cam eccentric hits timing cover on 351w. What do I do?

cam eccentric hits timing cover on 351w. What do I do?

Paul Lovett
Paul Lovett

November 5th, 2006, 7:21 pm #1

Hey all, I'm buildind a SBF for the first time and have hit a snag. It's a 1984 351w block. I put an Elgin Industries cam and double roller timing chain in it. I have a factory timing cover year unknown.

When I try to put the timing cover on it hits the fuel pump eccentric. The timing gear and fuel pump eccentric seem to stick out about 1/8 inch too far for the timing cover to mate with the block. The fuel pump eccentric is from Ford Racing Parts and is part M-6287-302B if I remember right. I have another eccentric which looks shallower and would probably fit under the timng cover, but it has 7/16" cam bolt hole rather than the 3/8" hole I need for my cam.

Soooooo, what do I do?

1) find a shallower fuel pump eccentric?
2) grind the forward face my existing fuel pump eccentric down so it fits under the timing cover?
3) find a deeper timing cover?
4)???????

Number 2 makes the most sense to me, but like I said this is my first SBF build.

What do y'all think?

Thanks,

Paul Lovett

Dan
Dan

November 5th, 2006, 10:39 pm #2

check the oil deflector on inside of cover. 7/16 hole is frpp / 3/8 stock the last i knew eccentric one piece (early) dosnt fit late model upper sprocket

ralph d
ralph d

November 6th, 2006, 1:44 am #3

Hey all, I'm buildind a SBF for the first time and have hit a snag. It's a 1984 351w block. I put an Elgin Industries cam and double roller timing chain in it. I have a factory timing cover year unknown.

When I try to put the timing cover on it hits the fuel pump eccentric. The timing gear and fuel pump eccentric seem to stick out about 1/8 inch too far for the timing cover to mate with the block. The fuel pump eccentric is from Ford Racing Parts and is part M-6287-302B if I remember right. I have another eccentric which looks shallower and would probably fit under the timng cover, but it has 7/16" cam bolt hole rather than the 3/8" hole I need for my cam.

Soooooo, what do I do?

1) find a shallower fuel pump eccentric?
2) grind the forward face my existing fuel pump eccentric down so it fits under the timing cover?
3) find a deeper timing cover?
4)???????

Number 2 makes the most sense to me, but like I said this is my first SBF build.

What do y'all think?

Thanks,

Paul Lovett
my first 351w had that problem as well as I used the wrong cam thrust plate, what a mess as mine went together, Do yourself a favor and take off the eccentric and install an electric fuel pump, if yo want the stock look just install the mech pump and leave it there for looks less the eccentric.

Choco
Choco

November 6th, 2006, 8:08 am #4

Same here, check your cam retianing/thrust plate.
I had a similar issue and it was because i hadn't grinded of the metal around the thrust plate so that it cleared the thicker cam gear.
Easy to check. tighten the cam bolt and see if you can still turn the cam.

Cheers
Choco

bmcdaniel
bmcdaniel

November 6th, 2006, 2:08 pm #5

I too had the same issue using a 1-piece eccentric with a late timing set. Comparing the late cam sprocket with an early one I found the late sprocket to be .100" thicker so I milled .100" of the face of the sprocket.

Gregg/Ohio
Gregg/Ohio

November 7th, 2006, 3:17 am #6

Your problem lies with the fact that you have a mismatch of Timing gear set,and the 1 piece fuel pump cup. Your Cam gear was for the 2 piece cup!,Unless you have a really hot motor (550+HP)The 2 piece cup is just fine. About 10 dollars at your local parts store. Gregg M.

Gregg/Ohio
Gregg/Ohio

November 8th, 2006, 2:21 am #7

Sorry,but I failed to add,(In the above post) You must use the short camshaft dowel pin,when you use the two piece fuel pump cup.

Paul Lovett
Paul Lovett

November 9th, 2006, 12:51 pm #8

check the oil deflector on inside of cover. 7/16 hole is frpp / 3/8 stock the last i knew eccentric one piece (early) dosnt fit late model upper sprocket
The cam eccentric actually hits the inner face of the timing cover. I can see where because the grease on the eccentric transferred to the timing cover where they contacted. Good thought, though.

Paul

Paul Lovett
Paul Lovett

November 9th, 2006, 12:53 pm #9

my first 351w had that problem as well as I used the wrong cam thrust plate, what a mess as mine went together, Do yourself a favor and take off the eccentric and install an electric fuel pump, if yo want the stock look just install the mech pump and leave it there for looks less the eccentric.
Doesn't make sense for this mild application. That would solve the problem once and for all, though.

Paul

Paul Lovett
Paul Lovett

November 9th, 2006, 12:55 pm #10

Same here, check your cam retianing/thrust plate.
I had a similar issue and it was because i hadn't grinded of the metal around the thrust plate so that it cleared the thicker cam gear.
Easy to check. tighten the cam bolt and see if you can still turn the cam.

Cheers
Choco
So I don't think there are any interference issues between the thrust plate and timing gear. Thanks for the idea anyway.

Paul