am #9

Hello,

I've been a big fan a the paint pen. I used it on , a ash colored bat . It was signed 7 years ago, with no problems. The bat has been out on display , in a bat case. Now, the thing with paint pens they are very sensitive to work with.
Aloha,
REX S

October 23rd, 2005, 4:50 am #10

Black Sharpies and ballpoints have gotten a bad rap from what they do to paper (books, index cards) and baseballs. They yellow over time on paper and leather but even if they do yellow a bit on bats you would never be able to see it with a brown bat. Black is fine for bats and photos. People assume that since baseballs should be signed in blue everything should be and that is why Steiner does so, they are not keeping it long term.