will wide ratio AOD planetary set interchange with FMX?

will wide ratio AOD planetary set interchange with FMX?

September 16th, 2010, 11:08 pm #1

I was wondering if they will interchange because i have the original FMX in my 69 cougar and also have a vintage Hone-O-Drive that I will be using in it. I want to run a 3.25 gearset that I have but I would like to have better acceleration of like a 3.70 or 3.89 gearset but with the mileage capability of the 3.25's with the Hone unit. I realize that it would probably be easier to just run a wide ratio AOD, but where's the fun in that?

truck doctor
truck doctor

September 16th, 2010, 11:50 pm #2

the gear sets are not compatable the only thing they share is the tecknology of the compound gear set design. one thing that may interchang is the govenor. havent tryed that yet though.

September 21st, 2010, 4:42 am #3

I was wondering if they will interchange because i have the original FMX in my 69 cougar and also have a vintage Hone-O-Drive that I will be using in it. I want to run a 3.25 gearset that I have but I would like to have better acceleration of like a 3.70 or 3.89 gearset but with the mileage capability of the 3.25's with the Hone unit. I realize that it would probably be easier to just run a wide ratio AOD, but where's the fun in that?
I own a 70 Cougar with an original FMX+351C and have changed transmissions over and over again. After doing it all I think the stock FMX is great as-is. Put some 3.50 gears in and you'll find the right balance.
I changed to an AOD and C6 then to a low-ratio C6 and found very little change in performance. And by the way my Cougar runs 11.20's in street trim so it's not lacking in power.

The AOD can be a lot of fun once it's set up but a stroker engine can cure a bad gear ratio any day!