fmx engagement chart

fmx engagement chart

November 12th, 2010, 4:44 pm #1

this may be a bit strange but I was wondering if there was a thread to a element engagement on a fmx. I have been playing around with the idea of deleting 2nd and 3rd from my fmx. I use it in a mini puller for several years and it has been pretty much bulletproof when everyone else is chewing up thrusts and plates in c6's. Problem is that it's power hungry. Don't know if it's possible but I'd like to free up some rotating drag and do away with 2nd and 3rd. Don't need anything but low and rev. Any ideas or info would be great, thanks in advance.

November 12th, 2010, 10:08 pm #2

Manual Low uses the forward clutch and rear band.

Manual 2nd uses the forward clutch and intermediate band.

1st gear in Drive uses the forward and O/R clutch.

2nd in Drive uses the forward clutch and intermediate band.

3rd in Drive uses both clutch packs.

Reverse uses the rear/direct clutches and rear band.

About the only thing that could be deleted is the intermediate band and perhaps rollers and springs in the O/R clutch.

Those items don't weigh very much.

scott
scott

November 12th, 2010, 10:14 pm #3

Thanks for the info, I wasn't so concerned about the weight of the internals just the amount of drag created or hp consumed. I have a spare fmx to tear into your info will give me a starting point.

truck doctor
truck doctor

November 12th, 2010, 10:53 pm #4

Manual Low uses the forward clutch and rear band.

Manual 2nd uses the forward clutch and intermediate band.

1st gear in Drive uses the forward and O/R clutch.

2nd in Drive uses the forward clutch and intermediate band.

3rd in Drive uses both clutch packs.

Reverse uses the rear/direct clutches and rear band.

About the only thing that could be deleted is the intermediate band and perhaps rollers and springs in the O/R clutch.

Those items don't weigh very much.
yea i drag race this trany it does very well the only problem that i have is that it is the torque converter that is the hp dog.trying to find someone to build one for me that locks harder stall speed on mine is fine but there is a 10 percent converter slip on the top end. trying to get a 8 inch unit built. this is my quest this winter.

November 13th, 2010, 1:32 pm #5

Thanks for the info, I wasn't so concerned about the weight of the internals just the amount of drag created or hp consumed. I have a spare fmx to tear into your info will give me a starting point.
The components mentioned would amount to as much drag as a spoon being pulled across a table.

November 13th, 2010, 5:22 pm #6

understood, so in other words don't waste my time taking it apart.

November 13th, 2010, 5:25 pm #7

yea i drag race this trany it does very well the only problem that i have is that it is the torque converter that is the hp dog.trying to find someone to build one for me that locks harder stall speed on mine is fine but there is a 10 percent converter slip on the top end. trying to get a 8 inch unit built. this is my quest this winter.
There isn't a lot of aftermarket converters for the fmx. I got one built but it's nothing special just locks up a few hundred rpm faster than the stock. Just enough to get to my cam so I'm happy.