Muskies vs Kingston Oct. 28th

Muskies vs Kingston Oct. 28th

Joined: October 22nd, 2005, 2:16 am

October 29th, 2011, 2:42 am #1

The Kingston Voyageurs made their second trip of the season to the Lindsay Recreation Complex Friday night to take on the Muskies. What turned out to be an entertaining game though ended disappointingly for the home fans as the Muskies came up on the wrong end of a 4-3 score.

The Muskies came out with some early pressure, but Kingston were able to whether the storm. The Voyageurs are not the same team that the Fish dealt with early in the season, due in large part to Justin Gilbert, the starting goaltender for Kingston. Gilbert came up big early making a glove save on Muskie forward J.P. Villeneuve to keep the scoreboard blank, but shortly afterward on a delayed Kingston penalty Dean Klomp scored his team leading 12th of the year at 5:16. The only assist went to Joel Wetmore although Ryan Zupancic had led an end to end rush to start the play. The Fish were able to double their lead at 11:36 when Villeneuve netted his 7th from Patrick Thornton. Kingston were not about to go down without a fight though and just under two minutes later it was Kyle Wilhelm scoring from Greg Trichilo and Patrick Harrisson at 13:21. At 15:32 the Voyageurs beat Muskie's starter Mitch Maraschiello to tie the game at two. The goal went to Brian Nanne assisted by Michael Schug. Maraschiello came into the game with a record of 3 and 3, had a GAA of 2.93 and a save percentage of .900. The Muskies looked to regain the lead as they got ready for a five on three advantage late in the period, but they took a penalty of their own which negated that and an entertaining period ended tied at two.

Early in the second frame the visitors went on the powerplay but it was the Muskies who generated the best scoring chance when Wetmore sped around the goal forcing Gilbert to make a fine split save. The Muskies were then denied a goal by a quick whistle. A shot into the Kingston netminders chest somehow sqirted through and lay behind him but just before the Muskies jammed the puck in the referee blew the play dead as he had lost sight of the puck. At 10:57 Kingston took their first lead of the game when Graham Yeo converted an odd man rush by firing a shot over the glove of Maraschiello. The assists went to Schug and Harrisson. The Fish came close to tying the game when Thornton ripped a shot off the post just off the start of a powerplay. The Muskies ended the period with a flurry but were unable to score. Reid Jackman had an excellent chance in the slot, but his shot just went wide and the period ended with Kingston leading 3-2.

Not long into the third the Voyageurs nearly got some insurance as a shot redirected in front of the Lindsay goal, but Maraschiello was able to do the splits to make a sharp save. With just over 10 minutes left Villeneuve had a chance in front of the goal off a scramble and just put the puck over the goal. The Muskies were finally able to tie the game when Matt Wildman was able jam home a rebound of a Bryan Kolodziejczyk shot at 12:48. The goal was Wildman's 2nd of the year. The other assist went to Trevor Smith. Once again Kingston were able to regain the lead though at 14:17 when Greg Trichilo scored from Steve McParland and Kyle Wilhelm. The Muskies were awarded a powerplay with 1:35 remaining and pulled their goaltender at that point, but were unable to get the equalizer, despite a couple of good chances.

The game marked the fourth straight loss for Lindsay who's record now stands at 8 wins and 7 losses, and it was the third one goal loss in a row.

After the game Head Coach Paul Mattucci was upbeat despite the outcome. When asked about the three consecutive one goal losses he said that's just an indication of how tight things are in this division.

I thought we played hard tonight, he said. We out chanced them and played with a lot of heart, and I'm proud of their effort. He went on to say that with a couple of timely bounces they will turn this around, and when they do the team will be stronger because of this bit of adversity.

The Muskies were without the services of J.C. Campagna for this one as he was assessed a four game suspension after Tuesday night's game in Peterborough for firing the puck down the ice after the game had ended. The official deemed the play an attempt to injure resulting in the suspension.

The next game for the Muskies is Sunday evening in Wellington.