Alison's Interactive Adventures In The Dd

LG_stephy
Regular

November 8th, 2014, 1:47 am #1

Hello there.
As the title of this thread would suggest, I have been working on a game set in Princess Pottypants' 'diaper dimension.' Right now, I have very, very little content. All in all, if you interact with everything and everyone available, it totals in at a little over six minutes of game play. And, I use the term 'game play' in the loosest sense. The game as it stands is entirely linear with no real opportunity to impact progression. It basically introduces you to the protagonist and sets the scene for the fate that is awaiting them. There are no battles yet and there is no accident script in place.

This is however the first chapter of the game. I was planning to release this by chapter. However, this is more of a prologue than anything else. Therefore, I would like to ask...
Would you, the community of Fox Tails Times, prefer to see what I have now or wait until I have more to offer?

Just for the record, this game was made in RPG Maker XP.

If any of you have any other questions, comments or concerns, feel free to address them ^.^

Alison's Interactive Adventures in the Diaper Dimension Download
FIVE TONS OF FLAX!!!!!

Melkinit

November 8th, 2014, 2:23 am #2

Never say no to another rpg. I'd love to see what you have.

SageFan
Lurker
SageFan
Lurker

November 8th, 2014, 2:33 am #3

Go for it, regardless of the amount you have done it's good to give us something to look forward to

LG_stephy
Regular

November 8th, 2014, 5:04 am #4

Alright.
Here's what I have so far.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

Also, if you don't have the RPG Maker XP RTP, you'll obviously need it.
FIVE TONS OF FLAX!!!!!

Melkinit

November 8th, 2014, 7:13 am #5

Cool, just played through.

Love some of your ideas so far, can't wait for the school themed stuff to play out. Can't comment on characters/gameplay/plot yet, as it is obviously early.

I do however have some initial pieces of advice, if you're keen to hear it.

From the narration perspective;

-I would personally back off of the victimhood ideation in the first few minutes. A few lines of bullying are all you need to elicit audience sympathy. For these sorts of emotions, avoid spelling it out, less is more.

-Fitting in to the previous point, less narration is more. Avoid excessive narration in the first person for RPGS, as it restricts the readers ability to project. A particular example is the scene in the headmistresses office. Use the characters name, or refer to the events as happening to the reader, rather then an external entity. IE, use name/he/she, or you, you're etc. Then stick with that narrative structure. When you use I, ME etc, it is isolating, esp from the perspective of a roll playing game. Even if the character being narrated is not expected for the audience to identify with. This is because we don't expect to read a persons mind if we aren't relating directly to them (unless it is information given godlike), but if we are relating directly to the character, we should be able to infer what the character is thinking from our own thoughts. That's why we relate to them.

-Even if they are placeholders, facial portraits will help get your ideas across.

A thought from an rpg maker xp stantpoint;

the sprite sizes you have chosen will give you problems long term if you want to do anything detailed with them. It will be limiting down the road if the main character is so small, especially if you want to put in custom animations. Maybe switch perpective at a certain story point, to make normal humans seem much larger?

baboon
Regular
baboon
Regular

November 8th, 2014, 9:51 am #6

Yesss! I love PP's diaper dimension, and love the concept of your game. Super kawaii. Umm not much else to say since it's just a short demo.. but I'm really excited to see more!

LG_stephy
Regular

November 8th, 2014, 5:19 pm #7

Melkinit @ Nov 8 2014, 01:13 AM wrote:
I do however have some initial pieces of advice, if you're keen to hear it.

From the narration perspective;

-I would personally back off of the victimhood ideation in the first few minutes. A few lines of bullying are all you need to elicit audience sympathy. For these sorts of emotions, avoid spelling it out, less is more.

-Fitting in to the previous point, less narration is more. Avoid excessive narration in the first person for RPGS, as it restricts the readers ability to project. A particular example is the scene in the headmistresses office. Use the characters name, or refer to the events as happening to the reader, rather then an external entity. IE, use name/he/she, or you, you're etc. Then stick with that narrative structure. When you use I, ME etc, it is isolating, esp from the perspective of a roll playing game. Even if the character being narrated is not expected for the audience to identify with. This is because we don't expect to read a persons mind if we aren't relating directly to them (unless it is information given godlike), but if we are relating directly to the character, we should be able to infer what the character is thinking from our own thoughts. That's why we relate to them.

-Even if they are placeholders, facial portraits will help get your ideas across.

A thought from an rpg maker xp stantpoint;

the sprite sizes you have chosen will give you problems long term if you want to do anything detailed with them. It will be limiting down the road if the main character is so small, especially if you want to put in custom animations. Maybe switch perpective at a certain story point, to make normal humans seem much larger?

