If Heartbreaker was the lead single from Glitter...

All discussions related to Mariah Carey.

March 12th, 2018, 6:06 pm #11

It would have flopped, 2001 wasn't Mariah's year by any means.
Love the Glitter album though, one of her creative peaks. 

March 12th, 2018, 6:14 pm #12

Of course it’s all hindsight and nothing can change and all of that, but ultimately it would have been better had Rainbow not happened and had Glitter come out in 2000 as the double album it was meant to be. The movie...is what it is. But had the soundtrack come out in 2000 I think Mariah would have been in a better place emotionally than 2001, and there would have been a bit of hype about the music because she wouldn’t have released anything in awhile. Then “Heartbreaker” may have been the lead single, “Against All Odds” would have been a ballad on the ballad disc, etc.

We may not have gotten Bliss, Crybaby, or Petals, though, so...

March 12th, 2018, 6:19 pm #13

The problem is Mariah would have to wait 'till 2001 to release HB since the movie had not yet begun shooting in '99. That would mean a great gap since a new release for her (1998-2001), I don't know if that would benefit her or not...

March 12th, 2018, 9:46 pm #14

jrsoares wrote: The problem is Mariah would have to wait 'till 2001 to release HB since the movie had not yet begun shooting in '99. That would mean a great gap since a new release for her (1998-2001), I don't know if that would benefit her or not...
Since we were rewriting history I was also having the movie completed earlier. Lol.

One issue was that the movie kept getting pushed back. It was being developed in 1997, but like many Mariah projects post-divorce kept getting pushed back.

March 12th, 2018, 10:23 pm #15

I think it would've done fine, her image wasn't that bad coming off of #1's. Rainbow worsened her image with all the super slutty outfits, so it kind of led up to all the backlash with Glitter (it obviously didn't help that Loverboy was a bad single either).

Having said that, once the movie was out everything post-Heartbreaker would've flopped lol.

March 13th, 2018, 5:53 am #16

Kevon wrote: Oh and of course, the Attack Of The Name Game sample would have been featured on a song called I'm Real by some ho, and Mariah would have had to change the song up at the last minute, ha
Speaking of that, another question is: would the original Loverboy fare better than the version we all know ? I’ve always curious about it.

March 13th, 2018, 9:11 am #17

breakbreakdown wrote:
Kevon wrote: Oh and of course, the Attack Of The Name Game sample would have been featured on a song called I'm Real by some ho, and Mariah would have had to change the song up at the last minute, ha
Speaking of that, another question is: would the original Loverboy fare better than the version we all know ? I’ve always curious about it.
I think it would have. I mean, the song's melody clearly lends itself to the sample, and we all know the sample had huge success for StealHo. Would it have done as well? Who knows, but I think it would have probably been enough to give it that push to at least get her another #1 without having to resort to selling it for 49 cents.
Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

March 13th, 2018, 11:25 am #18

I believe you can hear how Loverboy sounded with the original sample on the first trailer for Glitter. Its not much but you can get a little grab of it. I definitely think it worked better but it still pretty amazing Mariah was able to dump it, gut the song and get another sample to use so well. 

March 13th, 2018, 11:29 am #19

I really wish Mariah had, when performing it on the SSFT, done the original version with the Firecracker sample. Petty and shade filled it would be, but I would LIVE!
Wrapped up in a shady tortilla

March 13th, 2018, 4:18 pm #20

I always thought Loverboy would have done way better if she had just sang it in full voice. People were already giving her hell for her voice, saying she was losing it and whispering too much. Loverboy was even more whispered than ever, plus it sounded like she had a cold.