FMX Slipping

FMX Slipping

August 6th, 2010, 5:19 am #1

Hello Trans Guru's
I have an FMX trans with just over 1,000 miles on it. It just started slipping in and out of 2nd and 3rd gear. And today the car was parked on a bit of a hill in park, not running, and it slipped back and make a clunk sound. It only moved backward about 2 inches.
Any ideas what this may be ? I do not have a kick down attached to the trans. Someone told me that this could cause a problem....????
I have checked the fluid (In Park and hot) and it was good colr and the right level.
Any help is greatly appreciated !

Thanks !
Ken

truck doctor
truck doctor

August 6th, 2010, 11:13 am #2

hi you may not have the shifter linkage adjusted proper as it does not seem to be going into park properly. check your mounts also.

August 6th, 2010, 4:00 pm #3

Hello Trans Guru's
I have an FMX trans with just over 1,000 miles on it. It just started slipping in and out of 2nd and 3rd gear. And today the car was parked on a bit of a hill in park, not running, and it slipped back and make a clunk sound. It only moved backward about 2 inches.
Any ideas what this may be ? I do not have a kick down attached to the trans. Someone told me that this could cause a problem....????
I have checked the fluid (In Park and hot) and it was good colr and the right level.
Any help is greatly appreciated !

Thanks !
Ken
If your shifter has a cable running from the steering column I have seen some with a roll away concern.

The cable must be replaced to prevent this.

Make sure you have the correct dipstick for the transmission.
By your explanation the fluid level is low.

August 6th, 2010, 4:48 pm #4

There is no cable. It's a floor shifter. And the Dipstick is the correct one. Its the original one that came with the car/trans. I will check the fluid level again tonight, but it hasn't leaked any oil and was working great for the first 999 miles. Could it be a modulator valve ? I know even brand new ones can fail.

Thanks again !!!

August 6th, 2010, 6:52 pm #5

Ok to the shifter and I have seen incorrect dipsticks right from the factory.

Remove the stick and run it down the outside of the tube.

Full level should be close to the pan/case junction.

August 9th, 2010, 8:05 pm #6

I just got a call from the tranny shop and they say they have it fixed. Apparetly the linkage at the trans was not fully engaging at the proper shift points between 2nd and 3rd. Which would explain the park slip issue. Starnge though how it took 1000 miles to rear its ugly head. But if, in fact, this was the problem its way better than what it could have been !!!
I will see after a test drive this afternoon. And of course its raining out !!! It hasn't rained for 6 weeks....But today its gotta rain !!!