The scorn of the classmates is something that is unlikely to be continued throughout the rest of the game. However, in that particular setting, I believe it may have been appropriate. The life of a dwarf in this world is an isolating and demeaning one. These are regular humans that have to attend school with what they see as inferior creatures. In our world, kids can be extremely cruel. In this one, it's likely to be even more intense. Being surrounded by moderates is not something that will occur very often from now on though. Still, if I receive this complaint from others, I might modify that section a bit.

In a different game, I probably would back off from the first person perspective. However, I kind of like the idea of a first person perspective given the source material. You're meant to guide Alison. You're meant to experience her turmoils with her... but in this case, you're not really meant to BE her. Aside from that, Alison is a very introspective kind of person. I'm also approaching this largely as a writer first and a game designer later. This is going to be a game... there are going to be challenges to overcome. But, it's going to be just as much an interactive story. At least, that's what my current plans are. Again, I would like to hear from other people. I have rather particular ideas as to what I want to do. However, that doesn't mean that I'm unwilling to compromise. If a lot of other people also agree with you on this matter, I'll see what I can do to meet you and them halfway.

Facial portraits are actually something that I would really like to do... I admit, I'm not completely sure how to implement that. I am still very new to RPG Maker. If anyone can explain this a bit more to me, I'd appreciate it ^.^

The problem with making humans larger would be the issue with giants... If humans are simply larger than the regular sprites, giants would have to be gargantuan. That could also cause some issues. Then, there's the issue with resizing all of the furniture to work when I feel like I could be doing something more important. Aside from that, I don't really know what I would do with custom animations. Admittedly, because of my skill level, I am worried that this game is going to wind up being very behind the times.

This probably would have fit in better with the first generation of ABDL RPG Maker games. A lot of this is unlikely to be too advanced. But, for what it is, I am hoping that people will be able to enjoy the ride. As of right now, I certainly wouldn't expect anything like Momsterous or Mae out of this though. CS Fox and Colette are extremely experienced and talented game makers. Frankly, comparing my work to theirs would be doing us all a disservice.

And, all of this is subject to change as time goes on. I plan to learn more about RPG Maker. If need be, I can also go backwards and tune things up. Hell, after I finish it, maybe I'll fine tune and remaster it. But, we'll see what happens. Right now, I just hope that I'll have the discipline to finish the project.
FIVE TONS OF FLAX!!!!!

Melkinit

November 8th, 2014, 7:32 pm #8

LG_stephy @ Nov 8 2014, 11:19 AM wrote: The scorn of the classmates is something that is unlikely to be continued throughout the rest of the game. However, in that particular setting, I believe it may have been appropriate. The life of a dwarf in this world is an isolating and demeaning one. These are regular humans that have to attend school with what they see as inferior creatures. In our world, kids can be extremely cruel. In this one, it's likely to be even more intense. Being surrounded by moderates is not something that will occur very often from now on though. Still, if I receive this complaint from others, I might modify that section a bit.

In a different game, I probably would back off from the first person perspective. However, I kind of like the idea of a first person perspective given the source material. You're meant to guide Alison. You're meant to experience her turmoils with her... but in this case, you're not really meant to BE her. Aside from that, Alison is a very introspective kind of person. I'm also approaching this largely as a writer first and a game designer later. This is going to be a game... there are going to be challenges to overcome. But, it's going to be just as much an interactive story. At least, that's what my current plans are. Again, I would like to hear from other people. I have rather particular ideas as to what I want to do. However, that doesn't mean that I'm unwilling to compromise. If a lot of other people also agree with you on this matter, I'll see what I can do to meet you and them halfway.

Facial portraits are actually something that I would really like to do... I admit, I'm not completely sure how to implement that. I am still very new to RPG Maker. If anyone can explain this a bit more to me, I'd appreciate it ^.^

The problem with making humans larger would be the issue with giants... If humans are simply larger than the regular sprites, giants would have to be gargantuan. That could also cause some issues. Then, there's the issue with resizing all of the furniture to work when I feel like I could be doing something more important. Aside from that, I don't really know what I would do with custom animations. Admittedly, because of my skill level, I am worried that this game is going to wind up being very behind the times.

This probably would have fit in better with the first generation of ABDL RPG Maker games. A lot of this is unlikely to be too advanced. But, for what it is, I am hoping that people will be able to enjoy the ride. As of right now, I certainly wouldn't expect anything like Momsterous or Mae out of this though. CS Fox and Colette are extremely experienced and talented game makers. Frankly, comparing my work to theirs would be doing us all a disservice.

And, all of this is subject to change as time goes on. I plan to learn more about RPG Maker. If need be, I can also go backwards and tune things up. Hell, after I finish it, maybe I'll fine tune and remaster it. But, we'll see what happens. Right now, I just hope that I'll have the discipline to finish the project.

I'm not really complaining, just my opinion how to present the concept more realistically. Even the worst examples of prejudice in history, the 'oppressive' majority tend to act with benign indifference rather then active persecution. It's just that they do nothing to prevent the handful of sadistic assholes who carry out the actual oppression. That is all I'm getting at.

