FMX year identification

FMX year identification

February 29th, 2012, 1:29 am #1

Okay i just acquired an FMX trans to replace the worn out trans in my 73 mustang, the trans is supposed to have only 80,000 miles on it so I am going to rebuild before installing and add a shift kit as well. My question is, how to tell which year model trans it is, tag is missing from transmission was told it was a 72 fmx and the numbers on trans are D2ap7006AB i know D is for 1970 year model 2 is the exact year and so on. but i also know parts can carry over to the next production year as well is there a way to identify this as a 72 or 73 without the tag because the shift kits from transgo are year specific for the 72 or 73 model am in the process of cleaning the case now to get all of the id numbers and stamps. thanks for any advice on this.

February 29th, 2012, 2:54 am #2

Your part number is a casting number for the case as you probably figured out. Without the tag it gets hard. The valvebody sometimes has a part ID tag on it as well.

All of the rebuild kits will cover ALL years of FMX so that is not a problem.

The valve bodies differ and one way to find out what you have is look at this guide:
http://transgoonline.com/CastIronFordValveBodyID2.pdf

Hope that helps

Pete
Pete

February 29th, 2012, 3:09 am #3

Sir, THANKS for that link to the FOM FMX valve bodies. I can really use that kind of information with my medium case 55 Tbird FOM. Pete

February 29th, 2012, 3:16 am #4

Your part number is a casting number for the case as you probably figured out. Without the tag it gets hard. The valvebody sometimes has a part ID tag on it as well.

The valve bodies differ and one way to find out what you have is look at this guide:

Hope that helps
Thanks Allenman that helps out a lot, i have been looking for something like that but for some reason i did not run across it, might have been looking up wrong thing, i noticed the rebuild kits covered all up to 73 and was thinking that would be no problem, was just a little concerned about valve body and one of the check balls i think on 72 you leave it out and 73 you put it back in for the shift kit

***no login***
***no login***

February 29th, 2012, 8:45 am #5

Hope that helps
I like the info in that link.

However, they only list 5 different Cruiso and 2 different FMX valve bodies. I know of at least 13 different Cruiso and 3 different FMX valve bodies.

February 29th, 2012, 12:23 pm #6

Okay i just acquired an FMX trans to replace the worn out trans in my 73 mustang, the trans is supposed to have only 80,000 miles on it so I am going to rebuild before installing and add a shift kit as well. My question is, how to tell which year model trans it is, tag is missing from transmission was told it was a 72 fmx and the numbers on trans are D2ap7006AB i know D is for 1970 year model 2 is the exact year and so on. but i also know parts can carry over to the next production year as well is there a way to identify this as a 72 or 73 without the tag because the shift kits from transgo are year specific for the 72 or 73 model am in the process of cleaning the case now to get all of the id numbers and stamps. thanks for any advice on this.
The link allenman left is good but some information is out of place.

The first mentioned is a single range transmission and only has PRNDL.

The next mentioned is a dual range transmission, with PRNdDL.

Other than that the info is good.

February 29th, 2012, 10:19 pm #7

Re: FMX year identification
Last edited by thundertc64 on February 29th, 2012, 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 8th, 2012, 11:04 pm #8

Hope that helps
okay i have what might be a dumb question, Would a fmx from a bigger car like lets say an LTD have more clutch's/steel's in it than say a smaller lighter car would have. The reason i asl is a few years back i rebuilt an aod in a 93 T-Bird and the trans had 5 clutch's/steels and the rebuild kit i purchased only came with 4, i called the place where i bought and they said they gave me the wrong aod kit. I have not broke open this fmx yet and i kinda want to order kit tear down clean rebuild all in one day and i want to be sure that the rebuild kit i order is the right one. Thanks for any help.