Fluid question ?????

Fluid question ?????

June 20th, 2010, 2:59 pm #1

Hi all,

I posted another one before - but I am wondering, because I am in doubt that there might be anything fine with my tranny, just a BIG ??? about the correct fluid ...

According my manual I shall use Ford C1AZ-19582-A or Automatic Transmission Fluid Type A, suffix A or equivalent fluids acc M-2C33-C for my ´63 Cruise-O-Matic.

I am not sure , is this the same as ATF Type F ??? I renewed the filter and flushed the converter, renewed the complete fluid with fresh ATF Type F - according the data sheet of this fluid this is equivalent to Type A Suffix A ,DEXRON II D, ALLISON C-3,FORD Type M2C-33F/G, -138CJ, -166H ,FORD Type SQM-9010A

So - I am confused. I now have ATF Type F in my tranny, althought there shall be Type A suffix A in ? Is M2C33F/G the same as M-2C33-C (like in the manual) ???

PLEASE , which fluid shall I use ? If the Type F is thicker than Type A, this might be my problem. The tranny works GREAT when she is hot after some miles. Starting cold, the gears are slipping and the third does not come ....

Can anyone please tell me which fluid will be the 100% correct for my transmission and some brands were I can get it ?? I am living in Germany so here are not so many guys who have knowldege of these transmissions...

Thank you
Last edited by Andy-Bo on June 21st, 2010, 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

silverfoxtrans.com
silverfoxtrans.com

June 21st, 2010, 12:55 pm #2

Type F should be perfect.

June 21st, 2010, 1:03 pm #3

Type F was developed later as my 63 Transmssion , right ? Andy why is my manual talking about Type A, Suffix A ?

June 21st, 2010, 3:18 pm #4

Hi all,

I posted another one before - but I am wondering, because I am in doubt that there might be anything fine with my tranny, just a BIG ??? about the correct fluid ...

According my manual I shall use Ford C1AZ-19582-A or Automatic Transmission Fluid Type A, suffix A or equivalent fluids acc M-2C33-C for my ´63 Cruise-O-Matic.

I am not sure , is this the same as ATF Type F ??? I renewed the filter and flushed the converter, renewed the complete fluid with fresh ATF Type F - according the data sheet of this fluid this is equivalent to Type A Suffix A ,DEXRON II D, ALLISON C-3,FORD Type M2C-33F/G, -138CJ, -166H ,FORD Type SQM-9010A

So - I am confused. I now have ATF Type F in my tranny, althought there shall be Type A suffix A in ? Is M2C33F/G the same as M-2C33-C (like in the manual) ???

PLEASE , which fluid shall I use ? If the Type F is thicker than Type A, this might be my problem. The tranny works GREAT when she is hot after some miles. Starting cold, the gears are slipping and the third does not come ....

Can anyone please tell me which fluid will be the 100% correct for my transmission and some brands were I can get it ?? I am living in Germany so here are not so many guys who have knowldege of these transmissions...

Thank you
Type "A" is what your transmission came with.
Type "F" has different compounds and does cause a stiffer shift but won't cause any ill affects.

If the transmission is slow shifting/responding, it could have hardened and shrunk seals.

New fluid may or may not help, time will tell.
Unless it has had internal seals etc replaced they are getting old.
Any form of conditioner at this point would be a waste of money.
Did you adjust the bands when the transmission was serviced?

June 21st, 2010, 3:55 pm #5

Thank you very much Stuart, I appreciate your patience with me totally trans dummy.
These are the specs of the fluid I have in my transmission now:
RAVENOL Automatik-Getriebe-Oel Type F
Art.- Nr. 6413
FORD ESW-M2C-33 F/G

Parameter Unit of measure Data Test method
Color red
Density (at 15°C) g/ml 0.87 DIN 51757
Viscosity (at -25°C) mPa.s 27000 DIN 51377
Viscosity (at 40°C) mm2/s 42 DIN 51562
Viscosity (at 100°C) mm2/s 8 DIN 51562
Flash point (COC) °C 0 DIN ISO 2592
Pour °C -0 DIN ISO 3016

So this is 100% the correct fluid ? I heard Type A is not as thick from the viscosity as Type F ? It sounds so logically that my transmission has only problems when cold due to the "thicker" fluid ....

I have no idea when the transmission was last serviced and when the bands was adjusted last time...

But as I said , the problem only occur when the fluid is cold. When warm after some miles, everything works perfectly ! Cold the second slipps and the third comes too late....can that be the band adjustment ? I am sorry to ask such questions, but I am a dummy at transmissions and here in Germany it is hard to find anyone with knowledge or a shop for these transmssions, and if - I had to pay a lot for just a short look (and I am sure the transmission is okay)....

Thank you, Andreas

June 21st, 2010, 6:46 pm #6

The difference in viscosity is minimal.
Both are close to a 10wt.

The main difference isn't viscosity, but rather the fluid warms up and helps expand the seals.

Drive it for awhile.