Moderators: Mamod Collector, joiner, Spokesmann

Spokesmann
Administrator
Administrator
Joined: June 7th, 2007, 11:39 pm

December 30th, 2009, 10:31 pm #31

Maybe H. I have do something about this, I already get one individual who passes off my 'research' lets say, almost word for word be it from posts here or my web site. And no Im not talking about idiot from Lincs. All part of the penalty for running a forum I suppose.
Quote
Like
Share

Manxman
SE1 - Steam enthusiast 1 star
Manxman
SE1 - Steam enthusiast 1 star
Joined: August 16th, 2007, 7:21 pm

December 30th, 2009, 10:37 pm #32

I'm not talking about any underhand people. If you know of those, throw them out. I'm just thinking of the people who enjoy reading threads and looking at pics and are causing no problems to anyone.

Keep em in and encourage them to post. :)
Manx, the Mobile Man
Quote
Like
Share

Spokesmann
Administrator
Administrator
Joined: June 7th, 2007, 11:39 pm

December 30th, 2009, 10:38 pm #33

Manxman wrote:I'm not talking about any underhand people. If you know of those, throw them out. I'm just thinking of the people who enjoy reading threads and looking at pics and are causing no problems to anyone.

Keep em in and encourage them to post. :)
Thats the toughie Chris!

A challenge for 2010. :)
Quote
Like
Share

Manxman
SE1 - Steam enthusiast 1 star
Manxman
SE1 - Steam enthusiast 1 star
Joined: August 16th, 2007, 7:21 pm

December 31st, 2009, 7:45 am #34

Maybe not. Why can't you post a nice clear 'sticky' on say 1st Jan. Asking everyone who is a member, but doesn't post at all, (or very often) to send you a short pm, asking to stay involved.

Maybe also say that anyone who is removed by mistake can re-join without problems. Say it's just 'house keeping' and not intended to be a way of losing any proper members. People must have joined once before so it shouldn't be any harder to re-new membership.

Then hold off the clean up until maybe 1st Feb.

Surely, that would help. :?
Manx, the Mobile Man
Quote
Like
Share

Spokesmann
Administrator
Administrator
Joined: June 7th, 2007, 11:39 pm

December 31st, 2009, 8:20 am #35

Maybe the PM route would be best first. I have cleared out a lot of deadwood over this year, else our membership would have been a flattering 200+
Quote
Like
Share

avenger
SE3 - Steam enthusiast 3 star
Joined: June 14th, 2007, 3:31 pm

December 31st, 2009, 9:36 am #36

Manxman wrote:Maybe not. Why can't you post a nice clear 'sticky' on say 1st Jan. Asking everyone who is a member, but doesn't post at all, (or very often) to send you a short pm, asking to stay involved.

Maybe also say that anyone who is removed by mistake can re-join without problems. Say it's just 'house keeping' and not intended to be a way of losing any proper members. People must have joined once before so it shouldn't be any harder to re-new membership.

Then hold off the clean up until maybe 1st Feb.

Surely, that would help. :?
Have to say i like Manxman's idea and I dont see why anyone should be offended.
Quote
Like
Share

John Chapman
SE2 - Steam enthusiast 2 star
Joined: June 13th, 2007, 4:01 pm

December 31st, 2009, 10:05 am #37

I think that Manxman's idea is a sound one.  I joined a model railway forum a while back and enjoyed reading the threads and studying the pictures.  I picked up a lot of good information but never posted as I did not feel I could add anything useful to the topics.  I was very annoyed when I was suddenly deleted from membership with out any warning or any attempt at contact.  Needless to say I have not rejoined and now have found another model railway forum and have gone on to become an active member.
Quote
Like
Share

Franco
SE1 - Steam enthusiast 1 star
Franco
SE1 - Steam enthusiast 1 star
Joined: June 14th, 2009, 9:52 am

December 31st, 2009, 3:16 pm #38

Manxman wrote:Maybe not. Why can't you post a nice clear 'sticky' on say 1st Jan. Asking everyone who is a member, but doesn't post at all, (or very often) to send you a short pm, asking to stay involved.