I guess I'll just have to see more regarding the first person usage. I think if you want an example of what I'm talking about, pay attention to the narration of Mae. It is an excellent example of what I'm talking about, and it also fits the narration style you want.

As for portraits, when you select 'show text box' there is a box that allows the addition of a face. If you have faces loaded into your data library they will appear there. Let me know if you have problems with this.

Yeah, you are going to have problems creating custom sprites to fit this world, so I see your dilemma. It would be possible to do what I was mentioning, but you're right, ALOT of work.

LG_stephy
Regular

November 8th, 2014, 7:51 pm #9

Melkinit @ Nov 8 2014, 01:32 PM wrote: I'm not really complaining, just my opinion how to present the concept more realistically. Even the worst examples of prejudice in history, the 'oppressive' majority tend to act with benign indifference rather then active persecution. It's just that they do nothing to prevent the handful of sadistic assholes who carry out the actual oppression. That is all I'm getting at.

I guess I'll just have to see more regarding the first person usage. I think if you want an example of what I'm talking about, pay attention to the narration of Mae. It is an excellent example of what I'm talking about, and it also fits the narration style you want.

As for portraits, when you select 'show text box' there is a box that allows the addition of a face. If you have faces loaded into your data library they will appear there. Let me know if you have problems with this.

Yeah, you are going to have problems creating custom sprites to fit this world, so I see your dilemma. It would be possible to do what I was mentioning, but you're right, ALOT of work.

Well, the worst examples of prejudice in history involve beating and murder... but obviously, I don't intend to go quite that far XD
And perhaps my own childhood experiences aren't exactly the norm, but from what I've experienced, as well as what I've heard from others, children can be cruel and sadistic. Often times, they're far crueler than what I have portrayed. Anyone different is often ostracized. Snide remarks are pretty tame, all things considered. Interactions with other students lead to a lot of 'don't bother me' type responses. They aren't necessarily cruel... they just don't want to deal with you. Others are condescending or downright threatening. Frankly, it feels a lot like how my middle school as an outcast did. I drew a little bit of inspiration from that.

Of course, you're entitled to your opinions. I really want to hear your opinions. Even if we disagree, it gives me an opportunity to look at this from another person's perspective. I really need that if I'm going to make a game that I plan to show off to an audience. From there, I'll decide what to implement/change and what to keep the same. But it's valuable nevertheless. I look forward to seeing what other people have to say on the topic as well.

I know what you mean in regards to the first person perspective having a different feeling that might put off a lot of players. A lot of games go about this in a completely different fashion. I kind of want to try something new. Again, I really want this to feel like an interactive story. In my opinion at least, that's the best way to go about honoring the original. Next time I play through Mae, I'll give a closer look though to see if I can get a better idea though.

When you mention 'show text box,' do you mean the first option in the event commands labeled 'show text?' If so, I'm afraid that I don't see what you're talking about. It might be because I don't have any faces in the library though. I'm not really sure how to go about attaining them. I'm an incredibly shoddy artist so doing them myself isn't really an option. Do you happen to know if such resources exist online for the characters already in RPG Maker? Regardless, I'll have to put more research into this. TO GOOGLE!

Yeah... because of the nature of the world, sprites might give me some issues.
I'll work around it the best that I can though without making too much extra work for myself.
After all, if there's too much tedium involved, I'm afraid that I would grow too bored and give up.
It's one thing with the expected work I'll have to put in but if it feels as all unnecessary to me, it could cause my already lacking discipline to waver further.
FIVE TONS OF FLAX!!!!!

CS_Fox
Noticable Member
CS_Fox
Noticable Member

November 9th, 2014, 12:27 am #10

Fun game so far! I'm a big fan of this type of fetish. Can't wait to see where it goes.

I poked around XP, I'm not sure there's a way to do facial graphics... at least its not built in like it was with RPG maker 2k, 2k3, VX and VX Ace... You could alternatively do body portraits which I've seen other XP games do.

Check this link: http://www.rpgmakervxace.net/topic/14609-d...-update-5-9-13/

Use a portrait like the larger one, and on the new event page of XP, go to the second tab, show picture, and you'll have to play with the X/Y location to figure out where you want it to display. Erase the picture and show a different picture when someone else is talking. Its not the most elegant solution, but with XP its probably what you'll be stuck with. You could make your own portraits, you'll just need them to be png's with transparent backgrounds.

If you want, hit me up, I have a collection of these kinds of portraits for all the default actors, but never found a use for them.

In all seriousness though, if you're looking ahead at making a big game, I really recommend going with a later version of RPG maker. VX Ace is a lot more robust in its features (for instance, can mod ruby scripts to adapt the game; or for the more beginner user, you can use a lot more tileset sprites for a map) and the base programming is the same, just more intuitive.