Mark Perryman

Mark Perryman

Perry Striker
Perry Striker

July 2nd, 2010, 9:15 pm #1

Is the Mark Perryman of the so-called England (football) supporters club the same Perryman who was a rabid "euro-communist" and semi writer for Marxism Today and Seven Days in the mid-late 1980s? We all assumed at the time he was a police-man. He was even then so viciously right wing and extreme. My goodness, he has aged very badly.

Francis King
Francis King

July 2nd, 2010, 10:37 pm #2

Mark is still around, and seems to be mainly concerned with his "Philosophy Football" business, which markets football shirts with various left-wing designs and does a lot of work with Searchlight and its "Hope not Hate" campaign. Last time I saw him he was at an anti-war demo, leafletting for George Galloway's Respect party. I remember I disagreed with a lot of Mark's positions in the final years of the CPGB. But I don't think it's really fair to describe him as "viciously right wing".

Harsanyi_Janos
Harsanyi_Janos

July 2nd, 2010, 11:20 pm #3

Is the Mark Perryman of the so-called England (football) supporters club the same Perryman who was a rabid "euro-communist" and semi writer for Marxism Today and Seven Days in the mid-late 1980s? We all assumed at the time he was a police-man. He was even then so viciously right wing and extreme. My goodness, he has aged very badly.
Yes, he is the same person. He came out with an awful book a few years ago -- amazing Lawrence and Wishart published it http://www.lwbooks.co.uk/books/archive/ ... ation.html)

Mark Perryperson
Mark Perryperson

July 3rd, 2010, 7:15 am #4

I found mark to be remarkably personable, unlike the genuinely "rabid" Euros.
I'm sure the rest of us are ageing gracefully

Perry Striker
Perry Striker

July 3rd, 2010, 3:43 pm #5

Absolutely! Us Kirovites just get more and more attractive as we mature...

Albert Inkpin
Albert Inkpin

July 6th, 2010, 2:39 pm #6

Mark is still around, and seems to be mainly concerned with his "Philosophy Football" business, which markets football shirts with various left-wing designs and does a lot of work with Searchlight and its "Hope not Hate" campaign. Last time I saw him he was at an anti-war demo, leafletting for George Galloway's Respect party. I remember I disagreed with a lot of Mark's positions in the final years of the CPGB. But I don't think it's really fair to describe him as "viciously right wing".
Yes, Mark Perryman was/is a member of Respect and stayed in the half that supported George Galloway, and not the SWP.

Here's an article he wrote about left politics in general, and Respect in particular

http://www.redpepper.org.uk/Agency-for-change

A couple of very sensible points he made in the article were (1) He acknowledged the strength of the SWP, and, despite disliking them, wrote that the Stop the War Coalition wouldn't have existed without them. (2) He criticised narrow approaches to building alliances as "a politics whose sum total of alliance building seems to stretch as far as the Morning Star and Bob Crow"!

Albert