Maybe also say that anyone who is removed by mistake can re-join without problems. Say it's just 'house keeping' and not intended to be a way of losing any proper members. People must have joined once before so it shouldn't be any harder to re-new membership.

Then hold off the clean up until maybe 1st Feb.

Surely, that would help. :?
Sound thinking!- there must be others like me, with modest collections and who are new to the hobby. I don't usually have too much to say, but I've learned a lot from the posts of other members.         Franco.
Quote
Like
Share

big d
SE1 - Steam enthusiast 1 star
big d
SE1 - Steam enthusiast 1 star
Joined: May 1st, 2008, 8:33 pm

January 1st, 2010, 1:03 pm #39

would signing in regular be enough to stay on the forum if not bye bye
Quote
Like
Share

Manxman
SE1 - Steam enthusiast 1 star
Manxman
SE1 - Steam enthusiast 1 star
Joined: August 16th, 2007, 7:21 pm

January 1st, 2010, 8:08 pm #40

big d wrote:would signing in regular be enough to stay on the forum if not bye bye
That's the point. It should be but the forum has sufferd in again in recent times by members of the 'other' forum 'logging on' just to cause upset.

Now I'm a member of both forums and would like nothing better than 2010 being the year both forums could grow up and support each other rather than fight.

So, I agree, I'd love see those that are not the most active, but harming no-one being allowed to stay. I can't see why a short pm to Mike should hurt and it will keep membership active.

People who are 'logging in' just to cause problems may be dropped.
Manx, the Mobile Man
Quote
Like
Share

joiner
Administrator
Administrator
Joined: June 12th, 2007, 6:10 pm

January 1st, 2010, 8:17 pm #41

Manxman wrote:
big d wrote:would signing in regular be enough to stay on the forum if not bye bye
That's the point. It should be but the forum has sufferd in again in recent times by members of the 'other' forum 'logging on' just to cause upset.

Now I'm a member of both forums and would like nothing better than 2010 being the year both forums could grow up and support each other rather than fight.

So, I agree, I'd love see those that are not the most active, but harming no-one being allowed to stay. I can't see why a short pm to Mike should hurt and it will keep membership active.

People who are 'logging in' just to cause problems may be dropped.
Well Said we are all into steam why all this bickering its got to stop
then we all might get on with what the forums are about STEAM
Please support us on the National Steam Ship Preservation by joining the Forum.
https://steamships.org.uk/forums

Quote
Like
Share


John Chapman
SE2 - Steam enthusiast 2 star
Joined: June 13th, 2007, 4:01 pm

January 2nd, 2010, 10:45 am #43

Manxman wrote:
big d wrote:would signing in regular be enough to stay on the forum if not bye bye
That's the point. It should be but the forum has sufferd in again in recent times by members of the 'other' forum 'logging on' just to cause upset.

Now I'm a member of both forums and would like nothing better than 2010 being the year both forums could grow up and support each other rather than fight.

So, I agree, I'd love see those that are not the most active, but harming no-one being allowed to stay. I can't see why a short pm to Mike should hurt and it will keep membership active.

People who are 'logging in' just to cause problems may be dropped.
I couldn't agree more Chris, well said.
Quote
Like
Share

MFSteam
MFSteam

January 3rd, 2010, 4:45 pm #44

Manxman wrote:
big d wrote: Now I'm a member of both forums and would like nothing better than 2010 being the year both forums could grow up and support each other rather than fight.
It would appear that there is no hope of this now :roll:
Quote
Share

John Chapman
SE2 - Steam enthusiast 2 star
Joined: June 13th, 2007, 4:01 pm

January 3rd, 2010, 5:27 pm #45

MFSteam wrote: It would appear that there is no hope of this now :roll:
Sadly I would have to agree with that Ian.  It's all a bit pathetic really and doesn't do anybody any good.
Quote
Like
Share

Confirmation of reply: