Joined: May 15th, 2007, 1:41 am

August 9th, 2018, 4:45 pm #51

Kevon wrote: I always thought it was a shame IBLULT flopped so hard. It would have been interesting to see if they had ran with TMB, IBLULT/Migrate if they would have had more success. 

I guess it would be weird for us to have a 3 single run of "uptempos", but none of the ballads on E were really single worthy.
I'm positive IBLULT would've done great at radio following TMB, it's a perfect fun summer song. By the time it was released though, Bye Bye had flopped and the album was dead in the water. All the excitement of the era was gone.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: July 16th, 2008, 1:32 pm

August 9th, 2018, 5:25 pm #52

BeyondIdolization wrote:
mcfan wrote:
Kevon wrote: HB + Remix, Crybaby, AAO, Petals >>>>
+ Bliss & X-Girlfriend
Not X-girlfriend 😆
Girl you know that's a certified BOP.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: January 30th, 2004, 2:33 am

August 9th, 2018, 6:56 pm #53

Kevon wrote: I always thought it was a shame IBLULT flopped so hard. It would have been interesting to see if they had ran with TMB, IBLULT/Migrate if they would have had more success. 

I guess it would be weird for us to have a 3 single run of "uptempos", but none of the ballads on E were really single worthy.
I would have loved "IBLULT" as the lead single tbh. If she was going for a more uptempo vibe with the project, why not have the singles follow suit? But we know they all loved to hit with a formula, and her mid-tempo ballads were it then. Plus Mariah just loves a mid-tempo, in her own words.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: December 22nd, 2001, 12:36 pm

August 9th, 2018, 8:54 pm #54

I love E=MC² ... It's fun.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: June 8th, 2005, 6:19 am

August 9th, 2018, 11:19 pm #55

Honestly the E=MC2 era was so confusing on many levels.  While Migrate would have been a greta follow up single, Cruise Control and Side Effects both should have been singles BEFORE IBLYLT.  
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: May 15th, 2007, 1:41 am

August 10th, 2018, 11:04 am #56

bigj405 wrote: Cruise Control and Side Effects both should have been singles BEFORE IBLYLT.  
Only if she wanted the album to flop even harder than it did...
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: May 12th, 2007, 8:06 am

August 10th, 2018, 4:13 pm #57

MisplacedValidity wrote:
Kevon wrote: I always thought it was a shame IBLULT flopped so hard. It would have been interesting to see if they had ran with TMB, IBLULT/Migrate if they would have had more success. 

I guess it would be weird for us to have a 3 single run of "uptempos", but none of the ballads on E were really single worthy.
I would have loved "IBLULT" as the lead single tbh. If she was going for a more uptempo vibe with the project, why not have the singles follow suit? But we know they all loved to hit with a formula, and her mid-tempo ballads were it then. Plus Mariah just loves a mid-tempo, in her own words.
I remember reading somewhere that Mariah thought it was "incomplete" and we never knew if the addition of TI made it complete for her or not. I find it really weird how it cuts abruptly on the album.

Touch My Body is a career highlight for me, so I would not change that.
<p> </p>
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: January 30th, 2004, 2:33 am

August 10th, 2018, 7:30 pm #58

Brazilian X Man wrote:
MisplacedValidity wrote:
Kevon wrote: I always thought it was a shame IBLULT flopped so hard. It would have been interesting to see if they had ran with TMB, IBLULT/Migrate if they would have had more success. 

I guess it would be weird for us to have a 3 single run of "uptempos", but none of the ballads on E were really single worthy.
I would have loved "IBLULT" as the lead single tbh. If she was going for a more uptempo vibe with the project, why not have the singles follow suit? But we know they all loved to hit with a formula, and her mid-tempo ballads were it then. Plus Mariah just loves a mid-tempo, in her own words.
I remember reading somewhere that Mariah thought it was "incomplete" and we never knew if the addition of TI made it complete for her or not. I find it really weird how it cuts abruptly on the album.

Touch My Body is a career highlight for me, so I would not change that.
I like "TMB" fine enough, but it was too subtle to be her big lead single following TEOM. It obviously went to #1 and did well, but in a way it under performed; it didn't hit #1 on any radio format (well, maybe Rhythmic?), and it only sold well enough to get to #1 on the Hot 100 because the single release was held back for awhile. The great video really helped its hype, but I think a song that was more of a 'banger' would have helped its impact. That's why "Fantasy" was such a hit. A slinkier single is better for like a third single (see "Always Be My Baby" and "Shake it Off").
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: July 16th, 2008, 1:32 pm

August 10th, 2018, 7:38 pm #59

MisplacedValidity wrote:
Brazilian X Man wrote:
MisplacedValidity wrote:I would have loved "IBLULT" as the lead single tbh. If she was going for a more uptempo vibe with the project, why not have the singles follow suit? But we know they all loved to hit with a formula, and her mid-tempo ballads were it then. Plus Mariah just loves a mid-tempo, in her own words.
I remember reading somewhere that Mariah thought it was "incomplete" and we never knew if the addition of TI made it complete for her or not. I find it really weird how it cuts abruptly on the album.

Touch My Body is a career highlight for me, so I would not change that.
I like "TMB" fine enough, but it was too subtle to be her big lead single following TEOM. It obviously went to #1 and did well, but in a way it under performed; it didn't hit #1 on any radio format (well, maybe Rhythmic?), and it only sold well enough to get to #1 on the Hot 100 because the single release was held back for awhile. The great video really helped its hype, but I think a song that was more of a 'banger' would have helped its impact. That's why "Fantasy" was such a hit. A slinkier single is better for like a third single (see "Always Be My Baby" and "Shake it Off").
I think "Touch My Body" would've sold very well from the get go and then the video would've actually boosted its sales as well. 

It may not be a banger, but it's sleek and fun and it had a lot of hype going on for it being the lead single. 
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: November 16th, 2002, 6:36 am

August 11th, 2018, 7:15 am #60

TMB did well and had an interesting lyric (the iconic YouTube line) so had that gimmick side to it that had people referencing it. I wouldn’t change it as first single. But the follow up was when the flops began
Wrapped up in a shady tortilla
Quote
Like
Share