Taurus S.H.O 5 speed

Taurus S.H.O 5 speed

Mike-E-Clark
Mike-E-Clark

February 2nd, 2004, 6:35 pm #1

How tough is the ford taurus's 5 speed gear box that comes in the S.H.O?Is it a reliable tranny?How well does it hold up to beating on it?

Please give me any info on this tranny you can i recently acquired a S.H.O and was wondering how much abuse can it take?

February 23rd, 2012, 11:51 pm #2

The MTX is a Mazda sourced transmission and has been out of production for a while now so some parts are hard to come by. I believe the 2-3 synchros are prone to breaking. Forget about speed shifting it. My 91 SHO has 130K miles and the only transmission repair I've had to make in the 21 years I've own it is a clutch replacement. Check out SHOForum.com for more specific information.

February 24th, 2012, 1:46 am #3

How tough is the ford taurus's 5 speed gear box that comes in the S.H.O?Is it a reliable tranny?How well does it hold up to beating on it?

Please give me any info on this tranny you can i recently acquired a S.H.O and was wondering how much abuse can it take?
We had a customer (young kid) that had one of those Taurus SHO 5spd.

He beat the snot out of it...

We ended up replacing the trans 3 times with "good used" units because parts were/are hard to get.

With his driving... he came in for a trans replacement every 6-8 months...

***no login***
***no login***

February 24th, 2012, 5:01 pm #4

First, this is a Ford MTX V transmission, not a Mazda transmission.

Of all of the Ford MTX varieties made, this is the only one that came behind a 3.0 motor. Originally the MTX was designed for 4 cylinder motors, where it never goes bad. For the 3.0 Ford made a different case, ratio changes, and some minor updates to SUPPOSEDLY handle the extra horses. But it is still a basic 4 cylinder transmission and will not withstand the abuse that MOST drivers of the SHO give it.

Parts, WHEN AVAILABLE (seldom), are generally expensive and most parts out of other MTXs will not fit. Driven normally, the MTX will probably last a long time. Abuse it, and you will have a car on jackstands most of the time and an empty wallet.

Jim Is Wrong
Jim Is Wrong

June 27th, 2013, 6:44 pm #5

We had a customer (young kid) that had one of those Taurus SHO 5spd.

He beat the snot out of it...

We ended up replacing the trans 3 times with "good used" units because parts were/are hard to get.

With his driving... he came in for a trans replacement every 6-8 months...
Realizing this post is dead, It died on the wrong note. The SHO transmission that were manual were the MTX-IV(4) offered from 1989-1995 for the Taurus SHO. Last guy "NO login" couldnt be more incorrect with the statement of it being a ford tranny. IT IS Ford DESIGNED, Mazda BUILT. Cocky R-Tard....