ford c-4 late 70's model

ford c-4 late 70's model

Lade Conlee
Lade Conlee

July 15th, 2011, 10:57 pm #1

i have one in a mustang and it shifts great 1-2 but when it shifts 2-3 it slips bad going into gear once in gear it is fine. it will rev up almost 2ooo rpm before it engages.

I know nothing about it but I am mechanically inclined I can build motors and I am a forklift mechanic.

I was told it could be a bad servo piston or seal.

thanks for your time and thoughts

i have changed fluid and screen and then i did try the ole lucas treatment

July 17th, 2011, 12:34 pm #2

How it reverse? Most likely there's some direct clutch or slip ring concerns. Pull the pan and look for trash in the fluid. You could do an air check but if this is the original tranny, just pull it down and see what you have. You've ordered my video which will show the things to look for.

Ken Collins, BadShoe Productions, How To DVD's specializing in Ford drivetrains www.badshoeproductions.com (banner ad below)
email; badshoe@myway.com

Lade Conlee
Lade Conlee

July 17th, 2011, 3:35 pm #3

I did purchase your video the other day and looking forward to watching.

the trans was recently rebuilt, reverse is fine

i have changed the fluid pan was clean as a whistle, even tried the ole lucas treatment

i had some one tell me it could be the servo gasket could be bad or ripped

i thought about pulling it to see but i was told to pull it i need to drop pan and control valve cause when i pull the servo piston something will drop

July 17th, 2011, 3:49 pm #4

Has it always did this or only recently? Does it only do it at light throttle or also at WOT? If it does this all the time, you could have a damaged release side servo o-ring or the wrong ring. If it only does it at light throttle, you might need to raise TV pressure (longer mod. pin or screw in on the mod. adjusting screw). But again, if it's doing it at full throttle, you'll likely need to disassemble and go through it.

Ken Collins, BadShoe Productions, How To DVD's specializing in Ford drivetrains www.badshoeproductions.com (banner ad below)
email; badshoe@myway.com

Lade Conlee
Lade Conlee

July 20th, 2011, 2:22 am #5

it does it all the time light or wot more throttle the worse it is.

just got dun watching the dis-assembly part of your dvd man i like the video

one quick question with the tranny on the car can i pull the intermediate servo

and replace it and the seals I know i can physically do it but is there any thing tat will fall or mess up if i pull it ?

gregaust
gregaust

July 20th, 2011, 9:05 am #6

Pan + valvebody need to come out to do the servo.The band struts will drop out of place otherwise