CPB 54th Congress to be cancelled

CPB 54th Congress to be cancelled

Inside Track
Inside Track

September 11th, 2016, 1:35 pm #1

The CPB Executive Committee is set to announce the cancellation of the November 54th Congress, essentially due to lack of interest.

Congress branch meetings have recorded their lowest attendances ever.

The EC resolution has attracted negligible comments and amendments.

The Pre Congress Discussion which was meant to have commenced at the beginning of July has still not been set up.

There are possibly around 100 members who are bothered enough to even attend branch meetings, even Congress branch meetings, let alone be described as in any way active.

September 11th, 2016, 10:45 pm #2

The above message will in fact ensure that the Congress will go ahead as cancellation would confirm that what "Inside Track" says is true.

Acquaintance of BG
Acquaintance of BG

September 12th, 2016, 11:09 am #3

Desperate stuff from the same double act of anti-CPB muckspreaders on this site. Their last effort couldn't even get the name of Bill Greenshields right, let alone anything about his political views, health, relations with Griffiths (their families have just had another holiday together) etc. Who benefits from this campaign of lies and smears?

September 12th, 2016, 11:31 am #4

The above message will in fact ensure that the Congress will go ahead as cancellation would confirm that what "Inside Track" says is true.
So if it goes ahead Inside Track will have forced it to take place, while if it does not Inside Track will have been right. Inside Track cannot lose!

Racetrack
Racetrack

September 13th, 2016, 6:09 pm #5

That did make me smile...!

Francis King
Francis King

September 14th, 2016, 8:27 pm #6

...it would be interesting to hear how the CPB has been faring recently, given the migration of most of the available energy on the British left towards supporting Jeremy Corbyn.

Neil
Neil

September 15th, 2016, 12:28 pm #7

I think you've answered your own question there Francis.

Harsanyi_Janos
Harsanyi_Janos

September 15th, 2016, 6:07 pm #8

I don't know whether the Congress will go ahead or not, but I really doubt that a post by an anonymous critic will be the difference.

Betty Brown
Betty Brown

September 15th, 2016, 10:35 pm #9

The CPB Executive Committee is set to announce the cancellation of the November 54th Congress, essentially due to lack of interest.

Congress branch meetings have recorded their lowest attendances ever.

The EC resolution has attracted negligible comments and amendments.

The Pre Congress Discussion which was meant to have commenced at the beginning of July has still not been set up.

There are possibly around 100 members who are bothered enough to even attend branch meetings, even Congress branch meetings, let alone be described as in any way active.
At least when the Daily Mail published the mysterious insider track of the "Zinoviev letter", it at least carried some intellectual interest and some creative panache, unlike the childish effort that begun this thread.

Now, far be it from me to suggest that an anonymous "inside" voice spewing forth on the forthcoming (relatively minor) British CP congress is anything like trying to scupper the CPGB in it's infancy, but I suspect that the same mischievous outlook and spirit are common to both. But at least the authors of the "Zinoviev letter" were probably quite honest among themselves about their anti-communist outlook - its probably how they got the gig in the first place!

From what I see the CPB comrades & friends seem to be doing stuff, or at least attempting things - which is probably what catches the ire of some individuals who apparently do sweet FA, and resent those that even try.

I know various colleagues who have regular branch meetings, but they are the first to say that branches across the country need building up and strengthening. But the Communist Renewal local discussions seem to be fruitful, and I certainly have heard of real growth of activists politically, if not at the necessarily numerical growth yet.

Which brings me on to the Corbyn effect. Some have lazily taken the interest in Corbyn's anti austerity message as a stick to beat Communist with - "is the CPB suffering" etc?
But this immature poisonous glee could equally be applied to why Trade Union membership hasn't blossomed proportionally in the rush to join Labour. Some "Former Communists" who like sticking it to actual real-world modern day Communists (with their attendant limitations) seem afraid to follow through on the logic of their position - and I suspect is because like the plot of some clichéd horror thriller, at the end they would realise that THEY are the dead and gone ghosts lingering on in complete delusion, and those whom they have been attacking are what they boasted they once were.

As an aside, I did notice that there's been a really worthwhile event on 80 years since the International Brigades in Scotland. If anyone is lacking warmth in their political blood or some fire in their bones, I'd recommend you watch some of it. It features Ernst Thalmann's grand-daughter along with others.
http://morningstarscotland.org/video/14 ... nniversary

Wake up Lil Suzy
Wake up Lil Suzy

September 16th, 2016, 8:12 pm #10

Nigel Farage retired as UKIP leader today. He recounted to the UKIP Conference how he transformed UKIP and its odd predecessors over the past twenty years from complete and total marginal irrelevance into a major national and electoral force, and changing British society, probably forever. For good or for ill, is a matter of debate.

Robert Griffiths in one of his pamphlets mocked how Farage looked. Coming from the ever inflating barrage balloon, that is something.

Griffo took over the CPB in 1998 and what impact has his leadership made to the CPB into a major leading and transformative force in British society??

Errr...down to one hundred “activists” tops and absolutely pointless votes in elections.

“Communist Renewal”??? So one or two of the hundred feel a little more energised than they did previously... Big deal.

Is the CPB today even more irrelevant to national life than it was in 1998? Difficult to judge on such minutiae, hard to detect significant changes in the amoeba...

I would make a comment about “arteriosclerosis” but wouldn’t want to be seen as attacking “Bob” Greenshields.... A new drain on society's resources...