To all the experts out there

To all the experts out there

September 17th, 2009, 9:45 pm #1

I have a Super Stock Pulling Truck that I run a C6 Auto in. Over the off-season my Buddy was going to build me an E4od with Electric lock up for it. NO computer just turn on the solenoids using switches seeing I pull in 3rd gear anyway, And then put a micro switch on my hand throttle to lock the converter up at any giving time I like.

Now plans are to roll it out of the hole to get things moving then mate it at the 100' mark then hit the lock up to put all the power to the ground, and as the weight of the pan hits let the converter unlock and roll to a 300+ foot finish.

Now somebody said that the lock up might not like 1000+ h.p. Heres where I need your assistance. Will this work or should I look at a different option

Dan

SF
SF

September 18th, 2009, 1:12 pm #2

Never seen a converter that can handle that kind of power...the total surface area with the TQ you are asking it to hold is crazy....you need HIGH HIGH line pressure keep it applied, which introduces this pressure to the cooling curcuit as well....I don't see the converter lasting one pull even...but...find a guy who can say/proove otherwise.
I am about 99% you will be pulling this trans again and again for TCC issues.

Mac
Mac

September 19th, 2009, 5:41 pm #3

The effective area of the TC clutch is small and your asking for a dynamic application under a lot of torque. I dont think it would hold that load even under a static application. Maybe you should rethink your approach.
Mac

September 19th, 2009, 9:50 pm #4

OK Maybe it wouldn't hold if I'm run it one to one going down the highway Pulling a 30,000 pound sled that suddenly puts the brakes on.
But on the track where run it at 26 to 1 reduction. Yes there tons of torque but really I'm only spinning the wheels at 32 mph's.
And like I said I'd be letting go of the button before the sled put the real hurt on me.

Or would I be better off just sticking with the C6 that I've been running for the last 6 years.

Dan

Mac
Mac

September 19th, 2009, 10:11 pm #5

What advantage are you thinking of with the E40d over the C6.
Mac

September 19th, 2009, 10:17 pm #6

What I'm look to do is is put more power down to the track during the mid track 100' to 280' run.
My fellow pullers say I'm losing my mid track run because of converter slippage.

Dan

September 19th, 2009, 11:56 pm #7

What advantage are you thinking of with the E40d over the C6.
Mac
Talk to these guys...not sure how your application would work but you'll get rid of the converter slippage. http://www.wintersperformance.com/catal ... der/33.htm

Realistically I think you're getting a huge advantage coming out of the hole with the converter. Have you talked to some converter companies about a custom converter design for your app?

Mac
Mac

September 20th, 2009, 3:51 pm #8

That would be my recommendation. A custom convertor would be a much better choice than relying on a friction clutch under heavy torque.
Mac

Silverfox
Silverfox

September 21st, 2009, 6:15 pm #9

Not sure if there is an option out there...I might invent a ONE OFF unit if you can get the rest of the peices together....however there is some circle track guys that us powerglide trans, and they use the clutch peddle to dump line pressure away from the clutches - and when they apply, line pressure goes to the clutches....NO CONVERTER, just direct input shaft to the crank.
This effectively does what you want...but the advantage of having a converter in 1st off the line is lost. Slipping the fwd clutch to get the truck going, you would probably have to check out those clutches after every race day.

September 24th, 2009, 7:38 am #10

What I'm look to do is is put more power down to the track during the mid track 100' to 280' run.
My fellow pullers say I'm losing my mid track run because of converter slippage.

Dan
shazaam -just call me 403-793-5412
Frank Merkl