Need help with multiple C4 problems Part 2

Need help with multiple C4 problems Part 2

April 13th, 2011, 9:12 pm #1

In my previous post, I mentioned that we had installed a C4 that shifted fine initially, then it lost 3rd gear and seemed to be binding up in 2nd.
I have installed another C4 that was supposedly running fine when pulled about a year ago.
When shifted manually, this transmission shiftes into 2nd fairly quickly, but pauses a bit before going into 3rd, and it drags out a bit.
When starting in Drive, the car does not go into 1st, but starts in 2nd.
I warmed it up in the shop and had the fluid level correct, but after the 5 mile road test it is about 1 inch above full on the dip stick. I am going to pump out a bit of the fluid but wanted to see whether anybody has any thoughts on the current problems. It's my sons car and he is axious to drive it, but we are spending all our time swapping transmissions.
(The first transmission was a C6 that 3rd went out in also)

Thanks,
James

truck doctor
truck doctor

April 13th, 2011, 10:03 pm #2

is it posible that the shifter linkage dose not corectly corispond to the transmittion detents. it could give you greaf you may have to rais or lower one of the leaver hole to make things right

April 13th, 2011, 10:30 pm #3

In my previous post, I mentioned that we had installed a C4 that shifted fine initially, then it lost 3rd gear and seemed to be binding up in 2nd.
I have installed another C4 that was supposedly running fine when pulled about a year ago.
When shifted manually, this transmission shiftes into 2nd fairly quickly, but pauses a bit before going into 3rd, and it drags out a bit.
When starting in Drive, the car does not go into 1st, but starts in 2nd.
I warmed it up in the shop and had the fluid level correct, but after the 5 mile road test it is about 1 inch above full on the dip stick. I am going to pump out a bit of the fluid but wanted to see whether anybody has any thoughts on the current problems. It's my sons car and he is axious to drive it, but we are spending all our time swapping transmissions.
(The first transmission was a C6 that 3rd went out in also)

Thanks,
James
Doctor,
I thought that might be the case after the 2nd transmission had problems, but I checked it through the range and the detents appear to match up. (It's a B&M shifter)

Thanks,
James

truck doc
truck doc

April 14th, 2011, 12:39 am #4

yea check the instalation instructions for the b+m shifter you may be using the c6 cable mountin bracket not allowing proper selector syncronization the c4 bracket is different.

James
James

April 14th, 2011, 2:18 am #5

Well I double checked and the detents on the shifter match up with the transmission. However, I noticed that the kickdown lever has no resistance, so apparently the kickdown piston must be stuck. But I don't think that would cause it to start in second and delay 3rd shift would it?

Thanks,
James

truck doctor
truck doctor

April 14th, 2011, 11:03 am #6

yea you may have some v/b problem it may have other stuck valves. rust rust rust