FMX Woes

FMX Woes

October 18th, 2010, 10:49 pm #1

I have a 70 Torinio that was setting up for about two years. I replaced all the fluids and started the car and went for a test drive. The transmission HIT hard going into 2nd gear the first time it went to change. I do know now that I did overfill the transmission.The next couple of times I drove it, it wouldn't change into 2nd unless I "goosed" it and then it would change after I let off the gas. Now, that being said, I pulled the pan and to drain the fluid and change the filter. While I had it down, I thought I'd replace the modulator valve also. here's where my problem comes in. The mod pin fell down inside the transmission and I can not find it. I have tried a magnet, a piece of wire and compressed air. But I cannot find it much lessget it out. I did check the drain pan and the ground all around the transmission, but to no luck. What are the odds that if I refill the case and instal a new pin, that old pin will fall into the pan and not do any damage? What is my other options? Thanks

October 19th, 2010, 6:59 pm #2

Someone said to pull the valve body and see if the pin is stuck on top of it. What all is involved with pulling the valve body? I already have the pan off so I could change the fluid and filter. What are the steps to remove the valve body? any special things I should watch for? any gaskets? etc..

Mac
Mac

October 19th, 2010, 10:01 pm #3

Put the mod back on with a new pin of the correct length and road test. If the problem is solved just leave the old pin where it is and it will not cause any problems but if the problem isn't fixed then the trans must come apart so you can take the old pin out with ease.
Mac

October 20th, 2010, 2:44 am #4

I have a 70 Torinio that was setting up for about two years. I replaced all the fluids and started the car and went for a test drive. The transmission HIT hard going into 2nd gear the first time it went to change. I do know now that I did overfill the transmission.The next couple of times I drove it, it wouldn't change into 2nd unless I "goosed" it and then it would change after I let off the gas. Now, that being said, I pulled the pan and to drain the fluid and change the filter. While I had it down, I thought I'd replace the modulator valve also. here's where my problem comes in. The mod pin fell down inside the transmission and I can not find it. I have tried a magnet, a piece of wire and compressed air. But I cannot find it much lessget it out. I did check the drain pan and the ground all around the transmission, but to no luck. What are the odds that if I refill the case and instal a new pin, that old pin will fall into the pan and not do any damage? What is my other options? Thanks
Short of turning the car upside down or removing the valve body not much.

It's not likely to get stuck anywhere.

truck doctor
truck doctor

October 20th, 2010, 11:12 pm #5

hey yea i think that the modulator pin must have fallen onto the ground as i don't think that the pin could have tilted out of place and fallin into the pan or fallen ontop of the v/b most times it is stuck into the modulator. just put in a new one and let her fly adjust the modulator for a good fim shift first. these trany's are awsome .

October 21st, 2010, 12:07 am #6

Thanks everyone. I think I will try a new pin and go from there. It does boggle my mind as to where the original pin could have gotten off to tho.
Again, thanks guys..Eddie